License Plate Light Failure

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
So I needed to relocate my license plate again with my rear bumper setup. Did it previously by using an old LED bulb base and threading the wires though holes then plugging it in stock socket. This time I do same and it worked at first, then it would work til I out cover back on, then I tried to rear thread wires and get bettter connection. Whole time the other side bulb and the taillights are working. Then I plug it in again and no LH taillight and no other bulb working on the plate lights. So I figure fuse...check it. Fuse is good, but swap it with RH one to be sure and yep...fuses are both good. Look at socket I had been working with and seems good.

I will check wiring to hatch after research, but the hatch never moved as it was closed the whole time I was jacking with lights.

Any other things to check out? I really am hoping to avoid taking apart the rear hatch.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Check that the stock sockets are still good. On my '02, I had to replace both as the contacts inside had turned to green dust.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
If the pass side socket is bad, does it feed the dr side and dr taillight?

I had to kinda force the socket w wires so i may have busted it.

To replace socket, did you have to take anything apart or will they pull out far enough to mess with?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I just cut the wires and spliced the new one in. IIRC, both are on the same circuit on top of the license pocket. Not sure how they're wired into the rest of the harness. It could very well be at the left side. Schematics should show that.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
I suck at schematics. Did you pull pocket to fix? I am not sure I have anything to reinstall...I had some putty but not sure its still good.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I did it just by pulling the panel. The sockets twist out like other park lights with 194 bulbs.

Yeah, schematics show that the plate lights are connected to the left park lights fuse at the fuse box.

Attachments

• Rear park lights.pdf
    129.3 KB · Views: 3

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Seeing the schematic and pulling off thehatch cover. I see both plugs look a bit brown, but nothing burnt burnt and it appears the taillight should work even if the plate bulbs are simply cut off. I do not know why the taillight is not working with a good fuse. I will start chasing wires...which I despise!

SOOOOOO

i was working off an old voy of trail post and the fuses they said were good. I googled more and found SS site had 2 different fuses to check...Boom 12 was burnt. I got it swapped and hard wired my led light bar for relocated plate. Had to stop to feed kids lunch but will see if that was it in a bit.

Thanks for helping Moose!

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher