LED Mod Thread

Aarkon

Nov 6, 2013
I meant green with white stripe I wonder what would be the best one to use I may try it later this weekend

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Nope, we lost the widget functionality with the changeover :frown:

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Blckshdw said:
Nope, we lost the widget functionality with the changeover :frown:
that's too bad. It was a nice feature as well. I do love the new site tho it looks good! They working on getting it back maybe?

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I looked into it briefly, since I used that feature quite a bit, it doesn't appear the new platform supports it like the old one did.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
The description doesn't match the title lol one says 15smd and description is for the 48smd panels

Ill prob get the 6x ones since I can make sure those will fit.

kind of a silly question, but 15smd 5050 vs 48smd 3528...which would be brighter? For a trunk area? I have 12smd 5050 in the truck of the envoy and they are very bright lights and light up the whole trunk as well

Dec 13, 2013
Osceola,Ia
Lol I didn't even notice the description was diff..

Those panels in my truck,

The 5050's are deff bright.. I have 2 panels wired together in my cargo area, 2 panels above rear doors, and 1 panel above each side for 3rd row.. When they come on at night its like daylight lol

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Based upon a little reading I just did, it looks like 5050's are about 2-2.5 times brighter than 3528's. So 15 5050's would be about the same as 30-ish 3528's.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
So both panels are just about the same. Every 3 3528 is about one 5050. I have a 5050 panel and they are very bright

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Mounce said:
Based upon a little reading I just did, it looks like 5050's are about 2-2.5 times brighter than 3528's. So 15 5050's would be about the same as 30-ish 3528's.
After doing some searching on EBay, I seen there are sellers who now have 5630 SMD chips. Claim they are 2-3 time brighter than the 5050s. Anyone ever bought the 5630s?

I just bought some 3157s and 194s for my turn signals that are the 5630s. We shall see if they are brighter. I also think the seller mentioned the 5630 SMDs are produced by Samsung.

I am also thinking about upgrading to the small panels for the interior lights as well. Just need to figure out what is the best size that fits under the cover.

kjkim93

Jan 1, 2012
dmanns67 said:
After doing some searching on EBay, I seen there are sellers who now have 5630 SMD chips. Claim they are 2-3 time brighter than the 5050s. Anyone ever bought the 5630s?

I just bought some 3157s and 194s for my turn signals that are the 5630s. We shall see if they are brighter. I also think the seller mentioned the 5630 SMDs are produced by Samsung.

I am also thinking about upgrading to the small panels for the interior lights as well. Just need to figure out what is the best size that fits under the cover.
I have those as my switchbacks

Reactions: dmanns67

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
dmanns67 said:

Curious to see how those 5630's work out. :yes:

As for fitment under the dome light panels, you can always pull the reflector bowls out, that will give you more space to work with. That's what I ended up doing for my panels (cuz I was greedy) and stuck them in place with a dab or two of silicone. Holds them well, and when I've had to take them out, a decent tug popped them loose. :thumbsup:

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Blckshdw said:
Curious to see how those 5630's work out. :yes:

As for fitment under the dome light panels, you can always pull the reflector bowls out, that will give you more space to work with. That's what I ended up doing for my panels (cuz I was greedy) and stuck them in place with a dab or two of silicone. Holds them well, and when I've had to take them out, a decent tug popped them loose. :thumbsup:
I think my switchbacks are 3528s. I will have to take a comparison pic of those and the 5630s.

That is a good idea to take out the reflector bowls. More space and with the panels, you would not need the bowls anyways.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
I would never believe any Ebay description saying something is made by a big name brand unless the price matched. (was more expensive) but I, too, saw stuff about them during my 5 minute research. They don't have as much surface area as 5050's but are still brighter. Definitely tell us how they perform!

May 27, 2014
Just wanted to say thanks for all the help on getting my window control LEDs working.....finally got everything working and looking good.....or at least it looks good to me. Now wondering what my next mod should be. I would love to install some lights on my running boards.....is there a thread about that mod? (I searched but didn't find anything)

Reactions: Aarkon and jstrut

jstrut

Jul 31, 2013
So I just received this little gem from the vendor we get all our led stuff from at my work. Its a form of strip light but instead of being in a clear silicone casing, its in a white casing that eliminates "hot spots" in the strip itself. Very cool product. My dilemma is where to put it. Its about 48" long, VERY bright and will fit in the rigid plastic track that I have. If I had two I'd already have them on my running boards but as I only have one I'm unsure about that. My other thought was under the lift gate but at some point I think I want to get one of those LED brake light strips that fit there. Any ideas would be appreciated, I'm looking for something outside the box and feel like I'm missing an obvious place. Thanks guys!
ResizedImage_1402447779070.jpg
ResizedImage_1402447779811.jpg

Aarkon

Nov 6, 2013
ncphotographer said:
Just wanted to say thanks for all the help on getting my window control LEDs working.....finally got everything working and looking good.....or at least it looks good to me. Now wondering what my next mod should be. I would love to install some lights on my running boards.....is there a thread about that mod? (I searched but didn't find anything)
I know ive seen them around here before maybe even in this thread but you should also scope out off road tb im sure people on there have done that before

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
ncphotographer said:
I don't think anyone has done the running board or rocker panel mod on this site (yet), but some have done it on Trailvoy. it's basically the same process as lighting up your scuff plates like I did, or adding footwell lights like many others have done. You have to figure out when you want the lights to come on, and then wire them up to the appropriate power sources to follow that behavior. You already have a good enough understanding of wiring from your previous mod, so you shouldn't have too much difficulty there. :thumbsup:

jstrut said:
So I just received this little gem from the vendor we get all our led stuff from at my work. Its a form of strip light but instead of being in a clear silicone casing, its in a white casing that eliminates "hot spots" in the strip itself. Very cool product. My dilemma is where to put it. Its about 48" long, VERY bright and will fit in the rigid plastic track that I have. If I had two I'd already have them on my running boards but as I only have one I'm unsure about that. My other thought was under the lift gate but at some point I think I want to get one of those LED brake light strips that fit there. Any ideas would be appreciated, I'm looking for something outside the box and feel like I'm missing an obvious place. Thanks guys!
I saw a bunch of guys on HIDPlanet using strips like that. Very bright, that's for sure. I think the ideas you have would work. If you didn't have lights in your grille already, I would suggest there. Or maybe put the strip there around the grille and move the other LEDs elsewhere?

Reactions: jstrut

jstrut

Jul 31, 2013
I think im going to with the lift gate idea and wire them in like my grill lights so they come just like the dome light do. I've been working out a way to do the running boards. The easy way would be to just place some strips on the upright part of the boards but that just spews light out horizontally and does nothing to light up the area around the vehicle. I have also been toying with the idea of some sort of lighting in the wheel wells, haven't seen that done yet and thought it would be a cool idea if you could do it right.

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
jstrut said:
I have also been toying with the idea of some sort of lighting in the wheel wells, haven't seen that done yet and thought it would be a cool idea if you could do it right.
I haven't seen lights applied to the wheel wells themselves, I assume because the beatings they would take from rocks and debris would probably damage them and require replacement at an annoyingly frequent rate, especially if it's your DD. I have seen LED strips applied to the edges of the backing plates.

Found this pic from a car show we had a mini meet at. A blue Celica had LED strips EVERYWHERE, including inside the wheels. Upon closer look, I saw they were mounted to the backing plate.

IMAG0335.jpg

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
DJones has running board LED strips. They actually are attached to his turn signals.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Hardtrailz has those. Surprisingly they have lasted 4 years of off roading and abuse.

Venomhatch

Aug 14, 2013
Shoot I may do this with my Chrome SS 20s I bet it look great on the back of the brake area shining out to the wheel. I just don't know what to use to secure them there. So much grime/dirt travels through that area they wouldn't just stick.

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I sent Kyle a PM, he needs to post some pics around here of those :yes:

Don, you could probably get away with some 3M double sided tape. Either get a strip of side emitting SMDs, or the older style like in the TXBlazer mirror inserts, and apply them on their side, to the back of the backing plate. As long as the surface is clean when you apply them, since there isn't much really putting a lot of force to pull them off, they will stay put.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I zip tied a pod inside wheel at one point. Its do able pretty easy. Next time the tires are off I can mount n try some pods

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
If rain stops I can flip em in n take real pics but may have to be tomorrow night

May 27, 2014
Hi all.....got a problem......I've put LEDs in my side mirror turn signal and all seems to work fine.....but when I put on my left turn signal and step on the brake pedal the light hyper flashes....it only does it when I press the break.....if I let off of the break pedal with the turn signal on it blinks normally.....any ideas?

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Swap parts from side to side (door modules, and side mirrors), until the problem switches sides as well, then you know what's got the problem.

Edit: Actually suspect the flasher module.

Reactions: ncphotographer
May 27, 2014
Thanks.......Is there a way to test the flasher module without getting a new one? Is the flasher module the same as a flasher relay? I changed the flasher relay a few months back.....I put in the one that is suppose to allow for LEDs.

Blckshdw

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
They are one in the same. Basically, you want to change parts of the circuit to rule out what the problem is. The only place that the left turn signal and brake signal have in common, that also affects the mirror turn signal is the flasher module/relay. If you still have your stock one, put that back in and test it. Your front and rear turns will hyper flash, but the mirrors should not.

If the driver's mirror still has the same issue, try swapping the door modules, the mirrors, or even put a regular bulb in and see what happens. If things don't work as expected, make changes to the system so you can determine what's at fault. Troubleshooting 101. :thumbsup:

Reactions: ncphotographer
May 27, 2014
OK I know I must sound like a real idiot but what do you mean by the "door modules".....and one thing I did test already was putting regular bulbs in.....and it doesn't do it with regular bulbs, it works correctly.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online