Lost Radio Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry Jastram

Original poster
Oct 25, 2015
USA
When it's cold out, I start my 05 Trailblazer by pushing the "lock" button on the fob 3 times. This past week I touched the brake getting in before the key was in the ignition. The engine died, as it should, but was real hard to restart. When I did get it started, the display on the radio was blank. The radio works, I can change channels with the presets and knob, but nothing displays. Anyone else ever have this problem? Thanks.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just the HVAC display is out? Anything else electrical out of whack?

Jerry Jastram

Original poster
Oct 25, 2015
USA
I don't have a HVAC display, it is the radio display that shows the time and then the station when you switch to different stations. The display is blank but the radio works.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
:duh: Of course. My eyeballs weren't connected to my brain.

Maybe try pulling the radio fuse for a few minutes to reset it. Sounds like there was some sort of power disruption or surge. If not, then it could be possibly be damaged. If you get another one but it would have to be programmed with the VIN. You could test a junk yard radio by plugging it in and turning the key of ACC. It will work until you turn it to RUN, then it will lock. One from a U-Pull should be fairly cheap.

Jerry Jastram

Original poster
Oct 25, 2015
USA
I pulled the fuse, but still had the problem. I disconnected the negative battery cable and shorted it to the positive battery terminal. I usually do this to reset the check engine light hoping it would reset the radio but it didn't. Might be time to pull the radio and send it in for repair.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You don't send those in for repair. Not worth the time or money. Don't even think anybody does repair them. You're better off getting a yard radio. It's just getting it reprogrammed with the VIN that's a pain.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
If the repair price is $100 or more, I'd look at replacing it with an aftermarket touchscreen. There's quite a few really nice ones on the $200 range.

Jerry Jastram

Original poster
Oct 25, 2015
USA
Repair is $179 + shipping, local GM dealer gets a $100 to program a used/salvage radio to my VIN, and local stereo shop will sell me a Kenwood radio, wire harness, and mounting kit for $200. That should end this post, a new radio it will be. Thanks for the suggestions made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online