Leaky Schrader valve on AC System charging port

azswiss

Original poster
May 23, 2021
Tempe, AZ
AC in my 2003 Suburban has been less than stellar lately (a must have here in sunny Arizona in August!). Cooling has been marginal, at best, when using just the front system only. In order to get acceptably cool air I needed to turn the back system on as well.

Suspecting low refrigerant levels I connected up the old ELM327 and fired up Torque Pro, graphing AC Relay Status (0x221100, bit 2) and AC Hi Side Pressure (0x221144). Sure enough, Hi side pressure was dropping below the cutoff threshold and so the AC Relay was cycling on & off. Running the rear system in addition to the front increased the heat transfer load and increased the pressure just enough to keep the AC relay On.

Screenshot_2021-08-30-11-39-09.png

I removed the cap on the low-side/charging port, gave it a blast of air to remove any particles, and added refrigerant, keeping track of low- & hi-side and pressures. The system stabilized and all appeared to be in order.

777.jpeg

Congratulating myself (prematurely as it turns out), I disconnected the fitting from the low side port only to hear it start leaking, slowly, undeniably. Hoping I might be able to re-seat the valve I gently depressed the stem but no luck. The seal on the Schrader valve was not holding.

Rather than attempt to do an in-situ replacement of the valve stem I decided to let discretion get the better part of valor. Fortunately, the local Automotive AC shop was able to fit me in right-away and an hour later the AC was running better than it had been for quite some time. I ended up getting a standard service plus replacement of both the low- & hi-side port stems.

Here is a closeup of the bottom tip of the Schrader valve stem (note: tip width at the end of the valve is 1.5mm). Notice the deformation of the lower seal.

Valve_Stem.jpg

It is always the little things that nail you. In retrospect, it should not be surprising given that this part was likely original to the vehicle.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
FWIW... Amazon carries a Professional HVAC A/C Schrader Valve Core R&R Tool Kit for around $30.00 that allows you to Change out the Old Schrader Valves after touching up the New Ones up with some Blue NYLOG... and thread them in snugly without losing any excess R-134A. A Quick and Painless Procedure for High and Low Side Access Ports.

If the access to the Schrader is in a tight spot on the back side of the Accumulators of the GMT360s... just loosen the Insulated Holding Clamp and lift and rotate the body of the Accumulator into a more advantageous position to work on the issue with these Specialty Tools (an additional Brass Adapter will be needed to accommodate the Low Pressure Sensor Female Threads):

Attachments

• PROSCHRADERVALVEKIT1.jpg
    PROSCHRADERVALVEKIT1.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 1
  • PROSCHRADERVALVEKIT2.jpg
    PROSCHRADERVALVEKIT2.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 1
  • PROSCHRADERVALVEKIT4.jpg
    PROSCHRADERVALVEKIT4.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 2
  • PROSCHRADERVALVEKIT5.jpg
    PROSCHRADERVALVEKIT5.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 0
  • PROSCHRADERVALVEKIT3.jpg
    PROSCHRADERVALVEKIT3.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 2
  • PROSCHRADERVALVEKIT6.jpg
    PROSCHRADERVALVEKIT6.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
That's a neat tool!
But for occasional issues I came up with a different solution. Instead of the plastic dust cap, I cut a metric bolt to the right length that threads into the fitting with a gasket around the head. Seals it permanently and avoids the need to replace the valve.
I was annoyed when the new high side valve I installed leaked just as bad as the old one :mad:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online