Loud banging and strong vibration, HELP!

WeaponX

Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
Pittston, PA
Like it says everytime I go over a normal bump it feels like something is banging around and when I’m stopped with a running engine the whole truck vibrates.
I was told by a head Chevy mechanic I’m good friends with the engine mounts are fine (even though he said to another mechanic “look at the movement in the passenger side”) he’s been wrong before claim it was probably the suspension, WRONG! There is no possible way it’s the suspension I have literally rebuilt the suspension and I truely mean I replaced every single part of the suspension.
I’m truely convinced it’s either an engine or tranny mount or both but how do I check them? I’ve never ran into or fixed mounts before.
Side note is the radiator was replaced by the previous owner but I saw it is loose and is moving all over the place, yes I believe it’s part of the issue but the bumping around is to hard and you can tell it’s something much much heavier than the radiator making the knocking around I feel threwout the truck.
Thanks for all the help guys 😃

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
So, severe vibrations when parked, in gear, idling, etc, definitely sounds like motor mounts. And they're a common failure.

So, unless your motor is coming apart or misfiring, your vibrations are likely from worn mounts.

Reactions: Blckshdw

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I’m truely convinced it’s either an engine or tranny mount or both but how do I check them?

Lift up the front end, slide under and have a look. I thought I had a pic of mine, I know my passenger side motor mount has gone bad. It's split, and the fluid inside dripped out on my garage floor (that's what caused me to look) Typically, it's the passenger side that goes first.

Reactions: xavierny25

WeaponX

Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
Pittston, PA
When I was at the garage and they were checking out the driver side they said had no movement but on the passenger side they said that it lifted up so I’m under the impression the passenger side one is shot but for some reason they told me oh no fixing the suspension I’ll take all that vibration away and noise but it hasn’t so that’s what I’m gonna go for first and from what I’ve seen change in the passenger side motor mount is pretty simple and easy it’s the driver side that’s the pain in the ass. Thanks for the help guys

P.s What about the transmission mounts?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That's also possible. A quick check of all these will confirm. Check the u-joints while you're there and rear suspension. Don't take a garage's diagnosis at face value as some are as skilled as a bag of doorknobs.

• Wow
Reactions: Redbeard

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online