LED 3157 Fail

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
SuperBrightLEDs has these new 3157s that come in CK and non CK, and in amber, red and cool white. I was so excited when I found them, that means I don't have to re-wire my tail light circuit boards. Just plug em in and go! So I got two amber regular and four red cks.

Here are the links:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...on-27-smd-led-tower-wedge-retrofit/3557/7523/
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...on-27-smd-led-tower-wedge-retrofit/2620/5706/

Do not buy these! The low power mode of these bulbs is fine. They look great and compare well with incandescents.
The high power mode is terrible. It's only a tiny bit brighter than low power mode. Very little contrast between tail lights and brake lights, or blinker on and off on the front. It doesn't look good having subtle blinkers and it is of course not very safe.
I'm extra bummed because I talked to their chat tech support before ordering, and was assured that these lights would be totally bright enough.

These were $15 per bulb. They make a $25 bulb that is much brighter and should work well, but I really don't want to spend that much per bulb. Also those brighter ones don't come as CK, so I'd have to re-wire my rear boards for those. And they're tall and so they might not fit. All in all, I'm pretty bummed. I thought I was finally "finishing" the LED conversion project. My interior lights, and the four 194 exteriors look great. Oh well.

Reactions: Redbeard

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Don't fark around with bulbs, get them from DFWWIZ. IIRC $25 a pair with resistors, CK and non-CK. You can get him on FB as well under Kevin Hanson.

I screwed around with cheap bulbs for my front indicators, 3 or 4 pairs, until I finally cracked the shits, got hold of Kevin and got decent ones...they just work.

Last edited:
Reactions: djthumper

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
Thanks l008com,

Yesterday I was behind a car where there brake light was about the same intensity as their running light...now I know why. Appreciate the heads up on the learning curve with the LED bulbs.

redbeard

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
I've been dealing with struggles finding good 3157 LEDs since probably 2009, trying to get a good pair for my dads S10. It's almost always the same. I've only found one pair that I actually like, but of course they are non-ck and blew all my fuses when i tried to use them.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
:iagree:

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
@DFWWIZ is the go to for LEDs, he has ad GMT360 and supports us.
When I messaged him, he didn't have any red bulbs.

The Phillips bulbs are ck and non-ck compatible. Running a set of those in my brake lights. Not way brighter than stock but they work and are reliable
Got a link? I'm not sure what you are specifically referring to.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
The Phillips bulbs are ck and non-ck compatible. Running a set of those in my brake lights. Not way brighter than stock but they work and are reliable

Got a link? I'm not sure what you are specifically referring to.

They are distributed and sold by multiple online vendors, so I'm sure if you ran a quick search, you could do some comparisons and find the best deal available. You know the maker, and bulb type, so you have everything you need. :wink:

Reactions: $ Khalid ! 9130

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online

No members online now.