led low beam headlight replacement for 2004 Trailblazer

weedhopper

Original poster
Jul 1, 2019
Hamilton,Oh.45011
Hi All, new member. I have been searching web for replacement led headlights that will also work for daytime driving lights. I have always used factory replacements and would like to upgrade to better lighting with minimul butchery in the headlight housing. If I could find a decent replacement I would like to replace the high beams also. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:tiphat: Welcome aboard!

Due to the 70% PWM signal that operates the DRL feature on our platform, it's not recommended to run LED or HIDs in the low beams without either performing the DRL capacitor mod, to make them run at 100% duty cycle, or install a DRL killer to permanently kill that function. Otherwise, the ballasts/drivers will prematurely fail on you.

If you don't want to modify wiring, or add multiple components, you could always change to HIR bulbs. 9011 for the high beams, 9012 for low beams. These would be mostly plug and play, you may possibly need to sand down one of the tabs, then it would lock in like the stock bulbs do. :twocents:

weedhopper

Original poster
Jul 1, 2019
Hamilton,Oh.45011
:tiphat: Welcome aboard!

Due to the 70% PWM signal that operates the DRL feature on our platform, it's not recommended to run LED or HIDs in the low beams without either performing the DRL capacitor mod, to make them run at 100% duty cycle, or install a DRL killer to permanently kill that function. Otherwise, the ballasts/drivers will prematurely fail on you.

If you don't want to modify wiring, or add multiple components, you could always change to HIR bulbs. 9011 for the high beams, 9012 for low beams. These would be mostly plug and play, you may possibly need to sand down one of the tabs, then it would lock in like the stock bulbs do. :twocents:

Thanks for the reply Blckshdw, I really like the drl function. I believe anything you can do to draw attention to oncoming Distracted Drivers is a big plus. I really hate to turn this function off. Will I see much inprovement to change to HID bulbs and still have the drl? Thanks,again.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I liked my HID better than LED. You can make your DRL 100% and be good with whatever bulbs. I did it on mine a decade ago n still working fine and my bulbs never burn out before i get bored and swap them.

Reactions: TollKeeper

weedhopper

Original poster
Jul 1, 2019
Hamilton,Oh.45011
I liked my HID better than LED. You can make your DRL 100% and be good with whatever bulbs. I did it on mine a decade ago n still working fine and my bulbs never burn out before i get bored and swap them.
Thanks HARDTRAILZ. I am open to HID but would need to know what you used to keep the DRL in place. Do you have any recommendations on HID brands with a possible p/n. Thanks.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I used VVME i think. I have had them for years.

"At the BCM under the back seat, locate the PINK-WHITE STRIPE wire in the harness that goes under the carpet (be sure you are not on the Red-White stripe wire). Cut the insulation on that wire and push it back to get to the conductor, not necessary to cut the wire. Place a 10 uFd/25V electyrolytic capacitor + to the wire, - to ground. This will make the 70% PWM signal used for DRL mode a full-ON signal and will turn on the lights fully. "

Reactions: Blckshdw

weedhopper

Original poster
Jul 1, 2019
Hamilton,Oh.45011
Thanks HARDTRAILZ, I appreciate the detailed instructions. Quite a few wires in that junction/fuse box. I think I will stay between 4000-6000k to lessen the bluish tint effect. Thanks to everyone on this site for all the replys. I would have had short lived lighting inprovement without the cap. mod.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online