Looking at buying an EXT!

RocketeerWahoo

Original poster
Apr 17, 2017
Richmond, VA
Hi everyone! I've been looking at 3rd row vehicles for awhile now that my son (3rd kiddo) has been born and came across an '03 TB EXT with 110k and wanted to know if there were any 'issues' to keep an eye out for when looking/driving this vehicle. Thanks!

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Mostly the normal stuff you'd check on a vehicle that is getting older (14 years old now) and over the 100k mile mark. Check for rust in the usual places (lower door edges and liftgate bottom edge), take a look at the power steering lines that go over the top of the driver side strut tower and the transmission lines that go along the passenger side for any signs of heavy corrosion. Find out any maintenance history you can.

If it has 4WD make sure it switches between modes OK. Check that the rear climate controls work as I believe some people have had the coolant lines (for the heat) going back there go bad, and some just cap the lines off and not use the rear controls.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Yeah, check the usual. Chances are the rear hvac won't work. They're finicky. Ask them if the recall on the gas tank was taken care of, it might not have needed it though. Wouldn't hurt to take a code reader with you to check codes if the light is on. Make sure the temp gauge sits on 210 when warmed up.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Check for codes even if the CEL is off. Sometimes sellers will clear them just before a buyer shows up but will be pending in the background.

Like Mounce said, check the rear HVAC is working. If the front is working but not the rear, then the rear A/C lines were blocked off probably due to a rear line leak. Same for rear heat. May or may not be important to you but can be a bargaining point.

Reactions: Capote

OUZELFALLS

Jul 7, 2016
Lake Zurich, IL
Hi everyone! I've been looking at 3rd row vehicles for awhile now that my son (3rd kiddo) has been born and came across an '03 TB EXT with 110k and wanted to know if there were any 'issues' to keep an eye out for when looking/driving this vehicle. Thanks!

My wife passed her 2004 TB EXT to me when it had about 40K on it. I did all oil changes using Mobil1 0W-30 from the first oil change. So far, never had an engine problem. Couple things that have come up since I've been driving it...1. the driver heated seat as gone out (I suspect the heating element on the seat section went out--just the seat, not the heating for lower back.). I haven't fixed that due to the PIA factor of pulling the seat apart to get at it. I learned to ignor it. My TB's just hit 100K and last week , developed a starting issue that appears to be an ignition switch. I'll be fixing that myself as soon as the part arrives. Hopefully, your TB's had regular maintenance..it should be fine.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online