low beam relay question

AnimateDeath

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
My low beams wouldn't work this morning. All other lights worked fine. I checked fuses, all good, and then did the relay swap. Low beams come on. Awesome. So I put the relays back in and the low beams come on. So I must have swapped the relays on accident (I didn't think that I had) but a quick swap and the lights came back on. Is that normal for a solid state relay to just randomly stop working and then start working again? Or is that normal and I need to pick up a spare relay?

Spalding1028

Jan 20, 2012
I don't see why they couldn't have a "hiccup" if you want the reassurance I'd get one. I had my relay go out a few months back. I had to get one from autozone for $30 :hissyfit: if it wasn't dark when it happened, I would've looked around a bit for a more "affordable" one, but at least it has a lifetime warranty on it.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Any electronic component involving soldered components might have a glitch, or the socket could be loose and oxidized. The ultimate root cause may never be known, or it could take thousands of dollars to analyze. If it was a rocket launch gone wrong, it would be worth it. For a GMT360 low beam intermittent failure, it's not. :wink:

AnimateDeath

Original poster
Jan 29, 2012
Thanks for the replies. I called the junk yard down the road and he said he would sell me 2 for $5 if I pulled them myself lol, like that would be hard. :crazy:

joee

Sep 3, 2012
A couple of weeks ago, both my low beam headlights quit shining at the same time. Didn't think both bulbs would blow at the same time so, I started searching and found out that the fan clutch relay and low beam relay are interchangeable. So, I did the relay swap and they lit up. Went to O'Reilly's, bought a new relay, put it in and they've been working since.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher