Loud rattle in rear end

Oemforme

Original poster
Jan 2, 2021
New to the forum, been searching for hours and haven't located any threads with my scenario unless I missed it, if so my apologies.

A couple days ago I was driving my 06 to and hear a loud bang from the right rear, I immediately stop and look underneath and find nothing, so I continue on home, no issue, park her over night, the next morning I leave and gear a loud metallic rattle from same area at speeds 30mph and below, I get to the coffee shop under a mile, check again and nothing, still feels and drives fine just very loud rattle. Yesterday I take to buddy's shop and jack up the passenger side rear, take off the tire, thinking maybe the dust shield around brake, nope. Turn hub a bit and there's the rattle but can't pin point its location.

Anyone else experienced this or with thoughts of where else to check. Luckily I've another vehicle because I don't wanna hurt anything driving her more.

Oh BTW I am not the first owner I've had her 2 years or so. Can't attest to her up keep before me.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Rust belt? Check your rear suspension arms. They have a tendency of rusting and breaking.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Rust belt? Check your rear suspension arms. They have a tendency of rusting and breaking.
I pulled away from a parking spot once and heard the same, turned out one of my rear control arm bolts were loose.

You could also have a damaged locking diff. Open the glove box and see if one of the RPO codes is "G80". If so there's a chance it's in the diff but only speculating.

If you want to check, you would need to pull the rear cover. However, you WILL need to FIRST make sure the FILL plug is loosened so you can remove it. Don't drain the rear diff without making sure the fill plug is loosened first.

If the locking mechanism of the rear diff came apart, you will likely see bits of metal.

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
Another thought just to "make sure" it is coming from the rear is have someone stand outside (like an empty parking lot) and listen to where the sound comes from. Several times I have been mistaken to which end of the vehicle is actually making the loud noise.

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
I was dealing with a metallic rattle sound for the last two weeks, minus the loud bang mine turned out to be the rear u-joint that connects the drive shaft to the rear diff. After getting both sets replaced its been quiet ever since.

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online