Lower control arm bolt size

nathanncnm

Original poster
Sep 29, 2015
wi
I am changing out my lower control arms and was hoping someone could tell me size of the high torque bolts that connect the arm to the frame. I want to make sure that I have the correct size in a heavy duty socket that will stand up to the torque. Thank you

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Bolt heads are 21MM

You must torque to spec, I had a shop not torque to spec and my frame slid forward under heavy braking requiring another alignment on their dime.

The second time I brought my torque wrench and double checked in the parking lot before I left.

Reactions: nathanncnm

nathanncnm

Original poster
Sep 29, 2015
wi
Cool, thank you. Picked up some sockets and rented a heavy duty torque wrench to torque the bolts properly.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I would recommend changing your tie rod ends at the same time since you will need an alignment when you remove the control arm bracket. May as well capitalize on the alignment.

Front lower control arm bracket bolt is 195 foot pounds, rear two bolts are 177 foot pounds.

Reactions: nathanncnm

nathanncnm

Original poster
Sep 29, 2015
wi
Did the tie rods about a month ago. Have one side swapped out already except for connecting the sway bar link as it seems too big to fit in the hole in the control arm. Have most of the other side taken apart except for the 3 large bolts as they were fighting me the whole way out. I got them about half way out and called it quits. Pick up the second control arm tomorrow and will hopefully have it swapped out and at an alignment by the end of the day. Man am I jealous of people with air tools lol

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
  • Tighten the front lower control arm bracket mounting bolt to 265 N·m (195 lb ft).

• Tighten the rear lower control arm bracket mounting bolts to 240 N·m (177 lb ft). Install the lower control arm to the lower control arm bracket.

Install the lower control arm to lower control arm bracket mounting bolts.

Important

Ensure that the lower control arm is parallel to the lower control arm bracket during the installation and tightening of the lower control arm mounting bolts and nuts. This will ensure correct alignment of the lower control arm bushings.

Install the lower control arm to lower control arm bracket mounting nuts.

Tighten the nuts to 130 N·m (96 lb ft).

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I removed the 4 bolts in the two large sway bar bushings and lowered the entire bar, also the upper control arm bolt to move the hub out of the way ... made fitment easier.

The lower brackets need some persuasion, I used a pry bar and a 3lb sledge. Note where the old one sits in the groove and try to replicate it. Make sure the threads are clean and bolt straight... don't strip the bolt. ...you don't want to repair these threads.

coachcraghead

Sep 6, 2018
Missouri
Bolt heads are 21MM

You must torque to spec, I had a shop not torque to spec and my frame slid forward under heavy braking requiring another alignment on their dime.

The second time I brought my torque wrench and double checked in the parking lot before I left.

- I am trying to find replacement mounting bolts for the Lower Control arm bracket. I replaced my upper and lower control arms and other suspension part. The mounting brackets were were rusted out and being uder so much torque I would like to get all new ones.

Anyone have a part number?

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
M16 x 2 x 70

Inputting: 'bolt lower control arm trailblazer' into your search engine of choice should return the info (although one does have to do a second search on the part # to get the bolt size)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brianhvac

Members Online