LED mod help

nolan004

Original poster
Mar 28, 2012
This is my first post on this forum so i'm not sure I have this thread in the correct place, but all well. I am currently working on switching my window switch lights and eventually my hvac controls to led. The problem I have is on my drivers door window switch, I replaced both incandescent bulbs with leds which work fine, but there is now a buzzing sound whenever the leds are on inside the switch box. Any ideas?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
How did you attach the LEDs to the board? Did you put the LED and resistor in the stock socket, or did you put one bulb under each switch? Can you provide us with any pics of your setup? That would go a long way to help troubleshooting.

nolan004

Original poster
Mar 28, 2012
Blckshdw said:
How did you attach the LEDs to the board? Did you put the LED and resistor in the stock socket, or did you put one bulb under each switch? Can you provide us with any pics of your setup? That would go a long way to help troubleshooting.

I only used two leds in the same socket that the incandescent bulbs were in. View attachment 19917
Not the best picture but that is one of them.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 12

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
If you take the door module, without the cover/switches and stuff on it, and plug it in, does it still buzz? If so, can you tell if the noise is coming from the LED/resistor (should not be possible), or somewhere else on the board?

Do you have any specs on the LEDs and resistors you used? Where did you get em from?

nolan004

Original poster
Mar 28, 2012
Blckshdw said:
If you take the door module, without the cover/switches and stuff on it, and plug it in, does it still buzz? If so, can you tell if the noise is coming from the LED/resistor (should not be possible), or somewhere else on the board?

Do you have any specs on the LEDs and resistors you used? Where did you get em from?

The LEDs and resistors are both from radio shack. 5mm white led 25mA @ 3.3v with 1/2W 470 ohm resistors. As far as testing just the box, I am not sure how so I will do some research on that and check it. It sounds like it is coming from the lower board underneath where I soldered in the LEDs.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Leave it open, like how you have it in your picture, plug it into the truck, and turn your headlight switch to parking lights. Then try to see if you can better tell where the noise is coming from. Only thing I can think of, is if you held the soldering iron to the contact pad a little too long and damaged something in the process, or had a slip and knocked something loose maybe? :confused:

nolan004

Original poster
Mar 28, 2012
Potentially could have damaged the circuit board. I grinded one of the LEDs while it was attached and the filings went onto the board. I cleaned it as best I could. The wires for the resistor hang down fairly low maybe they are contacting the bottom board?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Trimming and insulating your electrical leads would be a very very good idea

nolan004

Original poster
Mar 28, 2012
What is the best way to insulate the leads? I'll try that either tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for the help btw

ghenny440

Dec 14, 2011
I use liquid electrical tape alot on small applocations it may be useful to you, they shoukd have it at homedepot i get mine from menards

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Electrical tape is cheapest and most common, sometimes I use "liquid tape" just like Glenn suggested

ghenny440

Dec 14, 2011
Blckshdw said:
Electrical tape is cheapest and most common, sometimes I use "liquid tape" just like Glenn suggested

Damnit carlton theres only 1 "N" in my name, geez ya think ya know someone and they go mispellin your name:biggrin:lmfao

ghenny440

Dec 14, 2011
I use the liquid when im installin in tight spaces like for alarms and remote starts, on some hondas its kinda tight for the door lock wires

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
ghenny440 said:
Damnit carlton theres only 1 "N" in my name, geez ya think ya know someone and they go mispellin your name:biggrin:lmfao

:laugh: My bad man! See, that's what happens when you go M.I.A. for months. :nono:

I like the liquid tape for those little jobs as well, where a regular piece of tape either won't be easy to apply, or whatever I'm working on has an odd shape. It's also good for making a good seal on things exposed to moisture :thumbsup:

ghenny440

Dec 14, 2011
Blckshdw said:
:laugh: My bad man! See, that's what happens when you go M.I.A. for months. :nono

ouch! Lmfao i know dude juans been harrassin me to download tapatalk and get on here on my phone and laptop, he said the "site we dont mention its name" is a buncha rookes giving wrong info so i learked over there for a bit had a few arguments with youngins that i have been installing longer than they have been living so i just dipped lmfao couldnt take it so i did what i said i wouldnt do and PAID :eek:for an app

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
ghenny440 said:
ouch! Lmfao i know dude juans been harrassin me to download tapatalk and get on here on my phone and laptop, he said the "site we dont mention its name" is a buncha rookes giving wrong info so i learked over there for a bit had a few arguments with youngins that i have been installing longer than they have been living so i just dipped lmfao couldnt take it so i did what i said i wouldnt do and PAID :eek:for an app

glad you took my advice :crackup::rotfl:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online