LED fog lights - wire in with factory lights?

Chickenhawk

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
I have the factory fogs and want to improve on them with a pair of PIAA 530 fog lights mounted on my safari bar. They draw 3 watts each.

At this low draw, it seems like it would be easiest to just splice them in to the factory wiring and use the existing switch for factory and PIAAs. I would have no need to have one set on and not the other. What are the issues I may be dealing with here? I can't see the wiring, switch or BCM not being able to deal with a miniscule 6 extra watts, on what is already 54 watts of bulbs.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Sounds like it should work out fine! Although, I don't know of the sensitivity of the electronics but I'm pretty sure the computer doesn't see anything past the relay. Also, some guys have put in the 893 bulbs in place of the 880's and the 893's draw more than the 880's.

Chickenhawk

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
While I can always use a relay, harness and switch like traditional fogs, I am wondering if I can avoid all that by using the existing switch and splicing in the power from the existing fogs for these LED lights that only draw 3 watts.

I am trying to avoid adding a new switch, especially when there will never be a need for only one set of fogs on and not the other.

(Fogs are useful up here in winter during driving snowstorms.)

I will start by switching to 893s, but there is such a volume of WRONG and BAD information about fog lights out there. They sell them in bright white colours to match HIDs, which is exactly the opposite of what you are trying to achieve with fog lights. They are also advertised as brighter to light up road signs. This makes me very sad because it means some douche buys fog lights to look good and have on all the time.

If fog lights are lighting up road signs, they are aimed WAY too high. They provide a very short and wide beam for heavy fog and blowing snow conditions. They should not be used as douche lights.

Last edited:

Harpo

Dec 4, 2011
Sweden
I agree with that.
Actually I don't think you can call the "foglights" on a TB foglights at all if you look at the lightpattern they put out.
A foglight should have a very sharp cutoffline up and down and a very wide band of light. The best effect is also a really yellow light that works best in fog and snowdrift.

I don't think you will have any problems to wire them as you planning.

Envoy_04

Jul 1, 2013
Wiring as planned should work fine, only downfall is they'll only be able to be on when the lows and fog lights are on unless you have the diode or pin swap mod to get 6-hi lights (diode mod is way better IMO).

Ive run 893s in Mom's Envoy for a while now and they don't melt housings on fog lights, and if adjusted properly provide better light than 880s wide and low where you need it - without being a douche.

Reactions: Mounce

Chickenhawk

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Thanks Envoy! I am thinking that 893s can be bought as high as 100 watts and it is those ones melting the housings. (That, or the people run them as douche lights - on all the time.)

I just may try the 38 watt 893s before I spend $300 on the PIAAs. My safari bar can stay a bit empty looking for a while if I get the pattern and brightness I want with the factory housings.

Envoy_04

Jul 1, 2013
They won't be bright like aftermarket lights, but will definitely be better than stock 880s. I used Silverstar 893s in Mom's Envoy. I read back when I was doing the research on this that around 55 watts the fog housings tend to melt, I'd definitely stick with the 38 watt version.

Chickenhawk

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Sorry to revive this thread, but I ordered the PIAA LP530 fog lights for my safari bar and will wire them direct to the existing fog light wiring.

I will let you know how well they work.

Last year, I improved my fogs a lot by using the 893 bulbs and adjusting them a tiny bit higher. They work well in blowing snow. But I want more, so I am adding the LED fogs too. When I hit the factory switch, all four fogs will light up (only on low beam.)

I do not want to wire them to the low beams because they are not running lights, nor are they driving lights. Running with fogs on at night in good weather actually REDUCES your night vision and your ability to spot obstacles at a greater distance. They are made for BAD WEATHER, and creeping slowly through fog, rain or snow. If the weather is good, all that light shining almost directly in front of the hood will harm your night vision. If you aim them higher to use as douche lights (running lights) then you defeat the purpose of fog lights.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Douche lights... lol that's fitting.

IMO don't apologize for reviving the thread since it is your thread in the first place anyway.

Reactions: Blckshdw

Chickenhawk

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Here are the PIAA LED 530 fog lights mounted on my safari bar. I wired them directly into the wiring for the factory fogs, as they total 6 watts per side so should not put any more strain on the wiring.

I did this so that all four fogs come on with the factory switch, and only come on in low beam They are particularly useful for driving in blowing snow and that's where I really wanted the low angle and sharp cutoffs to not put any more glare into my eyes. I have driven on the highway some days where the blowing snow is so bad, I wanted to turn the headlights off and creep with the running lights for better visibility. As this is Canada, we have no means to turn our headlights off (the headlight OFF switch is completely disabled) so I want lots of light directly in front of my car.

I also do NOT run with fogs on in the city (douche lights) nor do I use them during good conditions at night. While it is tempting to think they would help spot deer in the ditch, in actual fact they reduce your night vision. (Plus, properly aimed, if you saw a deer in your fogs, it is already too late!)

PIAA LED fogs.jpg

Reactions: smt 59 and Matt

Chickenhawk

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
I am in Manitoba. The safari bar and fog lights were purchased from a retailer in Winnipeg. The cost was higher than i would have paid on Amazon, but those folks have always been fair to me. We have a relationship; I don't begrudge that they need to make more profit than places like Amazon, and they usually give me fair prices and never ask for a deposit up front. By the time I paid for exchange and shipping from Amazon or places like that, I would have saved only $20 or so. I prefer to deal locally when i can (and provided they do their best on the pricing.)

Plus, one of the biggest reasons I shop there was because i was in the middle of researching nitrogen-filled tires as the biggest consumer scam of the decade. I noticed they were one of the very few big tire dealers who did NOT use nitrogen. When I asked them why (without revealing I already knew that it was a scam) they told me flat out that they would never sell it as it was a scam. They admitted it was hard to compete with the chain store down the road who offers "free" nitrogen, but they told me, "Nothing is free."

"Plus," they added, " ... some garages LOVE to see those lime green valve caps. They use them as a sign that they can sell that sucker ANYTHING."

I like to support honest, hard-working local folks.

Last edited:
Reactions: smt 59 and Blckshdw

smt 59

So we are close neighbors, thanks for the info I am looking to upgrade to LEDS and I'm liking the look of the bar, as for the nitrogen filled tires I agree just another BS scam, my Equinox came with it and after the first winter I changed over to the conventional method of pumping up the tires and got rid of the green caps and replaced with chrome. Now if I could get rid of the tire pressure monitor. Your ride looks good.

Reactions: Chickenhawk

Chickenhawk

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
I deal with a place called Canadian Supershops on Portage Avenue in Winnipeg.

One thing to keep in mind about those PIAA LED lights (they come in both a fog and a driving light version) is that they are VERY expensive. I paid just over $300 Cdn for those two fogs. But the reason they are expensive is that they use two rear-facing LEDs in each housing, and this means all the money is in the design of the reflectors. I have never seen any cheap fog lights even approach that quality of light at even three times the wattage. Plus, they have the sharp cutoffs that fog lights need to prevent glare back in the driver's eyes. I thought my factory fogs were quite a bit brighter with the 893 bulbs until I hooked up the PIAAs. Wow.

And, by the way, if you ever take a road trip out west, I am always up for beers and chatting about cars. And if you are still in Richmond Hill, I will be appearing just down the road from you this spring at a trade show in the convention centre in Ajax Ontario near the end of April. I will be speaking about my two loves in life: cars and guns. (Strange combination, but the connection actually does make sense.)

In fact, I am so anal about safety, accuracy and getting things perfect that Samuel L. Jackson once (affectionately) called me a "mean ..." well - let's just say it is the same thing he called some snakes. And a plane.

Last edited:
Reactions: smt 59

05envoy

Sep 13, 2015
chickenhawk do you remember the brand of push bar you purchased ?

smt 59

I deal with a place called Canadian Supershops on Portage Avenue in Winnipeg.

One thing to keep in mind about those PIAA LED lights (they come in both a fog and a driving light version) is that they are VERY expensive. I paid just over $300 Cdn for those two fogs. But the reason they are expensive is that they use two rear-facing LEDs in each housing, and this means all the money is in the design of the reflectors. I have never seen any cheap fog lights even approach that quality of light at even three times the wattage. Plus, they have the sharp cutoffs that fog lights need to prevent glare back in the driver's eyes. I thought my factory fogs were quite a bit brighter with the 893 bulbs until I hooked up the PIAAs. Wow.

And, by the way, if you ever take a road trip out west, I am always up for beers and chatting about cars. And if you are still in Richmond Hill, I will be appearing just down the road from you this spring at a trade show in the convention centre in Ajax Ontario near the end of April. I will be speaking about my two loves in life: cars and guns. (Strange combination, but the connection actually does make sense.)

In fact, I am so anal about safety, accuracy and getting things perfect that Samuel L. Jackson once (affectionately) called me a "mean ..." well - let's just say it is the same thing he called some snakes. And a plane.
When your in town PM me and can meet, Ajax is not far away at all, thank you for the info talk soon.

Chickenhawk

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
chickenhawk do you remember the brand of push bar you purchased ?
My safari bar is Westin.

When your in town PM me and can meet, Ajax is not far away at all, thank you for the info talk soon.
Sounds good. Drop in to the trade show - all the latest in police technology, gadgets and vehicles; all in one place. Last year I was introduced by Cam Wooley, and I got to do an imitation of the look on his face as he watches the latest idiots on Canada's Worst Driver, and talk about how we differ in our response to a zombie invasion.

Reactions: smt 59

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online