Lift gate struts

DonnyDrywall

Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
Whats up people, I'm new here and look forward to having access to a populated forum for questions and what have you.

Anyway, my first question is in regards to the struts that lift the lift gate. I would like to know what the rating is of the strut, or how much outward force do they put out in lbs. My place of employment stocks all kinds of gas struts but in the 20 inch the strongest strut we stock is 120 lbs and they wont lift the gate. I know a quick search on amazon turns up a few results and I can get a pair for less than 40 bucks but why pay when I can get a sample from a supplier for free. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
DonnyDrywall said:
... why pay when I can get a sample from a supplier for free. ...
Welcome! Depending on who your supplier is, they may be rated for indoor or industrial use, not the extreme heat and cold of an automotive part. I agree they are going to be very stiff units, but I don't recall anybody doing the math or precise measurement before. If I had to make a quick engineering estimate, I'd guess the liftgate weighs at least 100 pounds, so that's 50 pounds per side. The mechanical advantage (lever arm) of the strut mounts is at least 4-to-1, so that would mean each strut has to have over 200 pound rating. But it's important to match it properly because too much force could shoot open the liftgate when opened and that's a safety and damage hazard. And the damping mechanism to slow down the opening just before full extension should also match the factory OEM units or the mounts are at risk.

If I needed new struts, I'd just buy them for $30 a pair off Ebay and not worry. They're not *that* expensive...:wink:

AbsoluteZero

Nov 21, 2011
If you look at ROCKAUTO'S site for your part number. The Rhinopac brand shows ratings for their various units.

DonnyDrywall

Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
the roadie said:
they may be rated for indoor or industrial use, not the extreme heat and cold of an automotive part.

Good point, our gas struts are used to hold open heavy doors on assembly line signs we build for the GM. They spend their lives in the rafters of the Gm Fort Wayne Assembly Plant, and the like. Regardless of the extreme conditions they may or may not encounter, I have to agree that they may not last very long in a automotive application. All things considered, I don't think i can go wrong with a free pair of gas struts, especially since my oem's are not unusable.

DonnyDrywall

Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
'HA, I just looked closely at your avatar roadie "its not to expensive, you're to cheap" Now I feel shameful.....

AbsoluteZero

Nov 21, 2011
I replaced the units on the 03 Envoy in May 2008 with the StrongArm brand. They've lived up to the hype over 6 yrs later. Just starting to need an extra nudge to fully open when I park in 30° weather. Living in central Arizona generally not an issue!
Out of curiosity isn't it moot since your company only has 120 lb units in the 20" length?... and they don't work.... or do you have another free source?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
DonnyDrywall said:
'HA, I just looked closely at your avatar roadie "its not to expensive, you're to cheap" Now I feel shameful.....
Nah, you should see the REALLY excessively frugal folks who want to use hockey pucks for lift kits, eke another winter of life out of an 8 year old battery, or complain about the cost of $80 tires but think nothing of spending $4K on a thumping audio system. :rotfl:

That's actually the motto for a local craft brewery (Stone), whose Arrogant Bastard devil guy used to be my avatar (and still is forevermore back at Trailvoy, where we're all frozen in time after having been banned).

DonnyDrywall

Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
haha good stuff... and I do have access to samples from various suppliers. all I have to do is tell our purchasing manager I need some 190 lb 20 inch gas struts and he will contact various suppliers who will then send off a pair of samples. they would be old stock with minor cosmetic damage but will still function properly.

dla442

Mar 31, 2012
grand rapids, mi
anyone know why the top of the liftgate strut will pop off the ball? the ball seems fine and not damaged. new struts on then few months go by and it pops off and bends, replaced and it keeps popping off the top ball? the metal is straight where ball attaches. bad liftgate hinges? one side seems to move slightly different than the other when closing?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
anyone know why the top of the liftgate strut will pop off the ball? the ball seems fine and not damaged. new struts on then few months go by and it pops off and bends, replaced and it keeps popping off the top ball? the metal is straight where ball attaches. bad liftgate hinges? one side seems to move slightly different than the other when closing?

My driver's side lift gate glass strut does this, but I think that's my own fault. I had issues getting it to snap in place, so I bent the metal clips just a bit to loosen them. Now it's not tight enough to always stay in place, if I don't hold onto the glass and raise it slowly, it pops off the top mount. Trying to tighten the metal clip doesn't help, cuz then I can't get it on again. I've been too lazy to get a replacement for it. :frown:

Reactions: Mooseman

dla442

Mar 31, 2012
grand rapids, mi
cheers. i dug into this. well, adavnce auto sold be the wrong one that was made for a heavier tailgate so alot of pressure, thus why so hard to shut. went got me some from my delco supplier. same part and mfg but different model #...alas ez as pie to shut.

Reactions: Blckshdw

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online