Led 9006 head lights without modding

Zrafferty

Original poster
Apr 2, 2019
Lockport ny
I want to upgrade my headlights to LEDs but dont want to have to cut up my head lens.
Wondering what other have used and have decent success in lifespan of bulbs. I want at least a 2 year lifespan if possible. I seen the mini 9006 on Ebay but cant tell how decent quality is. I do want to retain dustcap as I just installed aftermarket lenses due to moisture buildup and dont want to replace them again .
Links if possible please thanks in advance

Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
I installed LED 9005 and 9006s (high and low) in my '02 Bravada. I was not able to retain the dust caps due to the heatsinks and cooling fans on the bulbs I used. The light pattern was ~ok~ but not impressive. My lows failed within 6 months since I didn't do a DRL mod to prevent them from getting PWM. The giveaway that I had issues was that people would get out of my way whenever I didn't have my headlights on - they were strobing under the stress of PWM and months of use(misuse).
I was able to install the bulbs without any modifications to the light housings - but again, I had to leave the dustcaps off due to the size of the heatsink & fan. The bulbs I used had adjustable collars to allow for "clocking" the bulb - sometimes necessary to get a good light pattern.
As for bulb recommendations - I got mine from "Wish" and I "wish" I hadn't. The output was fabulous but the heatsinks were noisy from day 1. I did Highs, Lows, and Fogs and I have the "6-Hi" mod. That was an immense amount of light! However, the fogs were "meh". In fact, they aren't focused any more.
The only piece of advice I can give is: don't cheap out on the bulbs and buy from somewhere reputable that will stand behind their product.
The bad news is that I don't think you'll find good, modern LED bulbs that don't have heatsinks. The good news is that the light output from the better offerings is off the charts.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I got a couple years out of my cheap led, but honestly the output sucked without proper projectors

FlyingFischer

Dec 4, 2011
Spokane, WA
If you want to keep the factory housing but want better lighting out of them then go with HID. I've tried cheap LEDs, Expensive LEDs as I work at a accessory shop and I keep going back to my HID's. They have the best output and pattern for the factory housings without blinding oncoming traffic. The factory housing are not designed for LED lights and you'll get a poor beam with them. I've never needed to use high beams when I run HID's because they work great in our housings.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Amazon had these on sale for $25.49 a pair on a daily special, about a month ago.
At that price, I got two sets of the 9006 low. Color brightness is 6000K 'white'

12mo warranty, but 73% of 1370 reviews were 5-star. So I took a chance
(and, yes, I know about scam reviews...like I said...I took a chance! LOL)

One set went into my blue Sierra, which has aftermarket projectors (-? at least I think they are). They're definitely brighter than the Sylvania halogens that were in there (one was burned out, besides.)

One of the mount points on the headlamp housing is broken on the passenger side, and I have to epoxy it back in place. (in case anyone asks for a pic)

As for the other set, I plan on putting it into the Envoy, now that I see they work well.

These have heatsinks; no fans.

Zrafferty

Original poster
Apr 2, 2019
Lockport ny
So I know better going with cheap LEDs as most dont have load resistors to exorb the heat transfer. May just look into hid. Was thinking of projections or halos but didnt want to spend double the price I found the smoke headlights for 75 plus got 20 dollar returned via faulty Chinese bulbs during to a dispute on ebay.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
You only need load resistors on LED turn signal bulbs to prevent hyperflash, or LED brake light bulbs to retain cruise control (if using an LED flasher module)

Zrafferty

Original poster
Apr 2, 2019
Lockport ny
I got a couple years out of my cheap led, but honestly the output sucked without proper projectors
Did you have the load resistor pack added or just LEDs installed. Were they just non heatsink or mini heatsink fan ones?

You only need load resistors on LED turn signal bulbs to prevent hyperflash, or LED brake light bulbs to retain cruise control (if using an LED flasher module)
Does automotive not use the resistor in series of circuit like how a computer or other electronic would?
I know if I have 4 led wires in series with a forward voltage of 3 per led it comes out to 12v forward. But still requires led incase voltage increases or decreases so basically acts as a buffer.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Does automotive not use the resistor in series of circuit like how a computer or other electronic would?
I know if I have 4 led wires in series with a forward voltage of 3 per led it comes out to 12v forward. But still requires led incase voltage increases or decreases so basically acts as a buffer.

If you're talking about individual LEDs, which are low powered, and building your own circuits then yeah... But your thread is about headlight LED bulbs...

Zrafferty

Original poster
Apr 2, 2019
Lockport ny
Ok just assumed it would go off same principle with the resistors since it used to maintain when voltage drops power then forward and reduce voltage when it increases

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
If you ever find 9006 LED bulbs that look like your regular filament bulbs, ignore them. Any LED bulb with your time/money will come with a driver of some sort, similar to how HIDs require a ballast. All of the circuitry and voltage regulation will be done by the driver, as the LED bulbs require much more than 12V to give you enough light output to be worth driving in the dark.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Did you have the load resistor pack added or just LEDs installed. Were they just non heatsink or mini heatsink fan ones?
Had no need for load resistor. Mini heatsink. I also have the DRL pink wire mod.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.