Leather Seats

Vicompc

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
What is the best way to care for Leather seats? I have some cracking and the finish is wearing thin in spots and I'm try to find out if there is a way to clean them up short of having them repaired.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Vicompc said:
What is the best way to care for Leather seats? I have some cracking and the finish is wearing thin in spots and I'm try to find out if there is a way to clean them up short of having them repaired.

Leather wears out at a certain point. You can condition it as you go from new to prolong them. Heavier people tend to wear it out at a faster clip as well. A new leather seat cushion costs very little and I wouldn't even consider repairing the leather. Heck you can get a nice full seat for very little off of ebay or locally.

07Blazerman

Dec 4, 2011
Check your phone book for an automotive upholstery place, alot of times they can just replace the sections that are worn, and they can also buildup and reshape the foam. I will warn you that the side panels by the controls will probably have to be replaced, once they come off they never stay on. I have an extra set for both sides just in case. As for products I use Detailed Image carries a product from Poorboy's World, it's their leather cleaner and conditioner. If you don't like it shiny you can use their Natural Look product but it doesn't condition the leather.:twocents:

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
07Blazerman said:
Check your phone book for an automotive upholstery place, alot of times they can just replace the sections that are worn, and they can also buildup and reshape the foam. I will warn you that the side panels by the controls will probably have to be replaced, once they come off they never stay on. I have an extra set for both sides just in case. As for products I use Detailed Image carries a product from Poorboy's World, it's their leather cleaner and conditioner. If you don't like it shiny you can use their Natural Look product but it doesn't condition the leather.:twocents:

Just go to any GM Parts site and see how cheap a replacement is...really not a big deal.

07Blazerman

Dec 4, 2011
Jkust said:
Just go to any GM Parts site and see how cheap a replacement is...really not a big deal.

A replacement for what? The wornout seat? Or the foam-I did order a new foam seat online and the shop that did my seats ended up having to use more foam as it wasn't enough. :twocents:

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
I was recommended a product called Lexol for leather. They have a cleaner and a conditioner and it has seemed to work great for me so far. It was recommended by a leather shop.

JRTAHOE

Nov 20, 2011
Adam's Polishes

[video=youtube_share;09bU83GgE_0]http://youtu.be/09bU83GgE_0[/video]

07Blazerman

Dec 4, 2011
07 TB RIDER said:
Adam's Polishes

[video=youtube_share;09bU83GgE_0]http://youtu.be/09bU83GgE_0[/video]

:goodpost: Very informative, I think I will look into their product as the matte finish is nice.

JRTAHOE

Nov 20, 2011
07Blazerman said:
:goodpost: Very informative, I think I will look into their product as the matte finish is nice.

They have good products. I have been very happy with every dealing with them. Their CS is awesome, their products are all made in America and they have a 110% guarantee. I like to creep on their forum so I can learn a little more about detailing. It's my secret hobby.

Adam's Polishes Forums

strat81

Dec 29, 2011
I use Dove moisturizing soap and water to clean my seats and Meguiar's Gold Class Leather Conditioner afterwards. The Conditioner also works well on my wife's purses and our leather La-z-boy couch.

303 Hi-Tech Fabric Guard can be used as a "scotch-gard" for leather too.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
07Blazerman said:
A replacement for what? The wornout seat? Or the foam-I did order a new foam seat online and the shop that did my seats ended up having to use more foam as it wasn't enough. :twocents:

The worn out seat. I knew a tech at a dealership at one time and they replaced the seat leather all the time when they were still under warranty. Was usually heavy people that had the premature wearing issues.

Ghoster

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 18, 2011

Attachments

• stay_on_topic_stay_on_topic_RE_The_off_topic_topic_post-s599x450-147644-580.jpg
    stay_on_topic_stay_on_topic_RE_The_off_topic_topic_post-s599x450-147644-580.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 5

IAFF78

Dec 29, 2011
Ive always used Lexol. Works best if you use it from the day you buy the car. Does work good on older leather too.

DetailedImage

Jan 19, 2012
I generally recommend the Leatherique Prestine Clean and Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil when you want to revive seats or even just maintain new ones. Older seats generally just require a bit more product but otherwise the process is the same. Check out this article which shows how to apply the Leatherique products and the outstanding results! If you have any questions please let me know!

Greg @ DetailedImage.com

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online