License Plate Bulb Replacement

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
Hi everyone

Today I decided to swap out my license plate bulbs with LEDs

It started out great but went wayyyy off track, but left me with enough experience to write this up :quiverlips:

So there are two screws that must be removed for each license bulb holder

WP_20160616_13_59_37_Pro_LI (2).jpg

The bulb you're looking for is W5W LED bulb

WP_20160616_13_59_11_Pro_LI (2).jpg

WP_20160616_13_59_22_Pro_LI (2).jpg

My problem was that after I removed the two screws the socket would not budge. I ended up taking off the whole rear access panels to get to the bulb. This was also a dead end.

Listen closely :

YOU HAVE TO PRY THE BULB COVER WITH YOUR FINGER NAIL FROM THE SIDE AND IT WILL POP OFF

I spent an hour trying to figure that out :rant:

The light comparasion is belowWP_20160616_14_45_06_Pro_LI (2).jpg

Sadly the other bulb for me was out so have to get it replaced from the shop but thats about it :thumbsup:

Attachments

• WP_20160616_13_59_41_Pro_LI (2).jpg
    WP_20160616_13_59_41_Pro_LI (2).jpg
    68 KB · Views: 6

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I used a screwdriver to pry and it popped off. Total time to switch to LED...2 minutes maybe. Sucks you had issues getting it done, but the LED are a nice improvement

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
Yep. I was like about to give up. Then opened the service manual and it showed the guys finger prying it from the side. I felt like kicking myself. Anyways I got the replacements from the shop and installed them in under 2 Minutes :2thumbsup: . Will get some pics when it turns dark outside

DrData

Nov 8, 2014
Thanks for sharing your bulb replacement experience, I found it to be very helpful.
I too am trying to replace my license plate bulbs but am stuck with rusted mounting screws that won't break loose! (2008 GMC Yukon Denali AWD). I've applied rust penetrant to the screws twice now but still no release. Squirt-squirt-tap-tap-still stuck. We live in northern winter weather where salt is used and the corrosion can be serious. Would like to complete this "simple" bulb change-out but not too interested in pursuing any complicated drill-out!
If anyone has any tips on breaking these loose I would appreciated hearing it.
Thanks in advance.

Reactions: $ Khalid ! 9130

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You might have to go by the back way to the bulbs by removing the whole license plate/handle pocket so a bit of a PITA. The bulb holders twist out just like the front side markers. Or you could drill the screw head off, remove the lens and use vice grips to unscrew what's left. Replace the screws with the stainless steel type.

smt 59

I just changed mine and as HT mentioned it took all of about 2 minutes, the screws seem to screw into plastic or nylon so I'm not sure why you can't get them out, I to live in a snow belt with more salt on the roads than should be. The head of the screw was somewhat rusty but came out with no effort.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
This kind of just happened to me on my Daily Driver Malibu the other day. No screws are holding the license plate lights/socket onto the bumper. It's actually a quick release tab style that you have to stick a screwdriver in and feel like you're breaking the bumper to pop it off.

This also happened with my overhead console. It has 2 map lights in it that i wanted to change to LED. It took me like 30 minutes to figure out how to get into there. Looked at the manual. Looked online... nothing... Tried prying it in sections as i could see tabs in certain areas... nope... finally, i just tugged really hard and POP, a clip came undone and i could see how to do it. It's like removing our grilles. You think you're breaking it, but it's just a nice hard tug and big popping sound but all is ok...

$ Khalid ! 9130

Original poster
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
On a completely unrelated note, I like the way way the print is done on your license plate. No idea why. Lol

Thanks. Although I am planning to change to a long rectangular plate soon :2thumbsup:

On a side note one of the bulbs I put in won't light up. I guess it's an issue with the connectors at the back. Need to think about something to do about it :Banghead:

Reactions: Redbeard

rizzo20

I just changed mine yesterday and installed LEDs. One of the bulbs was stuck in the socket, tried using rubber gloves, pliers over rubber gloves, pliers....POP! lol I shattered with pliers then used a mini screw driver "pick" and pulled the shards out. I added a very very small amount of dielectric grease to the LED bulbs before I popped them in.

I bought a 10 pack of bulbs, put 1 in each side mirror turn signal, two in license plate holder, 2 in front map/dome lights and 2 in the rear seat dome/map lights. I have two left over for spares :smile:

Also, I agree, that license plate is awesome. Wish I could get a white & black plate here.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online