Looking for opinions for some new tires..

Which tires?

• Hankook Dynapro ATm RF10

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yokohama Geolander A/T-s

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Michelin LTX M/S

• Michelin LTX A/T2

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Treadwright

• Other? (please post)

• Total voters

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I currently have some Hercules Tera-Trac tires on my XUV, they were new on the truck when I bought it. 32k miles later, they are about dead. They had a UTQG rating of 520-A-B.

The Tires I am considering are..

Hankook Dynapro ATm RF10 DiscountTire 650
Yokohama Geolander A/T-S Tirerack for 600
Michelin LTX M/S Tirerack for 720
Michelin LTX A/T2 Tirerack for 728

Any other suggestions..

I am looking for something that is going to give me good mileage wear, low/minimum noise, and be able to plow thru the worst of it, and not break the bank. Although I have not taken my XUV off road yet. That will likely change as I head up to my cabin later this year, go ATV'ing thru the summer, and Snowmobiling next winter. Which is why I was looking for an A/T. What I mean by the worst of it, when people normally look out their door, see snow, ice, and can hear wrecks happening in the distance, and run back inside.. I smile, chuckle to myself, and say this is going to be FUN! and head to work.

I was also considering TreadWright, but it looks like that company has become unreliable. However, they are well within my budget at 415 shipped for the A/P, or 383 Shipped for the Puma A/T. Should I still consider them?

Opinions, Suggestions?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I have no experience with any of those so I can't comment on them, but I can say I have been very happy with my Firestone Destination A/Ts. I've had great traction with them and excellent life. My first winter with them I was plowing through a level 2 snow emergency with several inches on the roads and had no issues at all (in 4x4 of course). They're rated for 50k miles but I have 59k on them and still tread left. I'll be replacing them this fall before winter gets here as they will be too thin for my liking by then for another winter. Recently in the past thousand or so miles they've started to get a little noisier, but can't complain much since they're near the end of life anyway.

Only thing is I've really not taken them off road much, so little to comment on there.

I'll probably be getting another set, but the sad thing is they may outlast the truck. I'm doubting I'll be getting another 3 years and 60k miles out of it :frown:

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
I love my LTX m/s'!!!:yes:

best all around suv/truck tire I've driven! Worth every penny.

I went in asking for a cheap tire and just as they were to take my keys I asked how much of a break they would cut me to get the michelins. $850 out the door.

I debated the cross terrains. They appear to be a hair softer and quieter and not as aggressive looking, for an all season. The ltx m/s is great. 2wd uphill in a couple inches of the slushy stuff. Rain performance is hard to beat. You wont be disappointed

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
TollKeeper said:
I was also considering TreadWright, but it looks like that company has become unreliable.

Please enlighten me on this.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Short Bus said:
Please enlighten me on this.

Hardtrailz has had a large issue with them. IIRC there have been some others on here that had had problems with their tyres.

I'm another vote for the Firestone Destination A/T's. They really are a good tyre, however, I'm probably going to get the LE2's next go around because I don't off road and if you look at the ratings for them and the A/T's, people rate the LE2's higher.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Yeah, well, highway tread looks plain and boring :raspberry:

triz

Apr 22, 2013
I love my Continental CrossContact LX $481.32 at TireRack. I'm on my second set that I bought at DiscountTires Direct paid way more at DTD. I dont think they make them anymore and looks like the LX20 might be the replacement now. But I really like the Continental Tire brand and my Trailblazer is the first that I have used them. I also run Continental Extreme DW on my 2003 Toyota Mr2 Spyder and they are great!

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Sparky said:
Yeah, well, highway tread looks plain and boring :raspberry:

I know....but I'm boring! :thumbsup:

TollKeeper

Original poster
Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Wow, a forum this full of members, and can only get 5 votes?

I am considering the Michelins still, but the A/T's. Anyone have any experience with them??

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
TollKeeper said:
Wow, a forum this full of members, and can only get 5 votes?

I am considering the Michelins still, but the A/T's. Anyone have any experience with them??

a little stiffer than the m/s and more so than xterrains. Louder, than the others but good for an A/T tire. If u keep up with rotating them often, you may see similar lifespan as well. its a Michelin and you'll like it. m/s was the compromise I wanted and the cheapest on day of purchase. A/Ts were spendy.

I put too much time into my tire homework. Others dont want to tell you to buy something you may not like that has very little to do with longetivity. Idk, my .02

smitty5150

Nov 18, 2011
If you aren't willing to chance treadwright, I'd say the hankook or yoko. Though, firestone destinations and general grabbers would be on my lust above those.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Grabbers are a good tire. Hts wasn't aggressive looking enough and I didn't want an A/T. Could be wrong, but I believe the roadie had A/T grabbers back in the day. The highway tire is very highly rated and often a best buy for$. M/s' feel so much better perhaps because they are not as soft maybe?

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
take a look at the Toyo Open Country AT II.

They have really good reviews and are usually reasonably priced.
I recently bought a set in 265/75/16 and they have been a good tire that is pretty quiet even in 10ply and have done well for me in mild to moderate mud.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramblinjon

Members Online