Leaky Rack?

JayArr

Original poster
Sep 24, 2018
Mission BC Canada
Take a look at the pics attached. I noticed a lot of gunk on the steering lines at the rack but what baffles me is that it almost looks like the leaking fluid ran UP the lines. Anyone else ever see this?

Just looking at the lines on Rock Auto and it seems like this may be the opportunity to buy one of those hand operated hydraulic hose end crimpers. :yaay:

Attachments

• PA080022.JPG
    PA080022.JPG
    461.7 KB · Views: 17
  • PA080023.JPG
    PA080023.JPG
    435.2 KB · Views: 17

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
They don't look wet, just sweaty with dirt encrusted. With the engine out, it would be a good time to swap them out.

JayArr

Original poster
Sep 24, 2018
Mission BC Canada
That's what I was thinking, I "may as well..."

I dislike paying for "lines" it's $10 worth of parts put together with a machine I don't own and then the price becomes $75. I just can't justify spending $2K on a hydraulic hose crimper.

Reactions: Mooseman

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
FWIW... There is one other possible source for that "Sticky Gunk".... Check the positions of the Gel-Filled Motor Mounts. When they fail... by splitting in the carcass under heavy compression... that "Black Jelly" can get squirted out and get all over anything nearby. The consistency and condition caused by that stuff can make for a sticky durable Tar Oil Like presence that will not easily break down and collect dirt and road debris.

JayArr

Original poster
Sep 24, 2018
Mission BC Canada
I would never have thought of that, I didn't even know the mounts were gell filled, thanks MRRSM. I went out and checked them and they are whole so that wasn't the problem here. I'll just buy a new pressure line and 6 feet of hose to replace the soft return line sections. It's probably a one penny o-ring at the connection to the rack but I don't want to take the chance and have to replace a line after the engine is back in.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online