Low Beam Fuse Keeps Blowing w/HID setup

seanpooh

Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
I currently have my Low-Beams, High-Beams and Fog lights converted to HID by DDM Tuning. All are connected to a relay. The problem is with my Low-Beams. My daytime running lights are on but I have a capacitor to stop the pulsation.

I have the V-Led capacitor mod plug and play for the low-beams connected to the passenger side hook up through the relay. I use the passenger side because I had the relay attached to the driver side at first but then it stopped working. I thought the factory connector burned out so I spliced it and installed a new one but it was a no go. Therefore I use the passenger side. I didn't think at the time to check the fuses.

Now the passenger side low-beam fuse is blowing more than usual. It has been blown twice within a month. All bulbs and ballasts are operational and none of my hook ups are reverse polarity.

Is it safe to keep replacing the fuses with no ill-effects or will this eventually short something more serious? Does this mean the fuse #45 or #46 (I can't remember which deals with the DRL) is failing? I doubt my wiring wrong because everything is straight forward. I know how to check continuity but will that help.

Thanks for any help.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
seanpooh said:
Is it safe to keep replacing the fuses with no ill-effects or will this eventually short something more serious?

No, it is not safe. The fuse is blowing for a reason, so you HAVE to find out what that reason is and fix it. Just replacing the fuse every time it blows is akin to putting in a bigger fuse to prevent it blowing...not a brilliant idea. I'm a noob when it comes to electrical on cars, but I do know that much.

seanpooh

Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
I am using one factory harness as an input on my relay harness which is the passenger side.

I removed the fuses for driver side low beam and passenger side high beam since those are not being used anymore.

Do you guys think because the age of the fuses are a factor? They are 10 years old and the constant usage is putting the fuses to the test?

Right now I have brand new fuses from Autozone. They are the Bussman ones that had a led in that light up when blown. If it blows the new fuses, I will redo all the connections.

kjkim93

Jan 1, 2012
Honestly on my Trailblazer i have both inputs in. I have never gotten a blown fuse yet.

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
You keep popping fuses like that is a sure sign of some other bigger problem looking to strike.

As someone above stated, you need to revisit your setup before something really bad happens.

Age of fuses aren't an issue here. Not that age is ever an issue IMO. Quality, maybe, but not age.

seanpooh

Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
I googled my problem and came up with a few things that are causing my fuse blowing.

1. Because the DRL capacitor, a constant 12V feed day and night is stressing.
2. The gauge of wire of my relay harness isn't up to par to feed the lighting need.
3. Something in the harness has a loss ground.
4. The relay harness is cheaply made and the wires are mixed up.

Is there any other way to imitate the low beam signal to ignite the HIDs by not using the factory connectors?

I am not the best in wiring but I can solder and check continuity.

I'm thinking of running a positive and negative to a switch and then from the switch to the relay harness where the factory wiring would go. And I am assuming there has to be a 10A fuse holder in-between?

Or I can create my own relay harness where the grounds and one power wire go to the switch then from the switch is a fuse holder then connect directly to the battery.

These are just ideas, I'll keep you guys updated on my fuse blowing.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.