leaking hoses where they connect to the rack

gmc4flash

Original poster
Mar 25, 2015
2002 envoy, when turning the wheel left and right, fuid sprays out the triangular block where the 2 lines go into the rack. I did a searc but did not find any posts describing leaks like mine. My question is, has anyone tried just replacing the 2 o-ring seals (item 11 and 13)in the steering pdf from the shop manual. When I look in alldata they say replace those when replacing the hoses... but I wonder if replacing just the seals in my case would solve this? Any thoughts?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Sounds like a leaking o-ring. There are two of them, one for pressure and one for return. Which type you need depends on one factor if you ever had the lines replaced to the rack. If that's the case, it would use the o-ring type. If not, then both use the older cup version.

gmc4flash

Original poster
Mar 25, 2015
Thanks for the replies, we have only owned the truck for 3 years and have never touched the hoses, but that does not mean they have not been replaced before. Is there any way to tell by looking at them? Alldata says I need a special removal tool for the older cup type, however I read on 1 site that using a large threaded bolt like a lag bolt will allow you to pop them out.(sounds weird right?) In any case it is in the 20's outside now and w/o a heated garage ... I will be waiting to do this for a slightly warmer day! I guess I could find both seal types and have them when I do remove the bolt and disconnect the hoses.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
In Post Message #4 of the link I mentioned just above, @cornchip has a simple trick that seems to work just as well as any specialty tool to 'coax out the cups'. Read the results of using his technique from a very satisfied member who tried it and found out how well it worked .... further down in that same thread at Post Message #14. IAEF... RTFP. ;>)

Last edited:

gmc4flash

Original poster
Mar 25, 2015
right I had planned to try the "1/4" inch open end wrench method! (I reread that whole post after posting above... ) :wink:

Last edited:

gmc4flash

Original poster
Mar 25, 2015
thought I should follow back up on this, the issue turned out to be a cracked high pressure line, it goes from one end of the rack into the other end of the rack, it is not for sale, however my mechanic managed to get his supplier to let him rob one off a new unit and send back the bad one. ps works again.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online