Looking at a used '08, possible exhaust manifold leak?

joeredspecial

Original poster
Mar 23, 2012
I'm looking to replace my aging 02 with an 08 Trailblazer I6 that I found for sale locally. The main issue is that there is significant exhaust noise coming from the engine bay. My guess is it's the exhaust manifold (luckily I never had this issue on my 02 but I know it's common). It was significantly louder on a cold start with what I would call a "squeal" at first. Here is a video of it start while warm:

Any thoughts are appreciated. I'm willing to replace it but I want to pinpoint the issue before I make an offer on the truck.

Reactions: rchalmers3

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
I'm looking to replace my aging 02 with an 08 Trailblazer I6 that I found for sale locally. The main issue is that there is significant exhaust noise coming from the engine bay. My guess is it's the exhaust manifold (luckily I never had this issue on my 02 but I know it's common). It was significantly louder on a cold start with what I would call a "squeal" at first. Here is a video of it start while warm:

Any thoughts are appreciated. I'm willing to replace it but I want to pinpoint the issue before I make an offer on the truck.
sounds like exhaust manifold to me, mine did the same thing, luckily it was still under the emissions warranty.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
:iagree:

Reactions: joeredspecial

rchalmers3

Jul 11, 2020
Irmo, SC
I'm looking to replace my aging 02 with an 08 Trailblazer I6 that I found for sale locally.
Wait, are you replacing the 02 engine with an 08 engine, or are you replacing the entire vehicle?

Your answer mat elicit a different response than what you have received thus far!

Rick

JayArr

Sep 24, 2018
Mission BC Canada
Check out the doughnut gasket between the manifold and the downpipe to the cat, I've had mine burn up twice, it causes the engine to run really load and it robs you of a lot of the power. First time it happened I wasted a lot of time pulling the shroud of the manifold looking for a crack.

The gasket was less than $10 and it was easy to install, you don't even need to remove the downpipe, just back off the three nuts to the end of the studs and you'll have enough room to slip the new gasket in and then tighten them back up. It's easy to get at all three nuts from under the vehicle with about 2-2 1/2 feet of extension and a 15mm socket.

joeredspecial

Original poster
Mar 23, 2012
Update: it's definitely the exhaust manifold, there's a huge crack at the Y. I have the shield off and will be changing everything out once I have some time.

The squealing noise is the SAIS which I will be deleting once I get sick of it or when it throws a code.

• Sad
Reactions: Mooseman

vipergg

Dec 7, 2011

Yes sounds like a cracked exhaust manifold . Sorry see this is an old thread .

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online