Light that shows gear position

thebat

Original poster
May 14, 2017
New England
So the indicator that shows what gear I am in is dim. Sometimes, depending on ambient light, I can hardley see it. All the other dash lights work fine, just this one. Since there is no indicater where the shifter is (like every other freaking car in the universe,) this problem is very annoying and possibly dangerous. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
So the indicator that shows what gear I am in is dim. Sometimes, depending on ambient light, I can hardley see it. All the other dash lights work fine, just this one. Since there is no indicater where the shifter is (like every other freaking car in the universe,) this problem is very annoying any possibly dangerous. Any thoughts?

That display is provided by a soldered connection on the back of the instrument cluster.
Over time, that joint gets weak and, at first will show a dimmed display. Once the joint breaks, no more PRNDL on the dash.

To check if there's still some sort of connection, turn up the lighting to max on your dash - it'll be faint (and may only be visible in the dark.)

If you're handy with a soldering iron, you can fix it in about 10min. If not, there are outfits that will do the job, for a price, of course. Figure $50-$300, depending on if you find a local resource or not, any additional work done on the cluster (stepper motors, bulb replacements / conversions, etc.), or if you purchase a 'new' one and send them yours as a core, etc.

If you want to take a crack at repairing it, there are pictures on this site and many (?) others that show the process.

thebat

Original poster
May 14, 2017
New England
Thanks for that information. I just checked to make sure and the light on the indicater is dim and dims even more when I dim the lights.
Can you tell me exactly where the info is regarding repairing it? I am handy with a soldering iron but I am not sure about getting at the connection.

Last edited:

KEEBZ489

Jan 16, 2018
Howard Beach NY
i just fixed mine when i relaced the cluster bulbs with led's.its pretty easy. i should have took pics
these are the 2 videos i used as a guide before i started though. if you do the led they are polarity sensitive , i bent the last 1/8" into "feet" so i had more area to solder instead of the pinpoint of the diode leg

this one , at the 3:38 mark shows the gear indicator on a silverado. mine was more of a flat solder than pointed , but i just heated up the original and put a dab of fresh on. good as new.

thebat

Original poster
May 14, 2017
New England
I removed the cluster after watching a couple of Youtube videos. Relatively easy job, but you should have a magnetic grabber cause you're gonna drop a couple of the screws down under the cluster.
I just sent mine off to a repair service on Ebay. They replaced all the lights and stepper motors for about $100. You could chose the color of lights you want too. Quick turn around, I paid out bound shipping and they paid return. Cost me about $20 for the express 2 day.
They did a good job and I'm happy with the nice bright display. Also nice to know there are new stepper motors, it's just one less thing to worry about. It's really a PIA not to be able to see the PRNDL setting.
Thanks for all the help and Merry Christmas everybody!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online