License Plate Relocation

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
I am planning to have Mr. Barton weld me on a tire carrier shortly and thus will have the need to relocate my license plate. I know several people have shifted them to the side and ran a plpate holder with light powered via the existing license plate light wiring. I would like to get some pics of your setups here for future reference of others(please share), but also have an idea that fits my situation.

Being I have the rear brushguard, I was thinking I would attach the plate holder and light to it. This creates an issue of powering the light since I cant run the wires from the hatch to the brushguard and still open the hatch. I was thinking to tie into the taillight or hopefully into the trailer wiring. Anyone have any advice or help for me?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I tapped into the trailer wiring for my LED license plate holder. I can ty-wrap the holder anywhere not on the hatch, and the wiring pulls off with an in-line bullet pin connector. Sometimes these drawings you can find on-line have an alignment notch shown on the bottom, not top. My holder was an option with the HitchGate, but you can find them at any RV store, I've seen.

View attachment 16552

Attachments

• Bargman_TM.jpg
    Bargman_TM.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 121

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
:goodpost::thankyou:Those diagrams were perfect to show me where to tap in. :thankyou:

I ordered the plate holder from a trailer place yesterday. Simple steel one with the light builtin and the same 194 bulb as the factory uses.

jham

Nov 20, 2011
I have been thinking about this as well for when i get my tire carrier I was thinking of making a mount to the carrier and hide the wires in the tire mount. Thanks roadie for the diagram
Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

JamesDowning

Nov 22, 2011
Kyle, this solution might work for you. It's pretty simple. I had this for a while before I got mine mounted to the rear gate.

7.jpg

gotspeed1

Dec 3, 2011
IMG_0625.jpg

IMG_0624.jpg

Kind of primitive, but definitely stable. I ran an LED strip on the top of the license plate cover from the existing light wiring. The hardware can be found at any home improvement store, I'm sure.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
James, did you have a light on the plate there? Thats where i was planning to mount mine.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Got my light/plate bracket last night. Seems solid enough and uses the same 194 bulb for light. I will post a pic later and review after that, but it was under 10 bucks on ebay.

The interesting thing is that it only has one black wire coming out of the light.

JamesDowning

Nov 22, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Got my light/plate bracket last night. Seems solid enough and uses the same 194 bulb for light. I will post a pic later and review after that, but it was under 10 bucks on ebay.

The interesting thing is that it only has one black wire coming out of the light.

That's the hot wire. The housing must ground itself through the housing attachment screws.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
JamesDowning said:
That's the hot wire. The housing must ground itself through the housing attachment screws.

Wonder if I need to do a ground wire since it will be attached to the powdercoated brushguard or if the housing itself is enough?

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
light3.jpg

light2.jpg

light.jpg

Going to paint the grey part black.

Hotness

Dec 7, 2011
I have been dealing with this all week trying to find a place for it so I can finally start using the carrier u gave me. I ordered a light on eBay but not sure where to mount everything. I don't have a brush guard so probably going to end up doing the off to the left method. I will be interested to see your carrier welded on. I am worried about having to use the hitch for an extraction while I have the carrier in their. Maybe this one could be modified to be a weld on as well. Hmmm.......

Scooter Scott

Dec 7, 2011
Why can't you mount it on your hatch where gotspeed did his? but have it bolted directly to the hatch and maybe get a license plate housing like my jeep has?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.