Look what happened after a panic stop

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Short drama:

Was rolling into work last Wednesday at about 60 ish MPH and was a good 2-3 seconds behind a newer F-150. We were both in the left lane and there was a car approaching from the right and I knew what was going to happen so I backed of a little more. He went past the truck and I assume past the car in front of him but I couldn't see anything after that but I saw brake lights on the F150 and I guess with the stiffer suspension, the rear doesn't really jump up when the brakes are mashed...and the tailgate came into view real quick.

I stood on the brakes and I felt the ABS pump kick in briefly and there was another noise like a light crack but a shaprper noise. I stopped in for my morning dose of joe and took a walk-around. As a sidenote...I was astounded on how well the LX-20's grabbed.

Seems the left control arm moved to the rear, not a good thing.

At the last alignment I was told I needed a caster adjustment on the LF and specifically told them after reading here about the bolt torque of the LCA, to make sure they are tight. Needless to say they probably werent tightened to spec, for the record..

Front bolt is 191 foot pounds, rear bolt is 177 foot pounds.

Attachments

• Caster1.jpg
    Caster1.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 22
  • Caster2.jpg
    Caster2.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 21

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Alignment results before and after.

Attachments

• 0119131119.jpg
    0119131119.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 0119131120.jpg
    0119131120.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 16

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Bill says he has that happen when his tires hit rocks.

On a side note my local Firestone manager lets me go back to watch the tech. Perhaps you should just do that when you go in for your alignment to get that fixed.

97blazer

Nov 23, 2012
I don't like that, I'll have to check mine. But did you notice any difference in the feel of the brakes afterward? I ask because I had occasion during the last rain to exercise my anti-locks and I swear most of my/the infamous spongy pedal has gone away. Pedal is much firmer, brakes more responsive and linear.

I can't help but think that there was air in the anti-lock system somewhere and activating the system somehow purged that air.:undecided:

I'm waiting for the next rain to exercise them once more to see if they improve some more.

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
97blazer said:
I don't like that, I'll have to check mine. But did you notice any difference in the feel of the brakes afterward? I ask because I had occasion during the last rain to exercise my anti-locks and I swear most of my/the infamous spongy pedal has gone away. Pedal is much firmer, brakes more responsive and linear.

I can't help but think that there was air in the anti-lock system somewhere and activating the system somehow purged that air.:undecided:

I'm waiting for the next rain to exercise them once more to see if they improve some more.

Sorry to leave your whole quote in there but trying to cut some of it out on the cellphone is awful. I noticed your post a few days back and yes, as soon as the ABS pump cycled, there was an immediate improvement in brake feel. GM procedure to bleed abs brakes is to cycle the pump.

97blazer

Nov 23, 2012
gmcman said:
Sorry to leave your whole quote in there but trying to cut some of it out on the cellphone is awful. I noticed your post a few days back and yes, as soon as the ABS pump cycled, there was an immediate improvement in brake feel. GM procedure to bleed abs brakes is to cycle the pump.

Thanks! I'll look into cycling the pump. Presumably there is a procedure. You or someone else can chime in but it's probably on the site I'll just have to look.

Dec 4, 2011
97blazer said:
Thanks! I'll look into cycling the pump. Presumably there is a procedure. You or someone else can chime in but it's probably on the site I'll just have to look.

Cycling the ABS is easy, and you don't need to wait for rain/snow. All you need to do is find a loose surface, dirt, gravel etc. and hit the brakes a little harder than usual. The pulsating pedal and noise will tell you, you have succeeded.

97blazer

Nov 23, 2012
It was either that or somthin' fancy. I'll take care of it. Thanks. AND, sorry but I had no intention to hijack this thread.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rgoldwing54