LH6 AFM Delete Via HPT?

02 WS6 TA

Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
Without boring all of you with the details, I'm trying to disable AFM via HP Tuners. I'm well versed in the use of it, having been tuning for over 8 years with it. Recently, we picked up the '06 5.3L Denali, and I'm getting an unable to locate VCM error. To verify, I attempted to read a 2009 Silverado, and also got the same problem. Is there something I'm missing when trying to communicate with an E38/40 PCM? I have exhausted all William's (@ HPT) suggestions, and still no bueno. Has anyone encountered such? If so, what did you find to be the issue? Just to be clear, I have tried all the obvious things... I have a difficult time thinking I have a hardware issue, but if not that, what? I hate to send the cable back for service and end up in the same situation after. TIA!

02 WS6 TA

Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
Mods, I'm an idiot... This should have been placed under V8 discussion- Can someone please move? Thanks!

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
02 WS6 TA said:
Mods, I'm an idiot... This should have been placed under V8 discussion- Can someone please move? Thanks!
Moved. I don't have any input on using HPT, hopefully someone who has an idea of where to look in there, will see your thread shortly.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
the only time i've seen one not read, was due to an ECM issue (car drove fine, just wouldn't read the tune). obviously, having two fail pretty much negates that.

I'd see if HPT tech support has a way of getting diagnostic data if it were me

02 WS6 TA

Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
Well, HPT was kind enough to offer a "repair" for my cable for $65 + Shipping each way. When I asked if they felt sure the issue was in my hardware/cable, he replied " I really have no idea". I have a little problem throwing close to $100 and 2 weeks downtime at it with that less than reassuring diagnosis. If they don't know, who the &^!@ does?

Dan_G

Oct 23, 2014
I'm new to Envoys and just got an 06 Denali with the 5.3 with 122K miles. I'm in the process of disabling AFM via HPTuners. Still trying to figure out how much oil it consumes ... I know it's using some oil so AMF is getting disabled.

I happen to have HPTuners but have no tuning experience. I have not yet hooked it up to the truck. I'll have to figure out how to dump the contents of the PCM since I have never done this. I just used HPTuners for another car for some diagnostic work. In any event, I just want to mention that "p c m o f n c . c o m" will do the edits for you for $25. I have no experience with them, but this is what I'm doing. They have done this mod before so they know exactly what to change. Once I dump the contents of the PCM, I'll just email it to them and they will send the back the modified file. Heck for $25, no sense for me trying to figure it out. Just putting that out there.

Good luck

02 WS6 TA

Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
For what it's worth, there is an issue with my cable, as it will not read Gen IV LS applications. I'm going to have to break down and send it to them to be repaired (which I'm highly pissed about) but that clearly is the issue. Were it only the Envoy I'm having trouble with I might say forget it, but I'm going to need the editing ability for my LSx swapped S10 which is using 2007 running gear, as well as anything else to come along newer than 2006.

Dan_G

Oct 23, 2014
Here is an update. HPTuners would not read the original PCM in my 06 Denali. I did finally get a read entire done - but the checksum was invalid. Sent the file to HPTuners support. William says that the PCM "operating system" has been modified in a very strange way. So I'm was out of luck, HPTuners (VCM Editor) cannot modify it or fix it and is not capable of generating a file this this kind of modification. Not sure how this happened. Makes no sense to me, the truck has no mods. How would someone even accomplish this ? But if HPTuners can't read it, you only have a few options.

In my case I ordered a replacement PCM from PCM of NC with AFM/Dod disabled. [SIZE=11pt]HPTuners VCM Scanner was able to connect to the new PCM and perform the crankshaft position sensor – CASE Learn procedure. So I’m now running the new PCM and the truck is happy and AFM is disabled. In the last few months I have driven 1000 miles and checked the oil regularly. It looks like oil usage is minimal. I can pretty much estimate that I will not need to add oil between oil changes.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]I can’t say how much disabling AFM would factor in to oil usage. I’ll probably never know since it's not likely I will ever re-enable AFM. [/SIZE]

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Dan, glad you finally got a solution. I would still keep an eye on the oil usage for awhile before I was comfortable calling it "fixed" or not a problem. I had one oil change interval where I added only a couple of quarts and one where I added six.

Dan_G

Oct 23, 2014
I would still keep an eye on the oil usage for awhile before I was comfortable calling it "fixed" or not a problem
Yep, I have that 2nd trip meter set for the oil change interval. I'll check the oil regularly. I don't want the thing to run low on oil and I still don't know how much oil it really uses under all conditions.

Reactions: C-ya

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
If you hear it tapping from both sides of the engine, it's low on oil! I was driving to a meeting one evening and heard some tapping at a red light. I thought that the car next to me had some issues. Take off, get where I'm going, hear that noise and immediately became concerned. Popped the hood, looked around, listened, and headed in to the meeting. Get out, check the level, not even on the stick! Eased over to a nearby Auto Zone and grabbed 2 qts of oil. Nope. Back inside to grab 2 more. Four qts low! I check it a lot more frequently now.

Dan_G

Oct 23, 2014
Dan, glad you finally got a solution. I would still keep an eye on the oil usage for awhile before I was comfortable calling it "fixed" or not a problem.
Yep, I just added some oil. It was down about 3/4 quart - after about 1500 miles. It was fine for the first thousand miles, all of the sudden it's kinda low. I'm not sure where the oil is going. It's running fine. Just have to watch this engine.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhenninger

Members Online