leak after replacing Rach and pinion

duckyweed

Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
Staten Island New York
Hi , I just replaced the rack and pinion in my 02 Tb ltz. I got it from Detroit axel.after I put the steering lines in it is leaking really bad is there some kind of seal that goes on the lines where they go in?

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Yes there is they are actually rubber cups. Once you put them onto the rack you have to press the lines in and once the bolt is tightened down your good to go. Hold a second as I look up the part # and link to rockauto for them.

Edit: here's a srceen shot of the ones I got there the gates brand.Screenshot_20200222-155909_Samsung Internet.jpg

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
Id be interested to know if your replacement didnt come with them or if it leaked with them in it. Cant imagine they would come without it but who knows. You can tell if they are in there. they have a brass/copper looking ring around them that stands out from the alloy look of the rack itself. If they are in there be careful changing them. They are not real easy to remove and you dont want to scratch the surface where they sit. I used a bolt that kinda threaded into them and then pulled them out like that.
Its also possible that your old ones are on your lines and now when you plugged in the lines you have them stacked against each....Its possible I dont know how probable but I do know on some lines Ive pulled the seal did come out attached to the lines.

duckyweed

Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
Staten Island New York
Yes there is they are actually rubber cups. Once you put them onto the rack you have to press the lines in and once the bolt is tightened down your good to go. Hold a second as I look up the part # and link to rockauto for them.

Edit: here's a srceen shot of the ones I got there the gates brand.View attachment 93302
I did see those. but wasn't sure. in the picture they looked like the plastic shipping caps I had to take off the new rack. I will have to order them.
thanks

Jul 24, 2012
I was so happy to be done replacing the steering rack I think I would have lost it if it would have leaked.

duckyweed

Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
Staten Island New York
I was so happy to be done replacing the steering rack I think I would have lost it if it would have leaked.

I already installed it twice the 1st had 16 mm threads. I realized I had the wrong one when I went to put the ball joint in. I pulled it out and ordered the correct one with 14mm threads. Now I have to pull it again.

Jul 24, 2012
I already installed it twice the 1st had 16 mm threads. I realized I had the wrong one when I went to put the ball joint in. I pulled it out and ordered the correct one with 14mm threads. Now I have to pull it again.
Brutal!

Third time's the charm, right?

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I had my high-pressure lines replaced by the dealer last year. I ended up with a big leak like you described where the lines enter the rack. Turned out the dealer forgot the two small seals.

Reactions: duckyweed

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online