Load distribution bars set-up trouble / Denali / Air suspension

{tpc}

Jan 22, 2014
Maybe I need to switch brackets...if I have that one. I bought mine used so not sure. I do know I'm using the quick release one though I've never taken it off lol.

On my v8 Tahoe there is an option for an auxiliary cooler that mounts in front of the radiator that is in addition to the on that's in the radiator. Mine didn't come with it, so I added it by buying the gm kit that came with replacement trans lines and everything needed to install. What a pita that was lol.

Bow_Tied

Original poster
Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
Oh right, Tahoe, got it. That's nice to have the extra cooler that OE design.

The P3 should come with both brackets. The U bracket is a simple thing that you could make if desired. Two bends and 4 holes.

07Denali

Feb 28, 2013
Im towing a 2015.5 Lance travel trailer that weighs around 4900lbs loaded for camping with the 07 denali but have the Andersen WDH I read the manual too about how to setup the WDH with the air ride and leave the truck turned off while I hook up my wdh using the electric trailer jack to get the right settings. then start the truck and watch it even out.

{tpc}

Jan 22, 2014
Ya Bow_Tied, I'm sure I could make something. It might be in the box. I bought it used but he had the box and everything, so I may have just gone with the easiest setup or what I had, can't remember.

07Denali...how do you like the anderson setup? I'm trying to recall exactly how it is, i'm pretty sure its not the same as a traditional wdh. I do find it interesting that you also attach everything and then as a last step, fire up the truck.

07Denali

Feb 28, 2013
Well the Andersen is my first WDH that being said I love it its light weight compared to other brands and really easy to setup with chains and poly bushings providing the spring. This is a short video showing how it works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRoQ_yQZQwQ

Reactions: Bow_Tied

Bow_Tied

Original poster
Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
Looks like a cool system.

de3jr88

Dec 8, 2011
Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
I arrived late to this party LOL. A couple things I would like to add. Avoid towing in OD whenever you can. Your cooler should be able to manage the temps but your tranny will hunt gears all the time. You mentioned you have 3.42 gearing, driving out of OD will keep your revs up in your power band. Yes its crappy on fuel but better for your tranny. Changing your ratio is very expensive as you would also have to change the front diff too. I have 4.10's on my i6 and towing in '3' puts me at 3000rpm at 100kph. I wish I had 3.73's

Glad you got your WD set up. I use a Husky system which is very similar to Curt. I think people worry a little too much about their bars being level. They cant be angled up like their graphic shows but your truck and trailer equipment present limitatiions and their graphic is for the 'perfect setup'. Your setup looks really good, the bars are very slightly up but they have lots of free movement space for turning. The key is how well does it perform in real world conditions.

I found when I set up my system (years ago) that the biggest issue was how the hitch itself is mounted on the Envoy. The receiver is at an upward angle, and that means you have to tilt your drawbar head down toward the tongue of the trailer more than normal.

WD hitch setup can be the most frustrating and time consuming task you will ever take on, but I think you already figured that one out.

Reactions: Bow_Tied

Bow_Tied

Original poster
Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
No worries about being late, more info is always good. I have found exactly as you say, power-band is best in 3rd not OD. In fact, it would be better with 3.73:1s but as you noted, it would be a price swapy. When shopping for our Envoy I really wanted a 5 passenger Denali with those gears. They are so hard to find locally with low kms, at least when I was shopping, I had to settle for 3.42s. The towing in the RPM sense is very much like my old Jimmy with 3.42s where it didn't like OD at all. My other Jimmy with 3.73s liked it better, but still not a lot. It is my guess that this trailer is heavy enough to want at least 4.10s to be able to use OD. I don't tow often enough to warrant that and if I did I'd have a different TV.

I also found that I required a lot of hitch head tilt toward the trailer. I have about 7 spacer washers!! I have been thinking about about redoing the set up, here is why:

I was worried about getting the front fender measurement described in the manual correct. It is great now. However I think that if I have the set-up of the hitch off a bit, even a fair bit, the air suspension would compensate until the front fender measurement would appear fine. My set up is pretty bouncy now that I have it more set-up with gear they way we will actually go camping. I just don't know what is typical for a reference point if I am too bouncy or not.

de3jr88

Dec 8, 2011
Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
I can honestly say that I have zero experience setting up a WD with air ride. To me, I would have my air charged up before hook up but others seem to suggest hooking up first.

You may find that it takes several trips and adjustments to get set up the way you want it. As far as how much bounce should be expected, that depends on the road conditions, the condition of your rear suspension and your comfort level.

One more consideration. Your combination of vehicle, trailer and WD system may make finding the 'zone' frustrating. If you find after 1 season of towing that you are still struggling to acheive a good setup, you might want to consider a different WD system. There are many different ones out there, you might just need to find the one that fits your combination if you are not able to get the adjustments you want.

Bow_Tied

Original poster
Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
I think... no, I know I will get this set up dialed in the way I like it - there is NO WAY I'd start over with a new system now, lol. :crazy: :rotfl:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher