Looking at 07 Denali tomorrow any tips?

07Denali

Original poster
Feb 28, 2013
Hey guys I've been searching the forums for days since looking for a new DD as my 99 Tahoe 4x4 was wrritten off by another driver last month. Being a Chevy lover at heart (89 K5 in garage) I wanted a new chevy. Anyways found a 2007 Envoy Denali with 90,000 km 5.3L V8 AFM(DOD) 3.42 G80:yes:. I have read about the oil consumption issues that some have faced any way of telling? besides keeping a close eye on the oil level? I have a bluetooth OBDII adapter that I can use with Torque to find out more i guess. Any other things to look out for? Leaving tomorrow morning to drive to look at it if all goes well its coming home :smile:

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Have an independant mechanic look over it and check compression. Ask for a carfax or vincheck. No joke. Will tell you if it's been in any major accidents.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
What he said.. And make sure they service the difs and trans before you purchase it.

07Denali

Original poster
Feb 28, 2013
Thanks guys will do! just about to leave now wish me luck! Lol bringing tools and my guage so i can do the compression test there and check the plugs at the same time.

Dec 4, 2011
07Denali said:
Hey guys I've been searching the forums for days since looking for a new DD as my 99 Tahoe 4x4 was wrritten off by another driver last month. Being a Chevy lover at heart (89 K5 in garage) I wanted a new chevy. Anyways found a 2007 Envoy Denali with 90,000 km 5.3L V8 AFM(DOD) 3.42 G80:yes:. I have read about the oil consumption issues that some have faced any way of telling? besides keeping a close eye on the oil level? I have a bluetooth OBDII adapter that I can use with Torque to find out more i guess. Any other things to look out for? Leaving tomorrow morning to drive to look at it if all goes well its coming home :smile:

I am not sure what folks are talking about with respect to oil consumption. I change my oil once a year and usually put about 10K miles. I put the six quarts of AMSOIL in and use the other 2 from the 8 I buy to top up over the year. I have had to buy a quart once to add about a 1/3 quart but I don't think this is excessive. Other than that I have about 75K miles on the truck and so far so good.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Well the oil issue very well may have been corrected under warranty already as it is an inherent issue with the 5.3's. One of my three 5.3 liter 360's has needed the issue fixed under warranty. Here in MN every single truck I checked out locally had rust under the doors. I'm talking about 600 day old/20,000 mile trucks and the door seems already had rust when I was shopping for my most recent one a couple years ago. As for the rear end...I wouldn't buy any 360 without the 3.73 option since I tow a heavy boat. I don't know how you guys deal with CarFax's there but for example my 9-7 came with the Car Fax and the Auto Check and together the detailed every time someone touched the car at the SAAB dealer which was nice and the one owner condition helped in the decision.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
I have 3.42s and tow a 4K pound trailer with no problem.I have 65k miles and burn no oil,I did switch to syn. oil at 55k when the truck came into my life.I really enjoy my Denali :thumbsup:...Mike.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
northcreek said:
I have 3.42s and tow a 4K pound trailer with no problem.I have 65k miles and burn no oil,I did switch to syn. oil at 55k when the truck came into my life.I really enjoy my Denali :thumbsup:...Mike.

Yeah if you don't tow, 3.73 is overkill but again all relative....3.42 tows good, 3.73 a bit more oomph to get moving. I've towed 4000lbs with a 3.29 ratio fwd minivan and seemed ok.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Jkust said:
Yeah if you don't tow, 3.73 is overkill but again all relative....3.42 tows good, 3.73 a bit more oomph to get moving. I've towed 4000lbs with a 3.29 ratio fwd minivan and seemed ok.

If given a choice I would choose the 3.73 over the 3.42,because I feel it's the best all around ratio for me especially with OD but, my 3.42 is adequate and wasn't a deal breaker.I also towed the 4k pound load with pseudo SUV(awd Mariner) and it towed fine but,ate two trannys before 55k miles.That's when I decided on no more sideways engined tow vehicles :thumbsup:..Mike.

Dec 4, 2011
northcreek said:

Jkust said:

I also tow about 3500-4000 lbs with 3.42's no problem. That being said the Denali was an upgrade from a 95 Jimmy with a 4.3L V6. An engine know for its lack of giddy up and go. :rotfl:

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
RedEnvoyDenali said:
I also tow about 3500-4000 lbs with 3.42's no problem.

This doesn't mean a whole lot comparitively. I have the 3.42 ratio and tow 6000 lbs with my I6 no problem. Towing additional weight isn't the issue, it's the suspension, tire load rating and frame strength that is in question. Also depends a lot on what type of hitch one has. I've got a 10,000 lb Equalizer hitch. Also my EXT is a bit more beefy than the SWB.

Dec 4, 2011
CaptainXL said:
This doesn't mean a whole lot comparitively. I have the 3.42 ratio and tow 6000 lbs with my I6 no problem. Towing additional weight isn't the issue, it's the suspension, tire load rating and frame strength that is in question. Also depends a lot on what type of hitch one has. I've got a 10,000 lb Equalizer hitch. Also my EXT is a bit more beefy than the SWB.

You are correct the statement doesn't mean a whole lot comparatively but it is still my opinion. However your statement that you EXT is MORE BEEFY doesn't hold much water. If you check the Owners manual you will find that the TOW rating (not the GVWR) for a 5.3l 4wd 3.42 SWB is 6100, while the TOW rating for an EXT 5.3l 4wd 3.42 is 5700. So effectively if you tow 6000 you are overweight according to owners manual. The fact you have a 10000 lb hitch is irrelevant.

What the 3.73's do get you is a somewhat higher tow rating of 6600 for the SWB and 6500 for the EXT. However if you only tow around the 4000 lb level I feel that the 3.42's work well and I am not saddled with the higher RPM's the 3.73's would produce the 99% of the time I am not towing.

The way I read the manual is 2wd can tow more than the 4wd's. The V8's can tow more than the I6's and the SWB's can tow more than the EXT's. Now if you add a Weight Distributing Hitch (equalizer hitch) all this goes out the window and the numbers go up.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
OK, my point was that what you said made no sense but you took it out of context but oh well. Anyway what you just retorted with is correct for the most part.

However...

The EXT and XL's have a different frame than the SWB. SWB vehicles are 360 frame and LWB are 370 which is beefier and more like a full size trucks frame.

The 370 differentials are sought after for their additional strength.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
CaptainXL said:
OK, my point was that what you said made no sense but you took it out of context but oh well. Anyway what you just retorted with is correct for the most part.

However...

The EXT and XL's have a different frame than the SWB. SWB vehicles are 360 frame and LWB are 370 which is beefier and more like a full size trucks frame.

Don't forget that the 370's, all 9-7's, SS's and Rainier got the better brakes as well. Later years everybody got them when the v8 was released into all of them.

Dec 4, 2011
CaptainXL said:

However...

You and I will have to agree to disagree. Just because it is different (and it is different since it is longer) doesn't make it better, beefier, stronger, or any other adjective you might use.

If you are equating towing performance to any of the adjectives you use, the owners manual doesn't bear out the assumptions. Enough said.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
RedEnvoyDenali said:
You and I will have to agree to disagree. Just because it is different (and it is different since it is longer) doesn't make it better, beefier, stronger, or any other adjective you might use.

If you are equating towing performance to any of the adjectives you use, the owners manual doesn't bear out the assumptions. Enough said.

Right on RED...and I haven't yet anticipated pulling the wheel arches straight on my wimpy swb frame.:rotfl:

07Denali

Original poster
Feb 28, 2013
Thanks you guys! It feels great nice and tight on the highway and way better fuel mileage than any other truck ive had. Im gonna wax and polish her this spring and enjoy it.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
I don't know what vehicle you replaced but,I went from a Mariner to my Denali and it was love at first drive.
BTW the Canada Dry is somewhat patriotic but you really should have a Timmy Ho's in that console :yes:...Mike.

05EnvoyXL

Dec 27, 2012
Sweet ride dude. I took my XL SLT and currently converting it to a Denali...minus the V8 :0( oh well. Already did the wood steering wheel, just need the OEM grille. sounds weird, trust me my wife reads me the riot act every day LOL.

07Denali

Original poster
Feb 28, 2013
Thanks guys. No timmys in Banff national park where the pictures were taken or there would have been lol. First day home and I already removed and cleaned the throttle body, maf and removed the dealer rear Window stickers and badge. Oh and seafoamed it not much smoke compared to my old 99 350 tahoe feeling great now though had a high idle after cleaning so did the pedal relean, key left on for 10 minutes. Smooth and responsive now.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
90,000 km's is just getting broken in. It's still like new. Nice purchase.

Dec 4, 2011
07Denali said:
Thanks you guys! It feels great nice and tight on the highway and way better fuel mileage than any other truck ive had. Im gonna wax and polish her this spring and enjoy it.

Hope you enjoy your new to you truck. Don't know why it is but every time I come home from Edmonton I get better gas mileage. It's either better gas in your province or down hill or perhaps a bit of both. LOL :thumbsup:

I find if I keep it reasonable (105 kph or so) I can pull 26-27 mpg (Canadian gallons 4.54L). Most happy with that and really appreciate the comfort the Denali provides.

am-radio

Apr 24, 2012
I always get better milage going to Saskatchewan from Alberta in all my vehicles. Must be downhill. The best I ever got was 26 MPG (imperial) at about 110-115 km/hr. At 120 km/hr I am usually 21 - 22 MPG.

Canadian Mike

Dec 3, 2011
07Denali said:
Well guys and girls, we brought the 07 Denali home. It checked out great and we had a great weekend trip to the mountains with it getting 15cm of snow one night :smile: Anyways heres the pics!

Very nice!! :thumbsup:

About the same mileage when I picked up my Voy.

:yes:

Congrats on the new ride!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhendsbee

Members Online