Looking for LED headlights? I have a suggestion.

JPutnam

Original poster
Jun 30, 2017
Ft. Bragg
I haven't seen a post on here where anyone talked about LED headlights. I bought some last year for my Tahoe to replace my HID's that were just a PITA. The ballasts were always dying and the beam pattern was awful because of how long the bulbs were. The light was not hitting the reflectors at the right angles, thus the glare.

I ended up buying a set off ebay from a company called MostPlus. The name sounded shady but a co-worker swears by them and they produced that nice CREE pure white beam. The light was warmer and similar to higher in vehicles that had stock LED headlights. The kit I ordered came with both sets of 9005 and 9006 for $50, so I figured there wouldn't be much to loose by trying them out.

s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120W-15200L...ash=item3d33831bc0:g:-fkAAOSwCU1Yprhu&vxp=mtr

They did not disappoint when they arrived. These bulbs had the led's at the exact position as the filaments of the original bulbs so the angles were perfect and glare was minimal. They are built sturdy, have powerful fans, and the buck converter is wired nicely down the harness with the ability to be replaced. Plus unlike other bulbs they have a smaller heat-sink to fit more housings. They fit the Trailblazers housings almost perfectly, except for the passengers side low beam which had to be handled a bit. (Probably should have trimmed the housing around the top right of the heat-sink.)

2017-07-15 17.53.25.jpg 2017-07-15 17.53.54.jpg

The led's on each side of the bulb line up perfectly in the housings when seated and throw the beam horizontally so there is a nice defined line in the beam almost like projectors. I tried some more expensive ones that were quite a bit brighter, but they would not align right and the angle of the led's were off causing the beam to be thrown too high. With these the beam is almost identical to the halogens and I have yet to be flashed by other drivers like I did almost nightly with the stupid HID's and the other led bulbs.

Here is some night shots. I am sure they could light further down the road, but my housings really need to be scrubbed down. That is the one part of the vehicle she does show her age on. Ignore the high hotpot in the first picture, my passenger bulb was actually angled slightly off in this picture. I fixed it but forgot to retake the picture:

Lows
2017-07-15 21.37.51.jpg

4-High
2017-07-15 21.37.56.jpg

They also have some stupid bright 9000lm CSP bulbs that have three sides and are larger, but I would only use them for the high beams. I think the beam would be too wild for low beam use and they would be hard to fit in the housings. I might get some and try them out. If they don't work out in Rosilin I could always throw them in Christine (my possessed '99 Tahoe.)

s-l1600.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180W-6000K-...ash=item3d35637d4d:g:rkoAAOSwhilZZcMY&vxp=mtr

[Mod edit: Posts merged. Please use the edit button to add more info instead of posting successively. Thanks]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ballistic17

freddyboy61

Dec 4, 2011
I just checked their compatibility chart for Trailblazer, Envoy and Tahoe (some differing model years), and the result was they are not compatible. What gives?

JPutnam

Original poster
Jun 30, 2017
Ft. Bragg
I don't know, they fit. Standard 9005 and 9006 mounting.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I guess you did not search much cause there is tons running led headlights. I personally am disappointed in them compared to my old HIDs.

Reactions: Redbeard

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online