Looking for gun value info

Wooluf1952

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I'll try to make this short.My brother-in-law died a little over a month ago. Now I've been asked to get prices for his gun collection.What I'm looking for is a good web site, for gun values that I can trust.I tried Gun America and the site just ran like crap.I have friends and relatives interested in the guns and accessories. I'm just looking for prices.Any help would be much appreciated.

TangoBravo

Dec 5, 2011
What kind of guns are we talkin about here? One guys collection may have african large game guns which can value well over 45k per gun. While my collection might total 20k for all my guns. The right gun in the correct market can be valuable. However the right gun in the wrong market can sell for about what a paper weight would.

Lckent48

Dec 4, 2011
You might take a look at gunbroker.com, a gun auction web site, to see what things are selling for.

TangoBravo

Dec 5, 2011
Lckent48 said:
You might take a look at gunbroker.com, a gun auction web site, to see what things are selling for.
This option wouldn't work for me if I were wanting a value on my guns. This is because an auction site may or may not have a gun like mine. It may or may not be listed correctly $ wise. And most important it more the likely will not sell for it's actual value.
It's a very unreliable source to try and get an acurate VALUE of a firearm. Just my .02

Grimor

Mar 28, 2013
Lckent48 said:

Make sure you only look at completed auctions, or current highest bids. People ask crazy prices for things but never get them because it's not worth it.

First step; make a list of what you have. Years, Makes, Models, Calibers, condition, etc... Depending on what's there, it might be good to separate the list into categories (revolver, simiauto, shotgun, rifle, flintlock, etc..).

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
The Blue Book of Gun Values is pretty much the bible of gun valuations. Dealers consult this book on a daily basis. I believe they also have a subscription-based internet presence now too.

Two problems though:

#1 - Some of the book valuations seem low when compared to online auction sites but one must remember that some auction prices are vastly (and artificially) inflated. This artificial and temporarily inflated market is not sustainable. Trust the book. As another member said, don't trust asking prices; only trust selling prices (and be aware that even some of these are artificially high as sellers sell to each other in order to drive up certain prices.)

#2 - Most people - family members especially - overvalue a gun collection. They remember dad's love of a certain gun and how much pleasure it would give him and how he would lovingly clean and preserve it. When you tell them it's worth $25, they get angry and defensive. A much-loved and lovingly-cared-for $25 gun is still worth $25.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Another thing you can try is taking it to gun dealers and see what they offer. But remember they want to make a profit when they sell it so their offer will reflect that.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
Sorry for your loss.

I would call a few local gun dealers and tell them what you are looking for, i bet folks who own guns pass away all the time and this should not be the first time anyone asked. value will change on model, age and condition. (just like a GMT!:smile: )

get one or two estimates, even three. offer to pay for the estimate, and take that cost out of the estate. legit expense, and worth it for family peace. I would feel better with an estimate from a person who did not immediately make an offer to buy.

other possibility is to call an insurance person for a lead to a qualified person to provide a value estimate.

it might be tempting to do a DIY, but in the long term you would sleep better with a good estimate from someone who has experience and knows the state of the market.

remember free advice is worth what you pay for it. (in some cases)

Wooluf1952

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
TangoBravo said:
What kind of guns are we talkin about here? One guys collection may have african large game guns which can value well over 45k per gun. While my collection might total 20k for all my guns. The right gun in the correct market can be valuable. However the right gun in the wrong market can sell for about what a paper weight would.

Hand Guns;

Browning Buckmark Semi-Auto 22 cal.

Browning Buckmark Pistol 22 cal.

Rifles/Carbines;

Remington Woodsmaster 742 w/ scope 30-06 cal.

Ruger Model 19/22 w/scope 22 LR cal.

Hi-Point By Beemiller Model 995 9mm x 19

Single shot pump pellet rifle

Shot Guns;

Browning Citori Hunting 12ga Over/Under w/Real Tree barrel 1993 GR1

Tristar Sporting Arms TSA-NKC-MO Mossy Oak Duck Blind Over/Under 12 ga.

Smith & Wesson Model 1000 w/ 4.5 scope 12 ga.

Stevens Model 94 12 ga. 28" barrel 2 3/4" chamber

Ted Williams (Sears & Roebuck) Model 300 12 ga. 2 3/4" chamber

Lckent48 said:

That's the site I've been looking at.

Grimor said:
Make sure you only look at completed auctions, or current highest bids. People ask crazy prices for things but never get them because it's not worth it.

First step; make a list of what you have. Years, Makes, Models, Calibers, condition, etc... Depending on what's there, it might be good to separate the list into categories (revolver, simiauto, shotgun, rifle, flintlock, etc..).

That's what I've looked at.

Chickenhawk said:
The Blue Book of Gun Values is pretty much the bible of gun valuations. Dealers consult this book on a daily basis. I believe they also have a subscription-based internet presence now too.

Two problems though:

#1 - Some of the book valuations seem low when compared to online auction sites but one must remember that some auction prices are vastly (and artificially) inflated. This artificial and temporarily inflated market is not sustainable. Trust the book. As another member said, don't trust asking prices; only trust selling prices (and be aware that even some of these are artificially high as sellers sell to each other in order to drive up certain prices.)

#2 - Most people - family members especially - overvalue a gun collection. They remember dad's love of a certain gun and how much pleasure it would give him and how he would lovingly clean and preserve it. When you tell them it's worth $25, they get angry and defensive. A much-loved and lovingly-cared-for $25 gun is still worth $25.

Completely agree. I like these guns, but have no sentimental attachment to them at all.

Mark20 said:
Another thing you can try is taking it to gun dealers and see what they offer. But remember they want to make a profit when they sell it so their offer will reflect that.

:thumbsup: That's why I'm trying to a heads-up on prices before I go to a dealer.

meerschm said:
Sorry for your loss.

I would call a few local gun dealers and tell them what you are looking for, i bet folks who own guns pass away all the time and this should not be the first time anyone asked. value will change on model, age and condition. (just like a GMT!:smile: )

get one or two estimates, even three. offer to pay for the estimate, and take that cost out of the estate. legit expense, and worth it for family peace. I would feel better with an estimate from a person who did not immediately make an offer to buy.

other possibility is to call an insurance person for a lead to a qualified person to provide a value estimate.

it might be tempting to do a DIY, but in the long term you would sleep better with a good estimate from someone who has experience and knows the state of the market.

remember free advice is worth what you pay for it. (in some cases)

Thank you.
I'm planning to see a dealer here in town, but checking with an insurance agent is also a good idea.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Couple of those items I would be interested in, but the FFL's would most likely be insane.

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
talked to friend of mine, that has been buying & selling guns for quite some time.
although he is not interested in any of the ones you have, he did suggest:
armslist.com, basicly craigslist for guns
or shotgunworld.com.
both for reseach on pricing.
he did say that mossy oak shotgun has sold for $900-1200
good luck

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online