Locked front wheels

AKBLAZER

Original poster
Sep 9, 2019
Anchorage
New vehicle to me (05 TB 6 cyl) with 100k on it. Given to me. The transfer case has been abused and non functioning. ( Mechanic found bits and pieces in fluid.) Any way have salvage yard 226 TC to go in but am stumped by different issue I accidently discovered. I removed drivers side side wheel for more light ( both sides on jackstands), removed TC, driveshaft etc. While passing by that wheel, discovered it won't turn at all. Or the passenger side. Solid. Wheels turned before TC and attendant parts were removed. What has the front locked up? Did removing the TC wiring mess up the axle disconnect? The battery was disconnected per instructions. So for my first forum post, any ideas on what has occurred between putting it on stands and removing the TC etc? Off to work now, hopefully some ideas Thanx GC

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
It sounds like, at least to me, with the new TC case installed, you likely just need to make sure it is full on fluid, and then power it, and run it thru its functions, 2wd, 4auto, 4hi, Neutral, 4lo. They should unlock once you cycle it back to 2wd. If it doesnt, than it might be time to be worried.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Are both of your front wheels off the ground? If one is still on the ground, your disconnect might still be locked if you can't turn the other wheel. If both are off the ground, the other wheel should spin since it's an open diff.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
If thats the case, the wheel/s should spin freely.

AKBLAZER

Original poster
Sep 9, 2019
Anchorage
If thats the case, the wheel/s should spin freely.
You'd think. I parked it there last week all ok. Now, not even the tiniest bit of play. Just want to be able to push it to neighbor who has all the tools/lifts etc.
I'll give it a look see today. Dodging rain, cold and work lately.

GC

AKBLAZER

Original poster
Sep 9, 2019
Anchorage
Rusty rotors??
Apparently, didn't think they would rust up that tight in week.
Crisis averted.
Thanx

I'll open new thread on TC install when I try.
2 busted shoulders and floor jack and maybe helper.
Scoured internet videos.
Eh, rain and work all weekend anyway.

Thanks again
GC

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members