Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL

smitty5150

Nov 18, 2011
Depending on the year, cavaliers either used 9006 low beam bulbs or 9007 lo/hi. Either way you can reuse his ballasts. Parking lights are 3757. Find a compqtible set in switchback and you're set. You will need resistors to prevent hyperflash.

Reactions: SnowBlazer

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
You will never find a LED switchback base in a 3757. When converting the main turn signals to LED, you will need a 3157 base.

Like Smitty said, you will need two 6ohm 50w resistors for each main front turn signal.

Reactions: Blazin'05LT

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
So on the LED headlight topic....

For HIGH beams: do I use HID like the lows or LED? I have all the goods associated with the HID change over already so cost seems to be $25 for HID or $110 for LED.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
In the high beams...did they work well?

SnowBlazer

Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
If I must add another question for Garth...

Didn't you order switchbacks a while ago for your Stang? How'd those work out? If they did well can you please link them? There's so many different styles that I don't know what to choose from.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
HARDTRAILZ said:
In the high beams...did they work well?
I'm sure they'd work fine in conjunction with 4/6-hi mod. I don't have HIDs in the TB, it's moms car and stock besides LEDs inside and in the tag lights.
SnowBlazer said:
If I must add another question for Garth...

Didn't you order switchbacks a while ago for your Stang? How'd those work out? If they did well can you please link them? There's so many different styles that I don't know what to choose from.
Yeah, they worked fine until one started flickering (unknown if it was from water intrusion or general LED failure which is common) and I replaced them with some crazy bright amber LEDs.

Here's some bright ones like I had, but cheaper.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=191579593533&alt=web

AW flash pattern though instead of AO. Search Ebay for "3157 5630 switchback" and pick one out that you like.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I got 4 mod. Really hoped for experience w high beam modding to be shared.

DFWWIZ

Dec 5, 2011
I'm doing a 5th group buy right now for these (140 sets sold since Feb) I need to get a few more in to help me out with reaching the 21 Kgs shipping break. I'm paying for most ($1100) of this GB myself to have sets on hand. I'm doing a truck show tomorrow night locally that had 300 trucks show up last month so hopefully I will pull a few from that, then I can wrap this one up by weekend.
Phillips Luxeon 9000 lumen 5000K LED sets for $110 (priority mail shipping incl)
paypal: kdhwiz@aol.com

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
dmanns67 said:
What else is there besides the 4/6 hi mod for hi beams? Projector retro? HIDs? LEDs?
Hid or led was my question on highs but no one with actual experience responded yet.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
The only issues with hid highs I see is warm up time and longevity if you use flash to pass a few times. Led would be much more forgiving in that sense.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
With the 4/6 hi mod, HIDs in the hi beams would be ok. Your only downside is going to be the 10 seconds of warmup time until full brightness.

The benefit I see with my LED hi beams is that they are instant on to full brightness and I can flash them without worrying about damaging a ballast or wearing out the electrodes in the HID bulb. Plus the lifespan of the LEDs are thousands of hours more than a HID bulb, but that is not a major concern since they are in the hi beams.

The beam pattern is better with HIDs in the hi beam reflector versus LEDs due to the design. You only have LED chips on each side of the post and do not get 360° of light like with a HID. Before doing the 6 hi mod, I noticed there were areas of the road not lit up due to the beam pattern of the LED headlight.

There are pros and cons to each, but without the 4/6 hi mod, I personally would not run HIDs in the hi beams.

Reactions: Blckshdw

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I have the HID highs en route and have the quad beam mod. If I want to flash someone I have the LED bar that should get their attention pretty good. I just tend not to flash anyone unless truly needed and that it not often. I really do not use the high beams alot but the fake hid halogens I have had for years seem to be looking green and I figure for $25 I will try the HID and if I notice negatives, i can try LED in the future.

I just really thought more members may have tried different bright set-ups.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online