Looking at a 2008 TB LT

04Trailblazer

Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
Today, looked at a 2008 Chevy Trailblazer LT white. With 110,000 miles on it for $9955, While checking the fluids i noticed the oil was VERY!!! black and the cap was very dry and crusty looking. looked like it hadn't been taken care of. Opened up the Radiator cap and found the the Dexcool was very orange and looked almost as it had rust in the Dexcool. Checked Transmission fluid looked alright. Is this an ok thing to Buy? I would right way get a oil change. All of this dealers cars had bad fluids in them there was maybe 3 that didn't. The was also a 2007 TB LT with 26,000 miles but didnt know the price. But its oil was dirty to and there was no dexcool in the recovery tank. and the coolant in the 2007 looked the same rusty orange as the 2008 did. Would i have any problems with the 2008 TB from neglect? Share your thoughts.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
This is just MY opinion.

I bought my 04 Envoy almost 4 months ago from a a large dealership. Now even though my fluids looked new, this truck was not taken care of by the previous owners. I have had all sorts of issues with this truck from day one. I will fill you in on what we have had to do to my Envoy.

1. First day we got it home, the heat wouldn't work and it was probably 5 below(Bought it in Jan) Found out the blower motor took a crap. It worked sporadically when I test drove it, so I didn't notice anything right away. My warranty covered the parts and labor.

2. My fan clutch was diagnosed as taking a crap the same day I had the blower motor fixed. I haven't replaced it yet because I'm doing an e-fan kit.

3. Found out after coming here that my Thermostat was dead. It ran around 160-170 on the gauge, and even colder on a scan. So we replaced that.

4. A week later, maybe 2...my power steering pump went out, and I had to drive it for 2 days without power steering while waiting on the part to come in.

5. Hearing a clunking sound from the truck on turns and hitting bumps...needed to replace sway bar end links.

6. Needed to do a coolant flush because the dexcool had turned gooey and seemed to be not flowing like it should have been.

And a few things we have been dealing with that popped up after we bought the truck....

1. The filler tube in the gas tank causes the gas pump to shut off prematurely, and I have to wiggle it to get the fuel to pump properly

2. Need to change out fuel filter

3. Spark plugs(done)

4. Brakes and pads

5. Wiggly drivers side view mirror

6. Lights on the radio and other components do not work and need to be switched

7. Did an oil change and found they were using a really shitty Chrysler oil filter which wasn't the correct size

8. Someone at the dealership rammed the passenger side front fender into something and caused damage resulting in needing a new front fender

I'm sure once I get all these things taken care of, some other crap is going to pop up needing to be done.

I also had to do an oil flush and clean the CPAS after hubby added engine restore

Buying any vehicle that has not been loved or taken care of by the PO or the dealerships can be a pain in the ass for the rest of the trucks life, or until you get sick of fixing something every week and sell it or trade it in. But in the end, when you sit in the drivers seat and feel completely confident and safe in the truck, it all makes it worth while. I have never felt more comfortable with any vehicle that I have ever owned. Safety was a number one concern for me with a vehicle, and I have never felt safer. Reliability was the second most important thing to me as it is my daily driver, and even though my once unloved Envoy has issues, it has yet to fail me unlike my previous POS.

I'm sure if you already own a TB or Envoy you know what it's like to be an owner/driver. The way I look at it is this.....

IF you can afford the maintenance and the little surprises the truck will most likely throw at you, and if you can take the time and deal with the frustration you may have on a daily basis for the trucks entire lifetime, then go for it. I have never been in love with a bigger POS than my truck, and I wouldn't want it any other way. I have learned a lot from buying my truck, and I don't think I could ever NOT own one. If this one takes a shit I will get another one, but not before I did everything I could to fix the one I have now. If I totaled it today in an accident, I would buy it back from the bank, cut my losses and fix it up. I have owned many cars, and hated every single one of them, but there is just something that is irreplaceable in the Envoy. I would rather buy something that needs work, then something that was perfect right from the "new car" lot.

04Trailblazer

Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
Thanks Voymom for your opinion. Im going to test drive it Monday. The dealership i went to is just a small dealer that is owned by a Hispanic. Not to be rude but seems like Hispanic people like to trash there cars and trucks and seems like they just abuse them. Dealer wants $500 down im not sure how much he wants for payments. The Exterior looked good but the interior had two cigarette holes in the driver seat. It also had a mild smoke smell ICK! But im sure id be able to figure out a way to get rid of it. Will see how the test drive goes on Monday and how it runs. If I do end up getting it I plan on Changing most of all fluids defiantly the oil! I own a 2004 TB with 155,000 miles. bought it with 123,000 miles only problem ive ran into with it was the Thermostat but i replaced that. To me these Voy's and TB's seem very reliable. I plan to keep my 04. I thought a 08 TB LT with 110,000 miles for $500 down and $9950 was a pretty good deal.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
04Trailblazer said:
110,000 miles on it
IMHO, lots of miles for that vintage.
... the oil was VERY!!! black
Get a scan tool on it and see what the OLM (oil life monitor) says the percentage of oil life remaining is
and the cap was very dry and crusty looking.
I'm starting to get that impression.
looked like it hadn't been taken care of.
Then why are you even considering buying this possible lemon? Are you ready to drop a new engine and tranny in it the week you drive it off the lot? :eek:
Opened up the Radiator cap and found the the Dexcool was very orange and looked almost as it had rust in the Dexcool.
Strike three.
Checked Transmission fluid looked alright. Is this an ok thing to Buy?
No.
I would right way get a oil change.
Should get one for sure when you put in the new engine. :wink:
All of this dealers cars had bad fluids in them there was maybe 3 that didn't.
:eek: Leave. A dealer who can't be bothered to even do that much is hinting they're going to be disreputable in many other ways. Flee.
The was also a 2007 TB LT with 26,000 miles but didnt know the price. But its oil was dirty to and there was no dexcool in the recovery tank. and the coolant in the 2007 looked the same rusty orange as the 2008 did.
Strike four. Surely you can find a better dealer.
Would i have any problems with the 2008 TB from neglect? Share your thoughts.
You'd be nuts to buy ANY vehicle from this sleazebag. Don't even think about buying one of his abused puppies.

04Trailblazer said:
Not to be rude but seems like Hispanic people like to trash there cars and trucks and seems like they just abuse them.
Not to be rude, but you might think that he's stereotyped you the same way, and might be thinking of you as the sucker who's going to put his three kids through dental school.
Dealer wants $500 down im not sure how much he wants for payments.
SURELY you're not thinking about giving this guy TWO chances to screw you. NEVER get financing from the selling dealer!!! Never, never, never. Arrange it yourself ahead of time, preferably with a credit union. Get prequalified. And NEVER, NEVER, NEVER focus on the monthly payments. ALWAYS focus on the APR and fees.
The Exterior looked good but the interior had two cigarette holes in the driver seat. It also had a mild smoke smell ICK! But im sure id be able to figure out a way to get rid of it.
I still don't see why you're so insanely obsessed with this dog of a vehicle. Walk away. Compare. Do homework ahead of time on financing and the dealer's on-line reputation with the local BBB and Yelp.com.
Will see how the test drive goes on Monday and how it runs. If I do end up getting it I plan on Changing most of all fluids defiantly the oil! I own a 2004 TB with 155,000 miles. bought it with 123,000 miles only problem ive ran into with it was the Thermostat but i replaced that. To me these Voy's and TB's seem very reliable. I plan to keep my 04. I thought a 08 TB LT with 110,000 miles for $500 down and $9950 was a pretty good deal.
You've thrown up way too many red flags for me to agree with you. :no:

MacMan

Mar 3, 2012
the roadie said:
.....:eek: Leave. A dealer who can't be bothered to even do that much is hinting they're going to be disreputable in many other ways. Flee......
:iagree:

04Trailblazer

Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
the roadie said:
IMHO, lots of miles for that vintage.Get a scan tool on it and see what the OLM (oil life monitor) says the percentage of oil life remaining isI'm starting to get that impression. Then why are you even considering buying this possible lemon? Are you ready to drop a new engine and tranny in it the week you drive it off the lot? :eek:Strike three. No.Should get one for sure when you put in the new engine. :wink::eek: Leave. A dealer who can't be bothered to even do that much is hinting they're going to be disreputable in many other ways. Flee.Strike four. Surely you can find a better dealer. You'd be nuts to buy ANY vehicle from this sleazebag. Don't even think about buying one of his abused puppies.

Not to be rude, but you might think that he's stereotyped you the same way, and might be thinking of you as the sucker who's going to put his three kids through dental school.SURELY you're not thinking about giving this guy TWO chances to screw you. NEVER get financing from the selling dealer!!! Never, never, never. Arrange it yourself ahead of time, preferably with a credit union. Get prequalified. And NEVER, NEVER, NEVER focus on the monthly payments. ALWAYS focus on the APR and fees. I still don't see why you're so insanely obsessed with this dog of a vehicle. Walk away. Compare. Do homework ahead of time on financing and the dealer's on-line reputation with the local BBB and Yelp.com.You've thrown up way too many red flags for me to agree with you. :no:
I thank you very much! Now thinking of it some more. I just need to walk on by. Im sure I can find a much nicer TB and people then that. Thanks!!! :smile:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online