SOLVED! Lost my left side signals

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Out & about; my left side signals gave up the ghost. The 4-ways only work on the right side, too. So I'm thinking a relay instead of the turn signal switch. Will put a meter on it when I get home; for now, I guess I make 3 rights instead of a left... LOL. j/k

PS: when I activate the left turn signal, I get exactly one 'on' and one 'off' clunk in the dash (& no arrow indicator). Everything else in the stalk seems to be ok, FWIW.

This comes a day after I replaced the DDM (which I didn't have to program, amazingly) and tried to re-init the remotes (the one that came with the truck has worn contacts, especially on the one button.)

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
Out & about; my left side signals gave up the ghost. The 4-ways only work on the right side, too. So I'm thinking a relay instead of the turn signal switch. Will put a meter on it when I get home; for now, I guess I make 3 rights instead of a left... LOL. j/k

PS: when I activate the left turn signal, I get exactly one 'on' and one 'off' clunk in the dash (& no arrow indicator). Everything else in the stalk seems to be ok, FWIW.

This comes a day after I replaced the DDM (which I didn't have to program, amazingly) and tried to re-init the remotes (the one that came with the truck has worn contacts, especially on the one button.)
Unplug your ddm and see if they come back? There is a turn signal that flows through the ddm for the left mirror light.

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Yep, the mirror signal is out on that side, too. But I do have the R/H mirror signal. I'd admonish you for assuming I had them, but you did guess right, so... :biggrin:

Just got home; putting a fresh pot o' joe on and starting to dig thru info now.

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
I wasn't assuming you had the turn signal lights in your mirrors. I was going off the premise that you just replaced the driver door module which has the turn signal run through it. I would unplug the module and check whether the turn signal fuse is blown and test. I would cost you nothing and it would be a quick simple check if your driver's door module is the culprit.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I guess I make 3 rights instead of a left... LOL. j/k

Didn't you have to learn hand signals when you went to driving school? I know I did. I asked at the time "why learn this?" and they said "in case the signals stop working". And even today, the driver's side window must open to pass safety for this reason as well.

Like @coolasice said, try the thing that was changed first (DDM) which sounds like a possible culprit, along with fuses. I'd be pointing a possible finger at the stalk but the 4 ways aren't working on the left neither so... Schematics will be your friend here.

• Haha
Reactions: Reprise

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Didn't you have to learn hand signals when you went to driving school?

I *did* say I was just kidding. Calice! :argue: And, yeah, I know them... since I was like 10, riding bicycles! Driving 'school', indeed!

Good thing I replaced my DDM (the contacts for both the d/s front window and the door lock buttons were worn). Now I can roll my window down to tell the world of my plans... :tongue:
Although, these days, I wonder how many drivers would think I was just waving at someone.

Looks like the flasher is the culprit. Not available locally (WTF?), but Amazon promises delivery of the gin-u-wine ACDelco tomorrow, so it's on the way. Sadly, the one in the Voy isn't the correct one, but it was close enough to test with, at least.

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
Funny... I didn't even look what vehicle you were working on(mobile site doesn't tell you what subforum you are in)... I thought it was a trail/voy...

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Funny... I didn't even look what vehicle you were working on(mobile site doesn't tell you what subforum you are in)... I thought it was a trail/voy...

Sorry about that. I *usually* signify whether I'm talking Sierra or Envoy; in this case, I was in a restaurant waiting for my food order the other day and just typed out a quick note (although I did pick the correct subforum). Figured someone might have a quick solution before I got home and tore everything apart.

So here's my status... my issue isn't the relay... rather, the underdash 10A fuse blows when the signal is activated. Took out the taillight (I had just replaced one of the backup bulbs the other day) -- pulled the new light and still blew.

Took off the front headlamp and turn signal housing -- the inner turn signal lamp (DRL?) had a burnt connector. Looks like it had been burned for quite a while, although I didn't notice it when I swapped out the housings a few weeks back. Pulled the bulb out of there, fuse blew again when I activated the signal.

The fuse blows immediately whether I activate the 4-way flashers, or the turn signal lever. Looks like I'll have to break out the meter again. Other than the burnt out housing (which I'll have to get a new one and splice in), wiring / insulation looks good, at least. The multi-function switch also has a lead for the flasher connection (it's on the column).

I did swap the old DDM back in as a test -- that's when I tracked down the fuse. But IIRC, when the old DDM was in, and I had replaced the fuse, it was working. So I guess I'll go out and pull the door panel again (getting quick at it, now!) and try the old DDM again. Shoulda bought two packs of the 10A fuses - only 2 good ones left :sadcry:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Whenever I go to the u-pull yard, I usually fill my pockets with fuses and relays to cover the yard entry fee. :biggrin:

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Well, it looks like I may be visiting the u-pull (or, they-pull)... it's the new DDM. Old one keeps fuse intact.

Found one via car-part (since the part # has been superseded (?), I figure pulling one from a similar truck w/ same mirror option (DL3, which is the full-boat heated / signal / folding / dimming) may work a treat.

2nd round of kudos to @coolasice for the right answer.
Pair of handcuffs to @Mooseman for stealing fuses. :laugh:

Reprise

Original poster
Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Small postscript... as it turns out, I ultimately got the best resolution... fixed & free (except for time spent)

I was able to disassemble the old DDM, clean the contacts / membrane, reinstall, and... voila! 'New' DDM ! LOL

If anyone wants a write up, let me know, and I'll do a 'how to', as a new thread
(and I *did* take a few pics, too)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online