SOLVED! Locked out

zaid3ssaf

Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Midwest
Hi all,

While my step dad was wrenching on my 02 bravada, he shorted the battery terminals. The truck starts and drives just fine. The obd terminal is working as well and the the alternator is at 14.5 volts. However, the radio, power windows, key fob, 12v sockets are not working.

I get out of the car assuming that I got the key which will work,, well... It doesnt and I'm locked out. I can pop the hood open and disconnect the battery but that's as far as I can do. How the hell can I get in without busting a Window?

Appreciate the help. I'm sitting a Lowe's parking lot. Lol

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
I have seen others use those "air shims" to wedge open the top of a door frame just enough the get a poker of some sort in where they can hit the unlock button.

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
I have my Bluetooth adapter in. It's an elm 327. I have my phone

OK, it has been a while so I have to research this a bit. I have done it on my trailblazer. Essentially I use an android serial terminal app, connect to the elm and send a message as if I was the liftgate module. The liftgate module is the one that receives the signal from the keyfob amd instruxts the bcm to open the door....

zaid3ssaf

Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Midwest
I used a jumper cable and it worked. I'm in.l Off to autozone

Edit:
Thank you all for the prompt assistant. That's why I love this forum.

I used a jumper cable to jump from the battery, bypassing the fuse. The headlights came on and the key fob worked. The new one was purchased for $5 and everything is working properly. However, the feul economy (instant) shows zero and the range was constant at 372 mi. Hopefully the computer will 'relearn' and clear the issue.

Last edited:

JayArr

Sep 24, 2018
Mission BC Canada
What the hell am I missing here?

On My Envoy I can put the key in the lock of the Drivers door and turn it and the door unlocks.

Is that no longer mechanically linked with a metal rod? ie it requires battery power?

I thought the whole purpose of that one key lock was to get you into the car when the battery was dead so you could open the hood and jump start it.

Reactions: Redbeard

zaid3ssaf

Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Midwest
It is definitely not linked mechanically as I tried both my main and spare keys with no success. I've seen posts from way back where someone's battery died and they could not unlock the doors or open the hood, and someone (The Roadie, IIRC) told them that the only way to get power is to reach from underneath the engine and jump the alternator cables (if they have long hands) or put the jumper cables on the starter solenoid and run 12V so the door module would get power.

I get the safety aspect but this is ridiculous.

• Wow
Reactions: Redbeard

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It kinda happened to me. I had two sets of keys, used one to start the Saab and locked the doors to let it warm up. The other set wasn't able to unlock the doors using the fob and the door lock key cylinder was seized. Had to get a tow truck to use the bladder in the door jamb to slip a rod to hit the unlock button.

Just check your door key cylinder once in a while and lube it.

Last edited:

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Wow, I'll definitely be running a set of jumper lines to a small terminal block.
Another possibility is to use the trailer wiring to get some power in the system. Just need to have that option hooked up at the underhood fuseblock and not go over the amperage of the associated fuse.

Reactions: Mektek

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Another possibility is to use the trailer wiring to get some power in the system. Just need to have that option hooked up at the underhood fuseblock and not go over the amperage of the associated fuse.
I literally just typed out this whole response, and then saw yours...

There is another way to get power..

If you have the little red wire bolted onto the fuse panel, you can use a nail in that terminal at the trailer hitch, and jumper cable it to a good power source, and then use the chain hooks for a ground.

This should provide enough power to get the power door locks to work.

Reactions: TJBaker57

JayArr

Sep 24, 2018
Mission BC Canada
Great idea. I think I'll make a single wire with an end that will plug into that trailer plug and store it up under the bumper some where.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online