Light bar mounts

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
They are only custom made. No pre-built ones out there.

Dicbutkuss

Original poster
Jun 30, 2019
Kansas
Ok but will it will it whistle if I drill through the roof like a Jeep or not and I do plan on sealing the holes with silicone

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
What he means is, essentially no, there are no light bar mounts for our platform. You would have to find a place to make it custom for you, or you'd have to try and build your own. Either way, acoustic testing would have to be done by the one designing the mount. There's no way we could answer that for you.

Dicbutkuss

Original poster
Jun 30, 2019
Kansas
Most light bars come with brackets on the bottoms of them to blot to another bracket or roof is what I am getting at I have a buddy who did that on a Jeep and if you drill trough the roof it whistles I was just going to put silicone around it to keep it from leaking and mabeu stop the whistle.

Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
Most light bars come with brackets on the bottoms of them to blot to another bracket or roof is what I am getting at I have a buddy who did that on a Jeep and if you drill trough the roof it whistles I was just going to put silicone around it to keep it from leaking and mabeu stop the whistle.

The whistle has nothing to do with drilling a hole in the roof. It is due to aerodynamic effects of air being forced across the light and its mounts and between the roof/windshield and the light. There is no way to predict which combination of brackets, lights, and positioning will whistle and which will not without testing.

It is not recommended to drill through the roof for mounting. Most light manufacturers recommend drilling into the "A" pillar inside the door edge to cover the screw holes. Most also recommend the same for the wiring for the same reason.

I've seen some good posts on brackets that people custom fabricated to fit a full length lightbar across the top of a trailblazer windshield while also using the provided brackets that came with the light - bolting the provided brackets to the custom fab ones. IMHO it is best to concentrate your efforts here.

Either that, or go extra FUDD and do what I did: my Whelen Liberty II lightbar is mounted to my cargo bars on the roof with wiring through notches on the rear door frames left and right. I realize this is not the type of lightbar you are likely asking about, but the principle is the same. The positioning is perhaps not ideal for offroad lighting as it is just slightly ahead of the "B" pillar, but for my purposes it's perfect. With an offroad lightbar, depending on the beam pattern, this position would splash a little light on the hood while an "over the windshield" location would not - but at least it can be accomplished with no drilling. I was able to locate square nuts with springs attached that fit right into the notches on the cargo bars. The springs push the nut up against the top of the inside of the channel and allow for easy starting of bolts. The ones I found had bolts that fit right through the feet on my lightbar. You may be able to find similar for your lightbar mounting brackets.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Its generally the cooling fins on the lightbar that whistle. Some use foam or similar between them to stop the occurrence.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online