light flicker???

Tofer76

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
anyone know whyat about 3-4k rpm the interior and head lights start flickering a bit ?? noticed it tonight when i was passing some cars kinda wierd

jham

Nov 20, 2011
Tofer76 said:
anyone know whyat about 3-4k rpm the interior and head lights start flickering a bit ?? noticed it tonight when i was passing some cars kinda wierd

alternator, battery get them load tested

Tofer76

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
i just replaced my coils and plugs and now it flickers about 3 to 4k rpms
its gets worse the harder i push it however its not throwing any misfire codes yet. but im wondering if its arcing to the plug well walls ? they are brand new so i wouldnt think so but i dont know what else it could be

as for the battery and alt i will get tested but i didnt have this problem till coil/plug change that i remember

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Spark plug mis-activity could not cause voltage fluctuations that you could notice on lamps. Above 1K RPMs, the alternator should keep the voltage very steady unless you have some other varying load or bad wiring connections like the battery ground to the body or alternator to battery.

Tofer76

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
the roadie said:
Spark plug mis-activity could not cause voltage fluctuations that you could notice on lamps. Above 1K RPMs, the alternator should keep the voltage very steady unless you have some other varying load or bad wiring connections like the battery ground to the body or alternator to battery.

not that i dis agree but when my original coil was misfiring(the start to all of this) everytime it did the lights and dash as well as the voltmeter would flicker
i thought maybe it was shorting in the plug well or something

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Interesting. Except for an odd unfiltered noise injection to the alternator's voltage regulator, I can't imagine any electronic way for that to happen. No way for a misfire to make the coil draw any more power than was already about to go into its spark plug.

You replaced ALL your coils? Got any probably-good old ones you can swap back in there one at a time?

Tofer76

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
well today i noticed that it has moved down the rpm range. i mean that now the guage drops and everything draws down at a lower rpm around 2200 now . it wont do it at all under that range. i had autozone and oreilys at 2 diff locations test and 3 out of the 4 said bad batt , so i put in a new one (under warr.) and it still does it. tomorrow im going to change the belt then check, then pull the alt and take it in to have checked

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
Tofer76 said:
well today i noticed that it has moved down the rpm range. i mean that now the guage drops and everything draws down at a lower rpm around 2200 now . it wont do it at all under that range. i had autozone and oreilys at 2 diff locations test and 3 out of the 4 said bad batt , so i put in a new one (under warr.) and it still does it. tomorrow im going to change the belt then check, then pull the alt and take it in to have checked

I think it would be worth checking your ground wires. Mine magically went loose somehow and it was like disco lights in and out. Tightened it and thinks went back to normal :smile:

Tofer76

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
well checked all grounds and clean and tight. had alt checked at autozone and oriellys and both said its bad so
in the last few months i have found out that i need to do

new battery (done)
new alt
new thermostat
new belt (done)
new fan clutch (going w a 08)
new tune (cuz of the fan)
new cts (just cuz ill be in there)
new rad hoses ( just cuz ill have everything open)
new coils and plugs (done)
new 02 sensor(just cuz)

with 150000 mi on the clock i figure the just cuz items are a good idea and some of them will be done because the other stuff will be outta the way

grrrr i feel like im playin catch up with the stuff that the PO should have done already

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher