Liftgate Cargo Hooks

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
Anyone have any thoughts on how I can put some hooks on the face of my liftgate? It would be very handy to be able to hang my sweaty gross biking gear up there after a ride, and before I drive away. I'm thinking the kind of hooks most cars have by the back doors to hang clothes on. Maybe 3 or so of those across the back of the interior side of the lift gate.

Just for reference, this is what my lift-gate looks like open:
AodnAnb.jpg

And this is what I'd like it to look like:
EOY1pDl.jpg

Note the subtle difference.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt

Dec 2, 2011

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
The type of solution you'd need depends entirely on how much weight you plan to hang, and where. Stick on hooks could work.

You could opt to drill some small holes in the plastic trim, use some threaded hooks, with a nut/washer combo on either side of the plastic. That would distribute the weight more and let you support a bit more weight. Obviously you'd have to pull the panel off for that.

To take this a step further, if your holes were in a straight line across, use a piece of aluminum on the inside of the panel to give a bit of strength for the hooks, and distribute the weight across the width of the panel, not just in the localized areas where the hooks are mounted. Obviously that's a bit extreme for hanging clothes, but you get the idea.

Just have to get creative with it, see what kinda stuff you have available, and what you want to work with, then start planning. :thumbsup:

Reactions: Matt

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
You could easily dril holes and use hooks, but if you do, consider using a small metal plate on the inner side to spread the weight over more plastic so it does not crack.

Reactions: Capote and Matt

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
There may be a screw holding the top of the panel to the gate, near the window latch. Open your lift gate glass and check from the outside. Other than that, it's held in by clips around the edges. The top panel overlays the main one, the clips will release by pulling the sides of the top piece towards each other, and then the top piece comes down. :twocents:

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
@jsheahawk That recessed hook is a good idea. That along with metal backing spread amongst the back of the hooks would look good, may even have an OEM appearance.

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
I couldn't tell from the picture, how that recessed hook actually attaches. But it's very much the wrong color anyway. I'm thinking I'll just get some small hooks that are from the roof of some similarly colored vehicle. They'll be so small that it shouldn't matter that they are not recessed. But I want to take the panel off and get a better look at what i'm dealing with before I actually do anything.

Reactions: Capote

jsheahawk

Jan 16, 2013
Kansas City
Those are pretty. That descent photo is simultaneously hilarious and terrifying!

Do you do any XC riding? How do those Hookworms do on dirt? I'd think they would slip pretty easily.

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
Hookworms are awesome on dirt! Around here, everything is either rock or hard packed dirt. Hookworms maximize the surface contact patch, which maximizes the friction, which maximizes the traction! If there are any super loose gravely areas, they can be a little hairy. And in the fall when there are leaves everywhere, again a little sketchy. But most of the time, on most of the trails, hookworms are awesome!

Shaw520

Sep 20, 2017
Northeast
In the world of dirt biking,..(motocross/enduro) they have recently learned that a good 'trials' tire will hook up better than a knobby,..more surface contact,.. imaging that, after all these years of having to have the best,.. most aggressive knobby out there, something learned every day

Reactions: Redbeard

Snailblazin'

Dec 9, 2011
I like the stink lines, a touch of realism. If you haven't found a solution yet using the factory cargo net but strung across the the front of the cargo area is both cheap and effective as a place to store and dry sweaty bike gear. Mine supports helmets, gloves, Camelbak, first aid kit, keeps my dog in the back and its easy to get at when bikes are on the back of the truck and I can only open the glass.Cargo Area 2.jpg

Reactions: Blckshdw

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
When i started this post, many moons ago, I honestly never noticed the hooks that are already in the truck, that you hung your cargo net from! Once I found those, I just hung my shit from there. I even have a coat hanger and clothes pins so I can hang a sweaty jersey and let it air dry on the way home without it flying away. Somehow I had never noticed those hooks, so when I'd sit there at the end of a ride with the gate open, i'd think "too bad there aren't hooks there".

I still might string a clothesline of some kind across, I'm not sure yet. But I don't need liftgate hooks any more.

Also these trucks came with a cargo net?? Man I wish my USED trailblazer came with one of those :/

Snailblazin'

Dec 9, 2011
That sucker was purloined from my 2002. It sat around for years until I saw an overland build on a 4Runner and they installed something called a cargo attic which is basically the same thing but strung parallel with the ceiling, and 150-250 bones. I just loosened the garment hooks and turned them around so the net can't slip off and attached the hooks on the net to the headrest posts. Another benefit is my kids can jettison gear and stuff it into the net from the back seat and their various accoutrements aren't on the floor soaking up water.

Last edited:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Heck shopping bags will slide all over even if you drive like grandma.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I might install some on the sides to hook them plastic shopping bags. They tend to fly here and there due to my driving style 😁
Heck shopping bags will slide all over even if you drive like grandma.

Lucky for me, the 3 position tray that comes with the LWB models has some handy hooks on it that are perfect for keeping grocery bags upright, and in place. :thumbsup:

IMG_20180207_174338.jpg

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I didn't even know you could do that with it. Mine came with it and never used it. Still have it in storage even though the truck is gone.

Reactions: Blckshdw

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
That's literally the only thing I use it for. When I had the 3rd row seats in and needed to lay them down to fit items back there, it was handy for providing a level surface from the 2nd row seats to the liftgate. But yeah unless I know I need to secure small items back there, it stays in the garage.

The Northface EXT models, their trays have folding legs, that turn it into a table. That's that fancy life right there :tongue:

Mar 30, 2016
KSA
Lucky for me, the 3 position tray that comes with the LWB models has some handy hooks on it that are perfect for keeping grocery bags upright, and in place. :thumbsup:

View attachment 83145

Wow! I never knew these trays existed! That's handy and sem to be just at the right height for them shopping bags

That's literally the only thing I use it for. When I had the 3rd row seats in and needed to lay them down to fit items back there, it was handy for providing a level surface from the 2nd row seats to the liftgate. But yeah unless I know I need to secure small items back there, it stays in the garage.

The Northface EXT models, their trays have folding legs, that turn it into a table. That's that fancy life right there :tongue:

Ohh yeah the Northface edition. You got any pictures of the table tray 😊

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScannerHeath

Members Online