Loud Static

wedge1

Original poster
Apr 29, 2013
The car is a 2005 TB EXT with 5.3L engine. All audio components are stock. No changes have been made. Last evening I was backing out of the garage when suddenly loud static blasted out of all of the speakers. It is intermittent. It does not matter whether the radio is on or off, the ignition is on or off, the engine is running or not. If the radio is on, I can hear program, voice or music, in the background. I pulled the battery ground to stop the noise. This morning I went to the BCM fuse block under the rear seat and pulled the radio fuse, #41. I put the battery ground back and started the car. All is normal except no radio and no clock. I wrote something similar last night on an old thread which you may see below. There was no resolution on this thread. Where do I go next? Thanks

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
Does the noise come from all the speakers or only from the front or the rear? I would assume you have a bad ground someone in that wiring system.

Start by Downloading a GM OEM Service Shop Manual for your specific Vehicle (Courtesy @Mooseman) https://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/need-service-manuals-get-them-here.361/

Once you download the shop manual. Look for the pdf named 2006 System Wiring Diagram. In there you will need to find the wiring diagram for the radio. It's usually about 20+ pages long for the radio wiring.

Edit: The radio itself could be bad as well. You can usually pick up a cheap used one from a local, you pull it type of junkyard for around $20. If you want to do a quick test that way.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Edit: The radio itself could be bad as well. You can usually pick up a cheap used one from a local, you pull it type of junkyard for around $20. If you want to do a quick test that way.

Only thing though is that you would need someone with a Tech 2 or the dealer to program the VIN into it. You might be able to use it with the key in the AUX position but will lock up in RUN.

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
You could also try the steps in this video for quick troubleshooting of a junkyard radio. Hold a few buttons and it will work for a short period on your vehicle.

This is a bench test/bypass procedure for those radios, not a permanent fix. You would still need to have it programmed for your vehicle.

wedge1

Original poster
Apr 29, 2013
I have the 2005 service manual which has the schematics of the wiring. It is very complex. I agree that it could be a ground problem, but it's difficult to know where to start. I was wondering whether this could be an amplifier problem. The noise comes from all six speakers. The volume is loud and is not effected by changing the radio volume. I can hear programming, voice, music, underneath the noise. I see that the amplifier is in the back behind the panel on the left side. Is there a way to test the amplifier? Where would I star with the grounds?

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
G102, G201, and G302 are the grounds you should be looking at. Let us know if you have a DVD player and or a navigation system, as there are a few more grounds to look for. When you find G102, there are 4-5 other grounds in that location. I would clean all of those while you are right there.

Make sure that after you clean each of those grounds that you put a dielectric spray/grease over the top and the bottom of each of the bolts.

Make sure that you remove the bolt and clean the bolt and where it connects to the vehicle. I've had a few that looked pristine but, were corroded underneath the bolt. I would also remove the antenna and clean the threads of the antenna and the threads that the antenna screws into.

Once you clean all of your grounds if you still have that annoying static sound... Start unplugging connections to your radio. I would start with the antenna and then there should be two other plugs that connect to the radio. One of them is going to be the power so, unplugging that will not help.

Once you find the power plug, unplug the other connection. If unplugging the antenna and the non-power plug and you still hear the static. I would assume the error in your radio system is the radio itself. I would start by buying a used radio from a junkyard and using the steps I provided above to verify that a new radio will resolve your issue.

G102.PNGG102
G201.jpgG201
G302.PNGG302

wedge1

Original poster
Apr 29, 2013
Here is how this got solved. I gave in and took the car to a place that sells aftermarket car audio systems. It was recommended to me by someone that I trust. He drove the car and listened to the noise. He diagnosed it to be the amplifier. He asked if I wanted to buy a used one or a new one. I told him new. That's just under $300 plus tax. He installed it today. He charged an hour to diagnose it and take it out. He charged an hour to put the new one in and reinstall all of the plastic. It didn't really take him that long. Just over $500. Not cheap, but it works great. That's the closure on this one.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluecorp

Members Online