Loose Rattly Brake Pedal

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
My brake pedal is SUPER loose. I don't think it's broken or dangerous, but it is extremely annoying. Whenever I'm going over bumps, it rattles all over the place. Its very loud too, I thought my swaybar links had fallen off or something. Then I happened to apply the brakes once as it was rattling and it stopped and I realized that was the problem all along!

I figure this is probably a pretty common problem, is there any way to fix it? I haven't been under there yet to check it out, but I'm hoping I can take out the "axle" the pedal pivot on and just add some brass and/or vinyl bushings in there to tighten it up.

But hopefully someone else has done this repair and can give me some solid advice not based on my guesses :biggrin:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I believe you are the first.

jsheahawk

Jan 16, 2013
Kansas City
Grab one from a junk yard. I've never really paid attention to mine, but I'd assume you can just replace the whole thing.

Reactions: Mooseman

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I haven't been under there yet to check it out

I think you'd be best served by at least poking your head under there and getting eyes on it first. Or at least a work light and a hand mirror. It's hard to give advice on fixing a problem when you don't know exactly what the problem is yet. There might be a bolt/nut that just needs a couple of turns.

Reactions: Sib

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Could also be as simple as a loose bolt, which would not be good on a brake pedal :yikes:

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
I would have thought brake pedals had no bolts, because bolts can get lose and then no more braking. But I'll get under there and check it out.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Oh they do have a bolt. In fact, I had to bring our new '15 Tahoe to the dealer for a recall for that very bolt, which apparently had a tendency to get loose. They just added red Loctite.

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
Took a quick look. Although the rattle feels big and sounds loud, there isn't a TON of movement. But the movement is both at the main pivot of the pedal, and where the pedal presses the... actuator? There is nothing that looks loose, it just looks like theres lots of play in the system. I don't see anywhere where I could add some washers to tighten it up either. I need to take a closer look in the daylight.

mtXCrbR.jpg

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
My rattley brake pedal is still driving me crazy. I took video of it today. It's not apparent to me by looking, where or how the pedal can come out. In other words if I were to replace it, I can't see how much of it IS the pedal. Would a new pedal replace the point where it's rattling? Is there something else I can do to fix things.

Again the biggest issue is that it rattles when you hit bumps in the road, and feels/sound like theres some serious sway bar issues. But it's not, all the noise and vibration is there in the brake pedal.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Have you tried taking it apart? There might a bushing or something in there or missing a spacer. I couldn't find the pedal assembly in the online microfiches.

RedRocketZ28

May 16, 2014
Last edited by a moderator:

dna59

Nov 20, 2015
Belize
I have the same problem with mine and it has been driving me crazy. Will be trying this fix this evening after work.

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
My Rainier's pedal is doing the exact same thing. It just recently started doing it as well. I plan on taking a look at it this week after work when I have some time. I'll report back if I figure anything out.

http://www.tbssowners.com/forums/general-tbss-questions/205161-brake-pedal-shake.html

Found a thread on the TBSS Forum. Over there it seems like a fairly common problem.

EDIT: This is the thread you want though...

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=391641

I'm going to try this soon. I figured it was loose just from 100,000+ miles of pushing the brake, metal wore the bushing out. But if it's just a loose bolt, that will be fantastic.

dna59

Nov 20, 2015
Belize
I did it and it surely solved my problem. It's amazing how such a small fix can make a big difference.

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
Wow worked for me too! When you look up there, it doesn't look like a loose bolt. It looks like warn bushings. But I tightened it super tight with a pair of 18mm sockets and now its not moving at all. Pretty happy!

RedRocketZ28

May 16, 2014
I haven't messed with mine yet. Will do that this weekend when I install the new rear airbags.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.