Loosening Lug Nuts a Problem on TB?

bingnune

Original poster
Aug 29, 2015
Midwest for now
First post on here, and I searched pretty hard to see if anyone had ever posted about this before. I am trying to rule out possibilities, so I thought I would ask here (the experts on our trucks) to find out if anyone has insight to the problem. I have a 2003 Chevy TB EXT LT 4.2L I6 4x4 with about 165,000 miles now. I bought it used in early 2013. It was a bit rough mechanically, and had ABS/brake issues from the start. I don't know anything about fixing mechanical stuff. I am a body/electronics kind of guy... I don't get carburetion, manifolds and such, or which way the gas and oil go in the engine! (until now, anyway, thanks to these forums and YouTube videos! I'm in the middle of a valve cover gasket replacement, which includes the really fun intake manifold bolts! As a 3-4 hour job-by Mooseman's directions-I am now more than three weeks ahead of that! Started week 4 today and realized I forgot to torque my valve cover before installing the manifold. I basically get to start from almost the beginning again!)

Anyway, I digress...

I had really bad upper and lower ball joints and had some issues with handling to start with after purchasing the truck from a dealer (that I would never go back to if they were the only ones selling cars.) I was told by one mechanic that my computer was bad and it was telling my brakes wrong info and I would have to replace the computer, wiring and probably hubs or something like that. I walked out and decided to deal with the strange noises. It always stopped when I needed it to, so I wasn't going to throw all that money at it (especially without a second opinion!) And, no, I never went back to that shop either...

I had all four stock wheels on the truck for about 6 months after purchase. There was a steel wheel and spare tire that was mounted in April 2014 because of a flat tire from the uneven wear of the ball joints. I milked it as long as possible because I didn't have the money to replace the tires. The steel wheel was ugly, but it worked and the tire was brand new. It did not match the stock wheels and the lug nuts were fully exposed, unlike with the covering cap on the stock wheels.

My truck was routinely backed into a parking spot in a parking garage while I worked a 10.5 hour shift since May 2013. In April 2015, I experienced a strange occurrence, in which all of my lug nuts loosened, and I was unaware of it. Within two days, of course, the wheel was about to come off the truck while we were driving down the highway after a night out. After getting up the next morning, I checked the ball joints and they appeared as they always did. However, the tire moved when I leaned up against it to look. I checked, and all six nuts were loose on the steel wheel.

I was a bit freaked out because I had some suspicion, but did not pursue that train of thought even though everyone told me I should. I assumed it was a fluke and set to tightened them back up. One of the stems broke, so I took it to a shop that replaced the stem and fixed the lower ball joints. They said they had never heard of all six nuts loosening spontaneously on a vehicle, and I should be careful. I agreed that it was weird, but I didn't want to think what I was already thinking. I was going to go back to get the uppers changed after I had the money for that. There was still a little movement from the uppers being shot, but nothing like that wheel being loose!

Fast forward into a Sunday in late July 2015. I bought new tires for the truck and had them installed at a Sam's Club (Goodyear 265/75/16 for those that want to know...) on the stock rims. I drove away and still had the movement from the upper ball joints, but the new tread felt great on the tires after getting pretty close to the wire again. Within two days, I had developed what went from a shimmy to a shake to a terrifying ride in an unbalanced washing machine on spin cycle! I immediately took it to the shop (at about 20 mph on the highway) and dropped it off for him to work on it. I called Sam's and told them that they better get their insurance company on the phone.

I got a call after my mechanic took off the cap from the hub and one of the stems fell out onto the floor. All six lug nuts were loose and the stems were chewed up from the nuts. Again?!? Since I had just had the tires installed and the rim put back on the truck, I naturally assumed it was the installer at Sam's who had improperly tightened the lug nuts. I filed a claim with their insurance company. After the investigation was complete, it was determined that the service attendant did in fact properly installed the tires and wheels. They had video documentation of the proper pattern being used to torque them.

My question is, is this something that is common for the left front wheel of the 03 TB? Should I suspect any other reason, other than some manufacturing defect in the original stems after 12+ years, as to why all six lug nuts keep coming loose on that specific wheel? Has anyone else experienced this (even once in their lifetime, much less twice in less that six months!)? Has this happened to ANYONE here?

A side note: The wheel was pretty much destroyed according to my mechanic (who would not put it back on the vehicle because of liability issues), because the holes had been bored out by the lug nuts. I am not sure if that is necessarily true, because they are aluminum... Can these be fixed? Or, do I have to find a match and buy that too...?

Thanks for reading this incredibly long post and for any help you can give me. I think I'm down to only one viable reason this is happening, if this isn't a manufacturing issue. *Crossing my fingers*

Brendan

Attachments

• 2015-07-31 11.55.20.jpg
    2015-07-31 11.55.20.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 2015-07-31 12.00.00.jpg
    2015-07-31 12.00.00.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 15

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Welcome to the Nation! One helluva first post!

Been there, done that with both steel and aluminum rims. I think it happened once on my TB but it happened most often on my 99 Montana (5 bolt) van and later on our 08 Montana SV6 (6 bolt). Seemed to happen more with the aluminum rims. I've had studs break on their own and also during retorquing.

I'd say replace all the studs and the wheel. I wouldn't trust that wheel with the egged out holes as it won't hold the proper torque.

I now have the habit of checking the wheels every so often, especially after an install. I also don't trust the impact wrench.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I've actually never had that happen. Are you tightening them enough? 103 ft lbs (I always just rounded to 105).

I wouldn't use that wheel, nor would I use those studs or those lug nuts. Replace it all. I know, more money, but not worth screwing with it.

By the way, that rotor doesn't look exactly healthy.

Reactions: Mounce

stickypoop

Oct 14, 2014
A build up of corrosion on the back of the wheel where it meets the hub (rotor) surface can cause it to not sit flush and perhaps work things loose. Once you get your replacement wheel, I would start with brushing off both surfaces and look into a set of wheel locks. If they all go loose except the lock you may be looking at something intentional

BC backroader

Sep 6, 2014
I don't know about shops where you are in Mo., but here in BC, Canada, every shop that has ever touched my wheels always tells me to return after driving 100km (60 mi) to have the lug nuts rechecked for proper torque, not just on the TB, but other vehicles too, so It sounds like something you should check, if your shop doesn't.

I'd suggest getting a complete hub and rotor assembly, new if you can afford it, or from a recycler, if you can't, and agree with the posters above that the wheel should be replaced too.

In 55 years of driving, I recall having lug nuts loosen just twice.

Reactions: Mounce

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
I second looking into replacing the hub and lug nuts. The hub shouldn't cause the loosening but with so many issues it'd be good to have 6 fresh studs in case the old rusty (they look rusty at least) ones are the issue.

NJTB

Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
I worked in a dealership in the 80's, and yes, had lots of troubles with the aluminum wheels loosening up.
Don't know why, but some were more prone to it than others.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
NJTB said:
I worked in a dealership in the 80's, and yes, had lots of troubles with the aluminum wheels loosening up.
Don't know why, but some were more prone to it than others.
Aluminum expands and contracts significantly more then steel when heated. So my guess is the heat cycling allows them to work their way loose much easier. Just a guess anyway.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Sparky said:
I've actually never had that happen. Are you tightening them enough? 103 ft lbs (I always just rounded to 105).

By the way, that rotor doesn't look exactly healthy.
To the OP:
:tiphat: :tiphat: Welcome :tiphat:

In case you haven't heard:
http://gmtnation.com...eres-the-story/

The Owners Manual for my 2003 Envoy calls for just 100 ft.lbs. and they have never loosened.
Also, that rotor is pretty rusty and looks odd. Not like mine. Maybe just the angle of the picture.

bingnune

Original poster
Aug 29, 2015
Midwest for now
Thanks for all the welcomes and replies. As far as aluminum being more prone due to a heating cycle, the first time it happened was on a steel wheel. I'm not sure the issue was the wheel, honestly. After a year of driving with that steel wheel (and becoming involved in the union at my job), the first of many strange occurrences began with the lugs.

I replaced all the lug stems already, but will look into rotors and hubs. The wheel will definitely be replaced, and I'm 'using' the steel wheel again for now. I say that because it has been out of commission for four weeks because of my valve cover adventure. I just have very limited cash flow. That's why I decided to tackle the engine and ended up here!

I'm surprised there were so many of you that have had this happen. It seems to be pretty rare within my circles. That makes me feel a little less paranoid, not much, but a little. I still think there was a bit of funny business because I had the first lugs in April, gas siphoned in June, second lugs in July, something stolen from my work locker in August, multiple times of my locker being unlocked when I would return the next day, and so much more I couldn't possibly list...

Thanks again for the advice. Where do you all suggest to look for a rotor/hub assembly? Major chain stores, online stores, craigslist, junkyards, the dealer? (And what brand oil do you use? Just kidding! I was really baiting some wild responses there, wasn't I?!)

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I know a few people like Detroit Axle hubs (can find them on ebay and I think Amazon), they're fairly inexpensive. I've never used them so I can't give first hand experience with them.

The rotor is the brakes, it isn't part of the hub assembly. Should match sides and probably get new pads too to match it all. Something just looks really bad with those on there right now like the brakes aren't even doing anything. Just give it a good front brake job and make sure the slide pins and caliper pistons all move as they should. I've used Brakemotive on ebay, not badly priced but still good stuff. Local parts stores would be fine too but may actually cost more (convenience factor often times).

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online