LED Brake lights and turn signals

speedbird52

Original poster
Feb 28, 2019
Kelso, WA
Hey guys -

I'm a bit frustrated with my LED upgrades I've done on my 06 Trailblazer. I've done this several times before on various vehicles, so I decided to do the same to my rig. Here's my issue... I installed the ballasts just like any other vehicle I've done them on and the driver's side flashes fast, the passenger side flashes at the normal speed.

So, I did some poking around and found there is a flasher/lighting module that specifically addresses the LED bulbs. LM487 is the module I replace the stock one with. Works like a charm. Both sides including hazards flash at the correct speed. HOWEVER, when the taillights are illuminated when the headlights are on, the brake lights come on instead (the bright side of the bulb). Only thing that indicates I'm stopping is the third brake light.

Thinking this may have been a manufacturing failure, I warranty exchanged the module with a new one and at first seemed to work as needed. Headlights on, bulbs were dim and brake lights snapped the bright side as needed and the turn signals flashed as normal. I felt I nailed it on I went.

It wasn't even an hour later when I was told my brake lights are stuck on except the third brake lights.

So, what gives? What am I missing? Should I ballast all four corners AND replace the module? All four corners without a new module? What's the combination?

I appreciate any help on this annoying issue.

Cheers!

Patrick

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Iirc the module has a bit of problems. When I did mine I just soldered in load resistors on the rears. I used 4 though.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I'm a little thrown off by the mention of ballasts for 3157 bulbs. Can you share some details about the LEDs that you're using here? They shouldn't need drivers of any sort. Or did you mean load resistors?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Gotcha, well if one side is still hyperflashing, I would try swapping the resistors from side to side to see if maybe you got a bad one.

The LM487 is know to have some issues with the brake circuit. Typically, people would lose cruise control with LEDs in the tail lights. The few that didn't (I myself was one of the fortunate few) happened to have aftermarket LED tail light assemblies, that had built in load resistors in them. It could be possible that the combination of 4 load resistors plus the LED module is a bad combination, and it should be one method or the other. That's just a guess.

As @Matt posted, the LM486 is supposed to address this flaw. And yes, the numbering system seems backwards. :weird:

Reactions: Matt and Redbeard

Ilikemy3s

Dec 3, 2011
I appreciate everyone's help. As it turns out, the LM486 solved the issue WITHOUT any resistors. Works like a charm!

Thank you again!!

Cheers!
So you just installed the LEDs and the LM486 Module? Was there any other mods you needed to do? Mind I ask which 3157 LEDs you used ?

Reactions: Redbeard

speedbird52

Original poster
Feb 28, 2019
Kelso, WA
So you just installed the LEDs and the LM486 Module? Was there any other mods you needed to do? Mind I ask which 3157 LEDs you used ?
Just the LEDs and the LM486 module, yes. I purchased mine from VLEDS.com. Clockable, extremely bright, and a warranty. They also happen to be located north of where I live in Washington State. They build, sell, and test their products in Bellingham, WA.

Cheers!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online