NEED HELP Low oil pressure

crazyelvis3577

Original poster
Oct 13, 2015
Tennessee
Was driving my 2003 Gmc Envoy XL the other day and turning in a parking lot the check gauges lifht came on and in the DIC it said oil pressure low stop engine. What could be the cause of this. The vehicle is running fine. At idle it’s fine and driving it’s fine. It seems to do it when the vehicle is not moving and I turn the steering wheel like when I back up and turn the wheel to go forward as an example. When this happens the engine seems to bog down slightly and the pressure drops. Could this possibly be a power steering pump going bad bogging down the engine to cause oil pressure to drop? Checked the oil and it’s full, although it is almost time for an oil change. I’ve read something as far as the pressure switch etc etc but it seems to only do it when I cut the wheel. The vehicle drives and idles fine with no issues. Anybody ever have this problem? I wanna try to figure it out before I start throwing money at it.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
If the pressure is on the low side for the switch the slight bog may make it drop low enough that the switch goes out of range...

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Two things I'd do - check the oil PSI with a mechanical gauge since the I6 has a pressure switch, not a real sensor. If the PSI is actually OK, then your switch may be flaking out causing it to trip when it should not be.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'd clean the throttle body and disconnect the battery for 30 minutes while cleaning it. If the RPM drops low enough, the oil pressure might drop enough to trigger the switch.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher