Lifter tick, piston slap, or...?

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Long story short I get this cold start tick sometimes. Not always. One day a few weeks ago it was really angry sounding but been fine since. Actual outside temperature seems to make little difference, I've heard it at cold start when it is relatively warm outside or when it is frigid, or it has also been totally quiet.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
First... this inexpensive effeort can be done to Flush Out any detritus stuck inside of the Tiny Lifter Orifices...:

And if the problem persists...Briansmobile1 Classic Berryman 12 Direct Spray down inside of the Push Rods and Lifters would follow on if needed:

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Can't say I'm comfortable with engine flush stuff. And honestly, that video doesn't say much because he also switched from dirty conventional to fresh (mostly) synthetic oil.

I've seen that second video, mine's not that kind of noise at all.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
To my non-professional ear, listening over crappy laptop speakers...I think it's lifter tick.

I've heard piston slap; it tends to be less frequent, more isolated, & a little quieter (different sound, too - been awhile, but distinctive to my ear, at least).
The other thing is that piston slap doesn't tend to be an intermittent sort of thing, IIRC - once you hear / isolate it, you'll probably notice it on a near-daily basis.

Did it do this from the time you got the truck, or did it begin / get worse over time?

And of course, I'm going to ask... what oil brand / viscosity? LOL

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
It has done it off and on ever since I bought it, so for the last 62k miles at least. It has 190k on it now.

Mobil 1 5W-30.

Last edited:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Sounds like a lifter tick to me. Maybe an exhaust leak.. (sierra sounded like a lifter tick when the stud broke off the manifold.) rocker arm would have more of a ring to it from the push rod rattling around.

Reactions: Reprise

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
+1 on lifter tick. Yours sounds the same as Briansmobile but faster. I'd try a flush and then add a liter of tranny fluid to the oil change as a long term cleanout scheme. Can't hurt.

itsatruck

Oct 12, 2017
Warren, Pennsylvania
I would try replacing 2 quarts with Marvel Mystery Oil. The stuff is amazing. My TB was completely sludged up when I got it and was throwing codes. Changed the oil and used that stuff and within 50 miles the CEL was off.

I am not a big fan of Band-Aid in a bottle solution but I discovered this stuff from a buddy who used to use it on a beater Dodge v6 pickup. His truck wouldn't start and I swear to god he would pour some of this in and sometimes that would be enough to get it going.

Also, which Mobil 1 are you using? My Subaru doesn't like "Extended Performance" but did well with "Advanced Fuel Economy." My TB got Mobil Super High Mileage last time.

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I've been using the "plain" Mobil 1 synthetic stuff. No high mileage or extended performance stuff.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I didn't see that you added the brand. M1 *can* be 'noisy', although 5w-30 isn't terribly so, IME. (admittedly, it's been a few years since I used it.)

For some time, I've had vehicles that called for 5w-20 or 0w-20. After finding M1 to be a bit noisy on the top end (one reason being that those are such thin oils), I tried Pennzoil Platinum after reading about it on BITOG. No more noise, and my OLAs came out great - certainly just as good as M1. The PP is just as thin (maybe even more so), but for whatever reason, it did quieten my top end, compared to M1.

The only reason I don't use it on the Voy is because the 5.3 (or, at least mine specifically) isn't known for great oil control (I know I have a small (?) leak, and I think there's a little bit of a consumption issue as well, especially at higher RPM). Maybe I'll try the PP on the Envoy at next oil change. Right now I use MaxLife HM blend 5w-30 in it. I would like to get to full synth at some point, as the Voy can sit for a week or longer between starts.

That reminds me - I need to get a sample of the Voy's oil off to Blackstone. Sitting in the collection bottle just waiting to be mailed. :Banghead::dunce::duh:
Should give me some info re: consumption.

Last edited:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I didn't see that you added the brand. M1 *can* be 'noisy', although 5w-30 isn't terribly so, IME. (admittedly, it's been a few years since I used it.)

For some time, I've had vehicles that called for 5w-20 or 0w-20. After finding M1 to be a bit noisy on the top end (one reason being that those are such thin oils), I tried Pennzoil Platinum after reading about it on BITOG. No more noise, and my OLAs came out great - certainly just as good as M1. The PP is just as thin (maybe even more so), but for whatever reason, it did quieten my top end, compared to M1.

The only reason I don't use it on the Voy is because the 5.3 (or, at least mine specifically) isn't known for great oil control (I know I have a small (?) leak, and I think there's a little bit of a consumption issue as well, especially at higher RPM). Maybe I'll try the PP on the Envoy at next oil change. Right now I use MaxLife HM blend 5w-30 in it. I would like to get to full synth at some point, as the Voy can sit for a week or longer between starts.

That reminds me - I need to get a sample of the Voy's oil off to Blackstone. Sitting in the collection bottle just waiting to be mailed. :Banghead::dunce::duh:
Should give me some info re: consumption.
The quieter operation with pp is because it is group 3. Not 4. My truck was a lot quieter with the m1 Ep vs regular m1... I haven't tried the Penzoil yet but a lot of guys like it. That being said I'm running mobil 1 out 14k before I change it and it tests mint.

Reactions: Reprise

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Hearing that the EP was quieter than the base M1 - I haven't looked at the stats, but I'd guess that the EP might be more shear stable - ?

Glad to see I'm not the only one anal-retentive enough to research lubricity & do UOAs (not 'OLA', as I misidentified them earlier...what the hell was I thinking?) :duh:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Hearing that the EP was quieter than the base M1 - I haven't looked at the stats, but I'd guess that the EP might be more shear stable - ?

Glad to see I'm not the only one anal-retentive enough to research lubricity & do UOAs (not 'OLA', as I misidentified them earlier...what the hell was I thinking?) :duh:
The EP has a bit more anti wear additives, it is more like the older mobil 1 formula, it also has a higher tbn as well. It's more viscous iirc, little thicker.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
That'd be the one I'd buy, then. Worth the extra money, IMO.
I'll also be honest...I was swayed on EP by Mobil's advertising showing film retention improvement w/ that formula vs. a 'synth blend'. Which is important for the way I use the Voy (infrequently).

Will look for it my next Costco trip - I know they always have the regular M1, and I think they carry EP now, too.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Why don't you run a little bit of MMO in it, take a short drive and do an oil change right after? It'll clean any gunk causing a lifter to stick a bit.

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Yeah, I'll be doing that before the next oil change.

Reactions: Capote

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
If that doesn't clear up things, it's likely just an exhaust leak at the manifold.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online