Leaking fuel line at pump (a gripe)

NJTB

Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
Just got done replacing the fuel pump and the plastic fuel lines, due to them rusting out. Both steel lines broke as I was trying to get the clip out, so I needed new ones NOW. The dealer is brutally expensive on parts, even though I get a discount.
Of course, I broke some damn valve in the back of the tank (fuel pressure sensor?) because I didn't know it was there and couldn't see it. Another $85, needed it NOW.
At least it didn't leak for the short test ride. Of course, the fuel filler neck metal hose is badly rusted, I'll order one (don't need it NOW) soon.
Thanks for listening to me bitch.

Reactions: Redbeard

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I hear ya. I've been there too with projects before and it is frustrating to have to pay the extra.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

NJTB

Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
I pulled the tank out on Monday and replaced that damn rubber fuel pump gasket. Believe me, the KM tool (4022-A) makes it go so much easier.
The second time you pull the tank it goes much faster, only took about 3 hours.
Sure do hope theres no more check engine light.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
The hardest part for me was benching the tank back into place. I think it took me three hours total to remove the tank, break out the fuel lines from the collar, buy another pump and run to the dealer to get the fuel line clip to put it back in place. And I didn't break anything luckily.

NJTB

Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
Did about 300 miles since repair, no check engine light. it's a relief.
And yes, littleblazer, the first time I pulled the tank there was about 2 gallons of gas in it, this time maybe 4. It makes a difference when you're putting the tank in with the gas sloshing around.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online