Looking for Mechanic in Rochester, NY

nova72

Original poster
Jan 13, 2021
Rochester, NY
Hi, looking for a mechanic/shop in Rochester, NY to remove/replace a cylinder head on a 07 Trailblazer, 4.2 L I6 motor. Looking for someone that has done this before. Thanks!

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
It looks like you're about 75 mi away, via I-390, from Avoca. If I were that close, I'd give serious consideration to at least calling South Main Auto, and taking the truck there.

Why them? Check out their videos on YouTube. The guy who makes them has a very good rep, honest and thorough. I have no idea on his pricing, but I'll guess he's competitive.

I don't live in NY (there's a member who does ( @xavierny25 ) but he's at the other end of the state, in NY Metro. He and his brother could definitely fix it, if you're looking for direct member assistance. The brother is a certified mechanic with a garage / business in NYC. It won't be free, but it'll be fixed right there, too.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just a fair warning, it's a labour intensive job that WILL cost a lot, not including the head work.

What leads you to believe you need to replace the head?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Hi, it runs rough, no power and no compression on #5 cylinder.
Have you tracked down where it is losing compression? A leakdown test would pinpoint it.

Is replacing the motor a better option?
I would say so. Head bolts break and it's always the rear ones with the least accessibility. Exhaust manifold bolts are also notorious. Special tools are required for the timing chain. Probably for the cost of the head recondition alone, you could find a good complete used engine.

Just be sure you get an 06 or 07 engine for 100% compatibility. 02-05 can be made to work with minimal modding (extend coolant temperature sensor wiring). 08-09 engines CANNOT be used.

nova72

Original poster
Jan 13, 2021
Rochester, NY
Thanks for the input. Good to know about 06 & 07 motors. Have not done a leak down test. The other piece of information is that 4, 5, & 6 all have misfires. Nothing on 1, 2 & 3, which makes it suspect that it may be more than head issues. 138000 mikes on it. Never had any issues.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Although there are some that have replaced the head on the 4.2.. At the end of the day, its not really worth it, in my opinion. Buying a used engine is a better alternative, or even a new engine. By the time you consider all the labor, its probably the same amount to replace a head as it is to replace the whole engine new.

New remanufactured engines are roughly 3000, used go from 300 up to 3000.

I also recommend South Main Auto, he has yards that he works with, and can basically turn it into a one stop shop. Diagnose if your engine is repairable, or needs major work and replacement.

Who knows, your truck may make it onto YouTube, and we can talk about it more!

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Found this, and all things considered this might be a better place to put your hard earned money. Only 60 k and located in Rustchester NY....probably not too rusty with that mileage.:biggrin:

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Found this, and all things considered this might be a better place to put your hard earned money. Only 60 k and located in Rustchester NY....probably not too rusty with that mileage.:biggrin:

And @northcreek wins the thread for 'best option'.
If the vehicle checks out, it's a no-brainer, at that price / mileage.

Make sure to check:
- Why there are covers on the seats (remove & look)

- What shape the tires are in (they look to be needing replacement from what I can see of the tread, and check the mfg date code on the sidewall).

- Since a Reese tow hitch is mentioned... there might only be 60K mi on the truck, but towing miles are harder on a vehicle. Make sure to check the condition of the trans fluid (and if you buy it, do a filter / fluid change as soon as you can, which is good practice on any used vehicle you have no history on, anyway).

Just a suspicion on my part, but while 'grandpa' might not have been driving it much, I get the feeling for some reason that maybe 'grandson' was -? Nothing to get overly worried about; just something for thought.

Reactions: Mooseman

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Further proof that an old Gentleman was the previous owner....who else doesn't remove the Dealer badge as soon as they get home?.....answer, my dad, because he thought he would get better service if left on the back.... :undecided:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I think the "reese hitch" is just the seller not knowing that its a factory hitch.

Like saying a 3/4 ton truck has a tow package.. Really?

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Further proof that an old Gentleman was the previous owner....who else doesn't remove the Dealer badge as soon as they get home?.....answer, my dad, because he thought he would get better service if left on the back.... :undecided:
LOL... if anything, they look in the dealer record on the computer to see if the customer bought it there... and they *might* get their vehicle worked on a little earlier than someone who didn't -- but that's about it. Warranty customer, warranty non-customer, paying customer, paying non-customer. And parts availability could affect any part of that pecking order.
When I was buying Hondas left & right, my sales guy knew by the 3rd sale that I didn't want to see a trunk sticker (much less a badge), a dealer license plate frame, or for that matter, a front license plate holder (even though 2 plates are required in my state). The first one I bought from him (from dealer stock), I had them remove dealer applied pinstriping (the peel / stick-on kind, not paint). That's one reason I stuck with him -- he remembered how picky I was about not having my car be a billboard.

I think the "reese hitch" is just the seller not knowing that its a factory hitch.

Like saying a 3/4 ton truck has a tow package.. Really?

I went and looked again, and... you're absolutely right. I was thinking an external hitch - like a weight-distributing one. Yes, 'Reese' is a generic term some ppl use for all hitches, even the factory-installed ones. I've heard people use it that way, about my own (and neither the factory hitch, nor my WDH, is a Reese).

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Well somebody jumped on that low mile TB. Was it @nova72 ?... I guess we'll never know.:confused:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online