Looking to buy

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Looking to buy an OEM resonator and pipe to muffler(do not need muffler) for my 07 Denali....so it has to be for the 5.3 V8.I'm pretty sure any 360 platform with the V8 would work excepting the TB SS....thanks,Mike.

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
jrSS said:
Umm. I am pretty sure all resonators are the same for all 360's.

Yeah you would think so but, that's not what I'm seeing.If you look at aftermarket stuff like Walker you see resonators listed for the 4.2 only.As a matter of fact,the 5.3 is excluded from every exhaust manufacturers list to the point that it seems that nobody wants to touch the 5.3 exhaust.
I'm wondering if what I read about the exhaust system being a dedicated design to inhibit the sound of the AFM(DOD) mode might have the exhaust people shying away....Mike.:undecided:

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Seriously, I think every resonator I have cut off (there have been a lot) have been the exact same.

Why are you trying to put it back on when so many people are removing that ugly trash can?

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Regulator said:
Seriously, I think every resonator I have cut off (there have been a lot) have been the exact same.

Why are you trying to put it back on when so many people are removing that ugly trash can?

Since nobody makes a cat back for the 5.3 Iam goin to make my own and I want it to look factory except for the tips which will be 3" straights.Iam not looking to gain performance and the sound is already throaty enough for me besides it would be a shame to violate the ultra quiet cabin of the Denali.
Don't get me wrong,I would put a Borla or Magna flow on in a heartbeat but those people have nothing for the 5.3,from what they have told me and have told me that the SS cat back won't fit up....for $1K I wouldn't take a chance...just sayin',Mike.

ps if anybody responds to this WTB,Iam leaving for a weeks vacation today:yes: and will respond when I return.

strat81

Dec 29, 2011
northcreek said:
it would be a shame to violate the ultra quiet cabin of the Denali.

FWIW, the cabin noise level of my 5.3L Rainier did not change when I cut my resonator off. I get more tire and wind noise than anything else.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
northcreek said:
Since nobody makes a cat back for the 5.3 Iam goin to make my own and I want it to look factory except for the tips which will be 3" straights.Iam not looking to gain performance and the sound is already throaty enough for me besides it would be a shame to violate the ultra quiet cabin of the Denali.
Don't get me wrong,I would put a Borla or Magna flow on in a heartbeat but those people have nothing for the 5.3,from what they have told me and have told me that the SS cat back won't fit up....for $1K I wouldn't take a chance...just sayin',Mike.

ps if anybody responds to this WTB,Iam leaving for a weeks vacation today:yes: and will respond when I return.

I'm willing to bet that the SS catback would fit up 99% of the way because they are the same chassis. Maybe right where it attaches to the manifold/Y pipe off the engine might be a little different but nothing an exhaust place couldn't adjust for.

deepblue

Dec 5, 2011
It's my understanding that ANY ss catback system (magnaflow. corsa, borla...) will fit the the 5.3's. The only thing you would need to add is the rear ss hanger (GM #15786935) which is not on the 5.3's.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
deepblue said:
It's my understanding that ANY ss catback system (magnaflow. corsa, borla...) will fit the the 5.3's. The only thing you would need to add is the rear ss hanger (GM #15786935) which is not on the 5.3's.

But I think with the DOD it would sound like a 4cyl ricer when it goes in 4 cyl mode. Prob okay if the DOD is turned off tho. Anyone know the difference between a 5.3 DOD muffler and a TBSS muffler. I bet the stock gm 5.3 DOD muffler would cost more than a stock TBSS muffler.

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
You guys make some interesting and logical points and after clearing my head on that weeks vacation Iam scrapping my resonator idea because as already said "it is truly ugly".
I need to find a person that has put an SS system on a 5.3 to clear up some questions.Iam amazed at how disinterested the exhaust people are when you put a question to them...no help at all...Mike.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
northcreek said:
You guys make some interesting and logical points and after clearing my head on that weeks vacation Iam scrapping my resonator idea because as already said "it is truly ugly".
I need to find a person that has put an SS system on a 5.3 to clear up some questions.Iam amazed at how disinterested the exhaust people are when you put a question to them...no help at all...Mike.

I think the 5.3 with DOD limits what you can do. Maybe you can get a tune that turns off the DOD, and go with a Borla, Corsa or SS cat back system. You most likely would be very happy with one of those? There are videos on youtube you can watch too.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.