Looking for another!

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
So... a few years back I had gotten rid of my 05 TB that was lifted thanks to @HARDTRAILZ because it was killing me with my drive to and from work and it was needing some work so I went and financed a Toyota Camry 🙄 which I honestly don’t hate but I’m missing the GMT360 platform! We are now doing the Dave Ramsey baby steps to get debt free so we want to get rid of our van and the wife seems to be somewhat onboard with a TB EXT but it won’t be for a little. What should I be looking for that are main issues with the EXTs? I know to make sure of the gearing this time instead of the 3:42s 😂

Reactions: Pygot

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Depend on how much you plan to use it, check to make sure the rear heat/hvac is working properly. That's just one more thing to troubleshoot if it craps out on you, but if you don't plan to use it, then no biggie, and you can cap off the system if it develops a leak. Due to the lower numbers compared to the SWB, the 3rd brake light plastic cover is harder to come by if you get ice under yours in the winter and it gets cracked or broken.

As far as LWB specific issues, those are the only ones off the top of my head. :undecided:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The EXT's aren't that much different than the shorties. They also have a slightly quicker steering ratio. Not an issue, just a bonus. And they also come with the bigger front brakes.

But yes, they are dogs with the 3.42's. Even on my shortie TB, I'm keeping my eye out for a diff with 3.73's, hopefully an 8.6. I already have one for the front. If you're real lucky, you might find a 4.10 EXT unicorn.

Reactions: tsmith1156

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
Depend on how much you plan to use it, check to make sure the rear heat/hvac is working properly. That's just one more thing to troubleshoot if it craps out on you, but if you don't plan to use it, then no biggie, and you can cap off the system if it develops a leak. Due to the lower numbers compared to the SWB, the 3rd brake light plastic cover is harder to come by if you get ice under yours in the winter and it gets cracked or broken.

As far as LWB specific issues, those are the only ones off the top of my head. :undecided:

thank you! It will be my wife’s daily driver.

The EXT's aren't that much different than the shorties. They also have a slightly quicker steering ratio. Not an issue, just a bonus. And they also come with the bigger front brakes.

But yes, they are dogs with the 3.42's. Even on my shortie TB, I'm keeping my eye out for a diff with 3.73's, hopefully an 8.6. I already have one for the front. If you're real lucky, you might find a 4.10 EXT unicorn.

Thank you, yes when I had my 05 the 3:42s was less than desirable lol. I’m thinking we will spend around $3k so it will be high mileage 😬

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Ramsey would probably ask why you're getting rid of the van, as it's almost always cheaper to keep what you got. That being said... if you've got the wife on board, the battle is halfway over!

I have a LWB Envoy. Seems to me that more of those survived (or were made?) than the LWB Chevys. If you like the SWB better, then the TB is much easier to find.

On a LWB...

- Make sure to check the rear spoiler; if it's hanging by a thread, the best way to get it fixed is via a new backglass, IMO. Or rip it off and learn to live w/o it (although it looks pretty ghetto, that way). Since you live in OH... teach the wife / kids to always make sure snow and ice are cleared from the top before opening the liftgate!

- If you can find one with running boards (again, more prevalent on the Envoys), the rockers should be in good (better) shape; they keep a lot of salt off the body. The worst area for rust on the body is the liftgate, in the bottom corners. It starts, more often than not, from the inside, so you have to pop off the rear plastic trim to see what things look like. If the thing has been driven in snow a lot, make sure to check the frame out, especially in the rear supports. That's pretty much unfixable, once they go.

- By '05, GMC had the Denali trim out, which integrates (different & better looking) running boards into the body, gives you some extra 'goodies', options-wise, and guarantees you the 5.3L. It's a great motor - but it's really shoehorned in. You'll also need to check on the gearset, as GM was fitting a lot of Denalis with the 3.42 gear, to help meet CAFE.

One thing a Denali will likely have (that might not be such a good thing) is the air ride in the rear. It's great, when the system is working, but the bags eventually leak, and the compressors go out, and parts are hard to find, besides (many replace with conventional springs). 1st sign of it going out is seeing the rear sag, after it's been parked awhile.

The front fascia looks better on them, b/c there's less of a gap between the bumper cover and body (one of the things I dislike most about my non-Denali, but I'm too cheap to replace it at the moment, and busy with my Sierra, besides).

If the wife likes a luxo barge, Denali might be the way to go for you guys. They're getting cheap, and they're fairly plentiful.

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
Ramsey would probably ask why you're getting rid of the van, as it's almost always cheaper to keep what you got. That being said... if you've got the wife on board, the battle is halfway over!

I have a LWB Envoy. Seems to me that more of those survived (or were made?) than the LWB Chevys. If you like the SWB better, then the TB is much easier to find.

On a LWB...

- Make sure to check the rear spoiler; if it's hanging by a thread, the best way to get it fixed is via a new backglass, IMO. Or rip it off and learn to live w/o it (although it looks pretty ghetto, that way). Since you live in OH... teach the wife / kids to always make sure snow and ice are cleared from the top before opening the liftgate!

- If you can find one with running boards (again, more prevalent on the Envoys), the rockers should be in good (better) shape; they keep a lot of salt off the body. The worst area for rust on the body is the liftgate, in the bottom corners. It starts, more often than not, from the inside, so you have to pop off the rear plastic trim to see what things look like. If the thing has been driven in snow a lot, make sure to check the frame out, especially in the rear supports. That's pretty much unfixable, once they go.

- By '05, GMC had the Denali trim out, which integrates (different & better looking) running boards into the body, gives you some extra 'goodies', options-wise, and guarantees you the 5.3L. It's a great motor - but it's really shoehorned in. You'll also need to check on the gearset, as GM was fitting a lot of Denalis with the 3.42 gear, to help meet CAFE.

One thing a Denali will likely have (that might not be such a good thing) is the air ride in the rear. It's great, when the system is working, but the bags eventually leak, and the compressors go out, and parts are hard to find, besides (many replace with conventional springs). 1st sign of it going out is seeing the rear sag, after it's been parked awhile.

The front fascia looks better on them, b/c there's less of a gap between the bumper cover and body (one of the things I dislike most about my non-Denali, but I'm too cheap to replace it at the moment, and busy with my Sierra, besides).

If the wife likes a luxo barge, Denali might be the way to go for you guys. They're getting cheap, and they're fairly plentiful.

thank you! Our van is $600 a month with a high interest rate that’s why we are trying to chop it off lol. Thank you for your info!

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Oh, I wasn't asking you to share w/ us 'why' you were getting rid of the van. That's for you to know (and maybe Dave...lol).

Good luck to you, whatever decision you make.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I would suggest seeing if you can find the Bastard Step Child...

The Isuzu Ascender. And with the LWB, most (not all) were V8 models that I have found. And I think it was the only time the GMT360 got the "limited" badge..

No idea on price, but like this.

No idea on miles.

Its literally a GMC Envoy with a different grill, headlights (that are still interchangeable with the Envoy), and tail lights. The Isuzu's I have found, generally sell cheaper. Reason being is the Brand Isuzu is no longer made, so it has no brand recognition. But as I said, its just a Envoy with a different badge.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Forgot about the Ascender (you're really sending him on a unicorn hunt now!)

The interiors on those also had different finishes, and TBH, I liked them. Worth a look, if you can find a serviceable one.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I also like the different appointments it got. But they never made a SWB with a V8 with the Isuzu badge.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Not the TB body parts. But mechanically, they're pretty much triplets. And IIRC, the Isusu fully uses GMs Canbus 100% (unlike Saab, which put some of their own unique calls in the interface)

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
Not the TB body parts. But mechanically, they're pretty much triplets. And IIRC, the Isusu fully uses GMs Canbus 100% (unlike Saab, which put some of their own unique calls in the interface)

I just tried to look at there is only one beat up one within 200 miles of me lol

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
See: Unicorn. 🦄

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
This may or may not help you...

And I like this one...
And
And
And this one is closer to you

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
This may or may not help you...

And I like this one...
And
And
And this one is closer to you

thank you! I have seen some of them but we have to have the third row. That last envoy is really nice!

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I couldnt do a search for the LWB vs SWB on the Ascender, as Isuzu didnt get the designation to differentiate inbetween the 2. You just have to weed out the SWB.

Edit: I really like the silver one. Better optioned, silver is better looking to me, it even has the parcel shelf, which I rarely see. But it is a bit of a drive to get. But judging the other cars parked in the driveway, hes a cop, so either its well maintained, or its been dogged on a lot!

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Silver one probably best maintained, but long trip to STL & back

Chicago one get @ lowest cost (it's an hour away from me) but probably most rust (frame, etc.) and most maintenance needed

Ohio denali has dvd (great for kiddos, since 3rd row is must-have)

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
It has DVD, but it's aftermarket, so i doubt it's wired into the audio system like most others are.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Given how often the OEM Panny units would break, one might see that as a plus? :laugh:
Plus, an aftermarket BT radio could be added w/o futzing up the DVD.

"Always look on the bright siiide of life!" :whistle::whistle::whistle:

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
You guys are crushing it! Lol. Yes I couldn’t differentiate between LWB and SWB by filter for the ascender. We are probably looking within an hour or two drive at most.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Two quick ways to tell. The rear doors and the rear of the roof rack.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
This looks to be a really decent buy, but will likely be gone by the time you read this..

Reactions: xavierny25

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
eBay won’t open on my phone for whatever reason.
60k Mile Denali XL. Would have been a bit of a drive, but for the miles, would have been worth it.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Rebuilt title? $500

Reactions: Redbeard

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
saw this one in the Facebook group, what would you offer?

Make a suggestion before you go any further. In the ad it says "Rebuilt title. " Call your insurance agent make make sure you can place insurance on it before it is purchased. It will be worth zero if one cannot get insurance for it (except folks like us if we just want it for parts). I suspect they will not get many bidders with the high mileage. The dealer probably will only offer a couple hundred dollars for it, at the most.

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio

Make a suggestion before you go any further. In the ad it says "Rebuilt title. " Call your insurance agent make make sure you can place insurance on it before it is purchased. It will be worth zero if one cannot get insurance for it (except folks like us if we just want it for parts). I suspect they will not get many bidders with the high mileage. The dealer probably will only offer a couple hundred dollars for it, at the most.

yes I was going to call insurance but wanted to see if I should even offer anything at all lol. I’m gonna do like $500 maybe

Reactions: Redbeard

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I didn't click on that link, as I actively stay away from FB. But just from the part of the description I can read here, along with the reports of "Rebuilt Title" -- tell me that thing has lived a rough life, and the next owner is going to be putting a lot of time / effort / $ into it, unless they're buying it as a parts vehicle.

"Needs Cleaning Inside" - I don't pretend to keep my vehicles spotless and 'crap-free' -- but before I put one up for sale / trade, I do make an effort to empty / clean it out.
Now, you pretty much expect to do *some* cleaning w/ a used vehicle, no matter what -- but when I see this actually written in an ad, I expect the worst, frankly.

"Have replaced... 5 plugs... " -- I'm sorry... is that rebuilt engine the 5-cylinder Atlas from the Colorado / H3 ? </sarcasm>

WHY would you leave the last plug in the engine? Are you seeing a pattern, here? Current owner appears to be a 'de minimis' type of person, WRT upkeep of a vehicle, at least.

To quote some show / movie I saw on TV recently...
"Run... RUUUUUUUUUNNN!!!! " 👟👟👟

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I'd be interested in the interior pieces, since the black dash and panels for an EXT are extremely rare. Doesn't say when the engine was rebuilt, and how many miles on it since then, or mention of the transmission... Since I just replaced mine a year ago, I'm still a lil sensitive on that topic. :redface:

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I'd be interested in the interior pieces, since the black dash and panels for an EXT are extremely rare.

Ok, my curiosity's piqued. Going to see if I can find a pic. This is 'ebony', I take it.

(on edit) Yep - and I agree, it's definitely the best looking, compared to the gray & tan options:
This one below was refereced as a 2002...

1586920392482.png

Last edited:

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
This looks to be a really decent buy, but will likely be gone by the time you read this..

I didn't click on that link, as I actively stay away from FB. But just from the part of the description I can read here, along with the reports of "Rebuilt Title" -- tell me that thing has lived a rough life, and the next owner is going to be putting a lot of time / effort / $ into it, unless they're buying it as a parts vehicle.

"Needs Cleaning Inside" - I don't pretend to keep my vehicles spotless and 'crap-free' -- but before I put one up for sale / trade, I do make an effort to empty / clean it out.
Now, you pretty much expect to do *some* cleaning w/ a used vehicle, no matter what -- but when I see this actually written in an ad, I expect the worst, frankly.

"Have replaced... 5 plugs... " -- I'm sorry... is that rebuilt engine the 5-cylinder Atlas from the Colorado / H3 ? </sarcasm>

WHY would you leave the last plug in the engine? Are you seeing a pattern, here? Current owner appears to be a 'de minimis' type of person, WRT upkeep of a vehicle, at least.

To quote some show / movie I saw on TV recently...
"Run... RUUUUUUUUUNNN!!!! " 👟👟👟

Lol yes, I only offered $500 and they said it was too low. They had no info on the rebuil

I'd be interested in the interior pieces, since the black dash and panels for an EXT are extremely rare. Doesn't say when the engine was rebuilt, and how many miles on it since then, or mention of the transmission... Since I just replaced mine a year ago, I'm still a lil sensitive on that topic. :redface:

I want a nice ext for the family lol. They had no info on anything.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I would not even bother with 500 on that if I wanted a truck to have my family in. Everything about that shit was half-ass and sketchy. Its a parts truck with the way it has been handled. $2500 was an f'ing joke for a price.

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
I would not even bother with 500 on that if I wanted a truck to have my family in. Everything about that shit was half-ass and sketchy. Its a parts truck with the way it has been handled. $2500 was an f'ing joke for a price.

i was going to get it fixed as we still had our van and once it was fixed, yes they are insane asking that price

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
i was going to get it fixed as we still had our van and once it was fixed, yes they are insane asking that price
If it wasnt going to cost more than the truck was worth, and it was low miles, maybe. Even if the tranny and engine is rebuilt, the TC isnt, the rear diff isnt, etc. Its just simply not worth it. And its a base model 6 cyl LS to boot. No thanks!

If someone actually gave them 700 bucks for it, they should take it, and move/change their phone number.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I know this truck is a drive to get, in Albyquerque, NM... Its worth a look. 79k miles, 2004 with a V8. In my opinion, one of the better years to get, as it doesnt have the DOD, or in tank fuel filter. And with those miles, she will last a good while. The price is, well... Its overpriced. But if you can talk him down to something more reasonable, it would be worth the travel.

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
I know this truck is a drive to get, in Albyquerque, NM... Its worth a look. 79k miles, 2004 with a V8. In my opinion, one of the better years to get, as it doesnt have the DOD, or in tank fuel filter. And with those miles, she will last a good while. The price is, well... Its overpriced. But if you can talk him down to something more reasonable, it would be worth the travel.

It looks good but yes over priced and in New Mexico, I’m in Ohio lol. That’s like a day trip

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online