Lift gate support struts

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Just installed a couple of Strong Arm struts because I was tired of bumping my head.Strange thing is,is that the S/A struts were identical while the originals were marked left and right...try as I might,I could not find a reason for the L& R.
The new ones work so nice that I ordered a set for the trunk on my wifes Malibu...and again L&R....am I missing something?...Mike.

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
It may be possible that the same struts you purchased are used on another vehicle, just with different mount designs that require proper orientation. This would require changing the ends on the strut only. For cost, stamping all as rt and lt is easier than a select few if this is the reason.

Or maybe it's an inventory control measure... See how many rt vs lt are returned while under warranty...

In either case, the manufacturer lists the same part number for the tb, no difference in rt vs lt, part number 4573 for the lift gate... So either will work on either side so long as they are installed proper side up.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I did a search on this issue years ago when it came up on the OS. Never could find a reason for the OEM designer's craziness either. In most organizations, engineering is under orders to re-use existing parts as much as possible and reduce the number of items in the logistics pipeline. In my small engineering company, we decided that adding another part to the stockroom cost the company $50 on top of the cost of the parts, so for small production runs, we could waste a few of the existing penny-level parts like resistors rather than add a part that was a more perfect fit. So we have a lot of things like two 10K resistors in series rather than a single 20K, for instance. Makes the schematics look suboptimal, but we've done the economic analysis.

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
So Strong Arm 4573 for the liftgate itself, what about the rear glass shocks, anybody have a Strong Arm part number for those?

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
MichEnvoyGuy said:
So Strong Arm 4573 for the liftgate itself, what about the rear glass shocks, anybody have a Strong Arm part number for those?

#4576 for the glass

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
MichEnvoyGuy said:

Yes 4573 is what I used but, you have to be careful who you buy from. All the big name A/P stores spec'd 4574 and come to find out those are for the XL and are longer and would not have worked for me.Strange that even J C Whitney made no mention of XL vs std.
My point is that they may "miss the boat" on your other applications as well so beware...Mike.

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
the roadie said:
I did a search on this issue years ago when it came up on the OS. Never could find a reason for the OEM designer's craziness either..
Craziness no doubt but,Iam determined to find out if there might be a legit reason.Could it be that the right pushes and the left pulls unlike the dual action replacements? now that would be crazy...Mike.:undecided:
PS In reality I think that they always push and the rest is geometry.

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
northcreek said:
Yes 4573 is what I used but, you have to be careful who you buy from. All the big name A/P stores spec'd 4574 and come to find out those are for the XL and are longer and would not have worked for me.Strange that even J C Whitney made no mention of XL vs std.
My point is that they may "miss the boat" on your other applications as well so beware...Mike.

I'm just going to leave this here in case anyone wants to cross check in the future... It's the part number lookup on the manufacturer's site... http://www.avmind.com/ecat/Default.aspx

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
:crazy:

The OE parts have to be connector orientated when on the production line so that the person that is installing can just pick it up and pop it on.

The StrongArm part is the same part because the installer has a little more time to rotate the lift supports in order to install. Let me know if you have any questions.

Hope this helps,

Betty Owens

AVM, Industries

800-790-5438 Toll

843-464-5356 Phone

843-464-5390 Fax

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,Can you please tell me why OEM struts specify a left and right placement? My "Strong Arm" ambidextrous struts work just fine.....what's the reason?..Mike.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
northcreek said:
The OE parts have to be connector orientated when on the production line so that the person that is installing can just pick it up and pop it on.
This says so many bad things about the state of the American assembly line worker that I'm croggled. :lipsrsealed:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Or they figure that it makes it take 2 seconds less per vehicle.

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
the roadie said:
This says so many bad things about the state of the American assembly line worker that I'm croggled. :lipsrsealed:

Maybe they had too many carpal tunnel cases from the tortuous task of holding one of those humungus struts in one hand and turning them 180 degrees with the other hand.
Makes me wonder how many other left/right parts are dummy proofed.:confused:

KNBlazer

Feb 8, 2012
yep, what was said about the orientation of the mounting points is correct, I just did some research as I need the glass struts.. went to AcDelco.com and they gave me two part numbers and a "1 needed per PN"

510-968 (19165238)

&

510-969 (19165239)

A difference of a couple dollars in price between OE and aftermarket if you look around, online of course :biggrin:...

My OE numbers on my Glass Struts are (RH 15050925) & (LH 15050924)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.